i have an array of various heavy lead cartridges....BB are best for fox with AAA a close second......SG with only 9 pellets leaves a sparce pattern at any distance....

A mate of mine suggested I use buckshot for fox shooting I was a lil suspect tha only 9pellets would hit a target at a good distance

Any 1 got any input? I thought they b great for nest blasting on crows that's about it

Big shot is fine for taking out big game at short distances but at longer distances -as you suspect - as they go further and spread the gaps become bigger .

BBs have plenty of weight behind them and enough pellets in the load to hold a pattern at normal shot-gun range.

If in doubt set up some sheets of paper as targets at various ranges,shoot em with different loads ,count the pellet-holes and and see for yourself.

A mate of mine suggested I use buckshot for fox shooting I was a lil suspect tha only 9pellets would hit a target at a good distance

Any 1 got any input? I thought they b great for nest blasting on crows that's about it

I suppose it depends what you mean by 'a good distance'. I wouldn't have thought you would be shooting more than 40 yards to get a clean kill.

Try them, why not!

Really though I've used them for years as the last chance shell foxing in my 3 shot Semi, they are really good for busting Squirrel Drays and Crow's

nests, also for up close smashing through brush and scrub. A word of warning, they carry a long way and richochet of hard ground very badly,

(one .22 rifle bullet is bad enough but 9 x .38 calibre lead balls going here there and everywhere is far from funny).

The pattern is non existant, you can fluke a fox from 120 yards now then miss one from 40 yards 5 minutes later, also I've found that choke has the

opposite effect with big shot, use a cylinder choke to achieve the best results.

I generally buy Lylevale Express SSG's, but as the other lads say AAA or BB is the alround best bet. AF

• 2 weeks later...

no, so few pellets will open up at range and leave you with holes big enough for a fox to pass through or only be wounded, I've shot several, the furthest at 1bout 37m with 50gm of BB, kicks like hell, but is definitely the load for the job if the gun can handle it.