Ratting again

Went for our usual ratting today, me, herdwick, Water Badger and L&A plus the terriers.

Started off fairly slowly but soon got into the swing of things. They were alot less keen to bolt today but Water Badger was like a machine with the spade. He gets rather excited, even coursing a rat down the open field without the dogs! He took it with a perfect sliding tackle and was helped at the finish by Ollie. Herdwick and i were in stitches!

L&A's pup Maggy did extremely well for her second time out. No problem catching and killing the rats, except one that got hold of the top of her head, made her holler a bit until Ollie dealt with it for her, and starting to copy the older dogs marking and digging. Water Badgers Mabel did well and kept going til the end, not bad considering she's just had her 13th birthday! Herdwicks pack were on their usual excellent form with Snuff and Lizzie's guaranteed marking and Trilby and little Bristle catching digging and marking like crazy. My Ollie was his usual self getting stuck into everything, his marking has become extemely reliable over the last few weeks and he does love killing rats! He's even stopped carrying them halfway across the field which is a shame as it kept herdwick nice and busy!

The dogs worked themselves into the ground today and took some punishment, i think a couple will be out of action for a few days. By the end they were so tired they werent even killing the rats, just catching them. They kept going though and got the job done and made the keeper a happy man.

We ended the day of 86 rats plus about 6 small ones that got eaten in the excitement. L&A was the photgrapher for the day so im sure he'll be added pictures soon :thumbs:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that was full on I am whacked Mable is out of it bathed cutts ointment in eyes will grab some pics and put them up :thumbs:

what a day fantastic surroundings :notworthy: just shows if you gain peoples trust and bide by the fildsports law showing respect to peoples property and you quarry you can gain some quality invites. thanks for the invite herdwick/tyler and thanks for your company L and A :toast:

that was full on I am whacked Mable is out of it bathed cutts ointment in eyes will grab some pics and put them up :thumbs:

what a day fantastic surroundings :notworthy: just shows if you gain peoples trust and bide by the fildsports law showing respect to peoples property and you quarry you can gain some quality invites. thanks for the invite herdwick/tyler and thanks for your company L and A :toast:

Your welcome mate, probably have a last crack at them next week. Now its ploughed i expect they'll move soon. All the dogs are done in, just been round herdwick and his are all passed out and Ollie is zonked on the sofa as a special treat!

Very good day for a number of reasons.

Doing the keeper a good turn so hopefully we'll be able to go back next year!

Getting L and A's pup going. By the end of the day she was hunting like an old stager! Killed a few rats herself and was marking and digging by the middle of the afternoon. For a 7 month old pup on only her 2nd outing, she did very well.

Watching Water Badger doing his 200 yard rat coursing, without a dog! Tyla and I were in fits! Hopefully LandA was taking pictures. WB has so much enthusiasm and introduced some new phrases into the field sports vocabulary!

Was a hard day for the dogs.... my 4 are absolutely knackered and pretty chewed up. 2 of mine, and Tyla's Ollie have had to have antibiotic jabs, but hopefully will be ok by tomorrow.

Thanks for the entertaining day, and hopefully LandA's pics will be up soon.

Edited by herdwick

Sounds like a cracking day out lads, gutted i missed out but there's only 1 Mothers day a year and it all bodes well for future trips out :thumbs: I'm sure if Doll's was there today she'd still of managed to kill the little blighters, after all you guy's keep telling me how she ' may be a little hard mouthed ' :doh::D

As for WB giving me grief i would start on him but him ' Laying in a field posing with rats like he's doing a catalog shoot ' is enough for anyone to see who's the :wankerzo4: :feck:

Looking forward to the pics, glad it's not me doing them for a change :snack:

Edited by blackstaff

Sorry for the delay with the pics gents, didn't get home till late and then it took for ever to upload a sample of the pics.

I had another fantastic day today so thank you again Herdwick and Tyla for letting me tag along :notworthy: . It was great meeting WB for the first time and he made me laugh all through the day what with his funny sayings and him chasing down the rats at the other end of the field :toast: .

Here's a small taster of the 500 odd pics I took today and I'll add the rest tomorrow when they finally finish uploading :wallbash: .

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg