First Cross Collie x Greyhound

Guest foxtrack
I used a Hancock stud alot of years ago, Wendell I think it was.. The farm was a little messy, with lots of colapsed chicken sheds, but the areas where the dogs were kept seemed to be fine.

I had a great litter of 12 and they all went to working homes and did well. The only other first cross breeder of Collie Greyhounds was aguy called David James. His dogs were supposed to be very good..

the chicken sheds have gone scrap yard still there seems a tidy place dogs looked well and the kennels are clean a lot of boys slag himoff dont know why bred some good fox dogs got one of his now the best hunting cathing and fox killing lurcher that ive seen

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a dog and a bitch the dam to my bitch is a salukixwhippetxgreyhound the sire is a hancock dog he is a 3/8collie5/8greyhound the bitch is a good all round rabbit dog.And my dog he is a 1/4collie3/4greyhound he his a very good dog he will work with my ferrets terriers and my airgun i have a bullx he is not has good a dog than my collie crosses but i love him to bits

hi all iv had two hancock bitches one has now passed away and the other will be a year old in 4 days the first was a half cross and was an awsome dog the pup is a 5;8 3/8 cross whos coming on great, doing every thing i want from her. as to hancocks kennels the few times iv been there iv never seen a problem, alwas clean and the dogs in good condition. now though hes started to knock down the old scrap sheds and put up new moden storage containers, looks good to, i know i was there on sunday picking a pup up fpr my brother, cheers hedge hunter

Nice dogs there Hedge,

I was at Hancocks place about 6 years ago, seemed OK to me, scap cars are nothing to do with David, I think they are part of his sons buisness.

Maca

Speaking about the state of peoples kennels. I remember about three or four years ago being on another hunting forum and there was a thread about Brian Plummer. Someone had said that his kennels were in terrible conditions and dogs were not looked after etc. So, I asked him where about the kennels were located and was given the reply of "Caithness". Now, he had been in Abington in South Lanarkshire for a good few years before then yet someone claims to have been to his kennels in Caithness the week previous to posting on the forum. He had read a previous book and assumed he was still there and because he didn't like the man he decided to slate his kennels.

The point I am trying to get accross is that if enough people say something then others assume that it is true without having seen for themselves.

Yes Hancocks land is messy(or was 5 years back when I was there) but the dogs are all healthy and he does breed alot of good pups.

I have said before that I think half the problem is that people think that by buying a dock from Hancock that it will be a good dog. It won't unless you train it! You can take any puppy and spend time with it training it and i'm sure it would turn out well.

minion not any dog is good ,s its all to do with generaitions of worker to worker ,and being selective about who you sell to and whats in them ive saw 5 gen off the type i keep and no there good qaulities and there hard headed qaulities but all in all breedin is foremost get it right sell or give to the right type of hunters and theyll turn into good or some times great dogs , born out of expierence ,treid the hanckock thing in the eighties by the early ninties moved on to better stamps of dogs and never looked back all the best ,you can give pups as much tme as poss but if they have not the stamina go about them the killing desire to chase the first like the last, season out season in , there no were as good , a couple of instances about line breeding ,there a few woods i kill roe pre ban , there was an old barn, now houses, prying eyes, the wood is 400 yhds from the safety of an ole rail way i send lana over send her away she does the whole feild , nips into the wood pushes a buck out nails it in the next feild no assistance , takes her rabbiting near west linton no nets puts the ferrets in , rabbit bolts catches before it gets any were by the time 1 oclock comes shes got 18 , gives her a rest ,takes her out lamping same night two hares and a roe ,next day ferreting woods she catches 6 i net 4 , then she takes of after a hare two feilds away she catches 5 minutes later hare next to me shees happy ive had hundreds of days with the line bred stuff ,youll never beat family trees of dogs that keep producing good pups all the best , i honestly wish people would open there eyes to pro breeders who con people for every silk purse there hundreds of sows asses.never ever breed of non treid tested etc at what they are meant to do and better still what there owners are , i cant see hanckock working his dogs on much but heel selll you what you want like a car sales man. i won several obeidence trails and got to the finals of a hunting trails with a beardie bitch out of hanckock years ago but the dog was hard work at times and no begginers dog by far, all the best, if you mas produce you get good ones but waht about all the shite that gets sold and the poor b*****ds who get conned feching liberties

minion not any dog is good ,s its all to do with generaitions of worker to worker ,and being selective about who you sell to and whats in them ive saw 5 gen off the type i keep and no there good qaulities and there hard headed qaulities but all in all breedin is foremost get it right sell or give to the right type of hunters and theyll turn into good or some times great dogs , born out of expierence ,treid the hanckock thing in the eighties by the early ninties moved on to better stamps of dogs and never looked back all the best ,you can give pups as much tme as poss but if they have not the stamina go about them the killing desire to chase the first like the last, season out season in , there no were as good , a couple of instances about line breeding ,there a few woods i kill roe pre ban , there was an old barn, now houses, prying eyes, the wood is 400 yhds from the safety of an ole rail way i send lana over send her away she does the whole feild , nips into the wood pushes a buck out nails it in the next feild no assistance , takes her rabbiting near west linton no nets puts the ferrets in , rabbit bolts catches before it gets any were by the time 1 oclock comes shes got 18 , gives her a rest ,takes her out lamping same night two hares and a roe ,next day ferreting woods she catches 6 i net 4 , then she takes of after a hare two feilds away she catches 5 minutes later hare next to me shees happy ive had hundreds of days with the line bred stuff ,youll never beat family trees of dogs that keep producing good pups all the best , i honestly wish people would open there eyes to pro breeders who con people for every silk purse there hundreds of sows asses.never ever breed of non treid tested etc at what they are meant to do and better still what there owners are , i cant see hanckock working his dogs on much but heel selll you what you want like a car sales man. i won several obeidence trails and got to the finals of a hunting trails with a beardie bitch out of hanckock years ago but the dog was hard work at times and no begginers dog by far, all the best, if you mas produce you get good ones but waht about all the shite that gets sold and the poor b*****ds who get conned feching liberties

A few very good and intresting points there whin. I fully see what you are saying and in an ideal world I think most people would agree with you.

The thing is if you are new to lurchers and don't really know anyone what do you do? I went to Hancock because I didn't know where else to go. Perhaps I was one of the lucky ones as I am happy with what I ended up with.

have to agree with whin had a hancock first cross in the late 80s that was a nervy lunatic of a dog that nearly drove me insane,but stuck it out and ended up with a 1st class lamper although at that time used to lamp up perthshire 3-4 times a week ,guess it was make or break and well probarbly she was my best dog catch rate anyway ,but she wasnt my favourite dog mainly because she was hard work training.

have to agree with whin had a hancock first cross in the late 80s that was a nervy lunatic of a dog that nearly drove me insane,but stuck it out and ended up with a 1st class lamper although at that time used to lamp up perthshire 3-4 times a week ,guess it was make or break and well probarbly she was my best dog catch rate anyway ,but she wasnt my favourite dog mainly because she was hard work training.

Would you have another?

haha,funny you should ask,well sort of got a 3/8 5/8 but its bred of the old bitch and a border 3/4 cross cause I reckon the borders are more keen to please you easier to train ,well the dog Ive got now is only 1/8 beardie but hes a bit stubbourn and a complete clown(supose I should expect that) darn! but very keen and looks promising ,hey anyone had this cross and know what height they level out at cause mines 26" and 9mths old still got a lump of knuckle yet to grow out.