Hancock Poll

Guest world.hunters

Hancock Dogs What Do You Think  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Hancock Dogs What Do You Think

• Good
    • Shite
    • Never Had One

Agree, lets hear the comments lads/lasses, to those who have actually owned them. ;)

Frank.

Frank,

you know Frank, dogs are a lot like women, maybe the one you have, you would like to trade in for something better but then when you get another one you find that it has faults in other areas.

I do not think there is a perfect anthing, close sometimes but perfect I do not think so, I think if you have a dog that suits you and what you do, and everybody is differant, then that is all that matters to you,who cares about what a lot of the clowns that post on here say,I think we can all sive through the people who are clowns and who are not, it always amuses me to read some of the crap coments that some people make on this forum, coments about some of the old timers who have a world of knowlege in their heads but can not respond to some of the wiz kids computer experts on here because they probably do not even know how to turn on a computer, some of those old timers have more knowlege in their little finger than these computer wiz kids will ever have in a life time,thats if they ever do own more than one dog, I think quite a few of the guys on here are just out and out shit stirers.

Yes I do have a hancock dog, yes she does suite me, yes she has her foults but then so do I. to the computer wiz kids, I hope you find that perfect dog.

Maca

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good post there maca,full respect to you for telling it the way it is ;) i think youve made some really good points in what youve written which i totally agree with,well said lad.i myself have owned and run a hancock cross back in the early 90,s which was a decent dog,took all legal quarry with him,had his faults but this is something every cross has,have kept quite up to now on the matter but some of the stuff ive read about this man has made me cringe with embaresment,the one that spings to mind is "pedophile" something or other when this was brought up before,sure his kennels mabye not in the best state but i think all his pups leave his premises healthy,i know mine did and also my mates pup did too about 5 years ago,but then it gets interesting as anybody can go and pick up a pup,but can everybody then get the best out the same pup in question :hmm: so now we have shit a dog from a dodgey guy with a dodgey beard blah blah blah............ jesus,no wonder our sport was so easily banned recently....think about it people,opinions is one thing but some of the sh*te on here is a joke

As i stated in an earlier thread i owned a hancock half cross couldnt fault her for lamping,ferreting,daytime rabbits she was worked hard for five seasons and never let me down caught as much out the beam as she did in it where most dogs would pull up at the hedgebottom she would carry on and as a result always caught more than the average lurcher best night fifty six bunnies three woodcock and six partridges a tough bitch that never let me down the dog i have at the moments line bred and goes back to her brother

FACT, i have one half cross border grey bitch, very fast as half crosses go, endless stamina, rediculously clever, easy to train, easy to live with, very gregarious. DOWNSIDES, sometimes on the lamp to powerfull, she over runs the rabbit, she cannot bare to be parted from me.

NEXT, i have a 5 eighth 3 eighth beardie grey, eleven months old bitch, explosive take off,natural hunter from the day Hancock sold her to me, very usefull on ferreting jobs, always in the right place, again very clever, loves to meet people and dogs, even though she is still a pup the few times i have used her on the lamp she is as good as any lamp dog ive seen in 30 years, like i said shes a natural. DOWNSIDES, thief, sometimes herds the other one when playing, more challenging in training, again cant bare to be parted from me or the other bitch, to be honest though i dont see that a problem but some might.

I think that is a unbiased opinion of my dogs i think anyone who knows them would say it was a fair assesment. IF this constitutes crap Hancock dogs, then i have crap dogs. :thumbs-up:

I have a 3/8 5/8 dog out of Enock he's ten this year,pre ban he was the best day time foxing lurcher that I have seen.He will hunt,find,mark in,catch and draw.I have also taken all other legal quarry with him.My mate has a young 3/8 5/8 from Hancock but from a different sire,as Enock is no longer with us.So it will be interesting to see how he comes on and compares.But he is a very boisterous young dog and definately not shy in any way in fact he's a bit too much at times.

Is there not enough about Hancock on this an other hunting sites?

Do we have to go through this every couple of months?

f**k, it's boring

Not had a cup of tea yet my love :whistle: ..........somebody got out the wrong side of the bed this morning :D .

J

never owned 1 only ever known 1 person who has but he seems to do alright ! i personally am not a fan of collies i've found they think to much i'd rarther have a dog that'll just comit it's self and not weight up the pro's and cons first ! just my personal opion ! but each to there own !

FACT, i have one half cross border grey bitch, very fast as half crosses go, endless stamina, rediculously clever, easy to train, easy to live with, very gregarious. DOWNSIDES, sometimes on the lamp to powerfull, she over runs the rabbit, she cannot bare to be parted from me.

NEXT, i have a 5 eighth 3 eighth beardie grey, eleven months old bitch, explosive take off,natural hunter from the day Hancock sold her to me, very usefull on ferreting jobs, always in the right place, again very clever, loves to meet people and dogs, even though she is still a pup the few times i have used her on the lamp she is as good as any lamp dog ive seen in 30 years, like i said shes a natural. DOWNSIDES, thief, sometimes herds the other one when playing, more challenging in training, again cant bare to be parted from me or the other bitch, to be honest though i dont see that a problem but some might.

I think that is a unbiased opinion of my dogs i think anyone who knows them would say it was a fair assesment. IF this constitutes crap Hancock dogs, then i have crap dogs. :thumbs-up:

i too have a half cross bitch from hancock she is 14 month old and sounds like a mixture of both yours has hunted from the 1st day i had her. takes rabbits on the lamp with ease and caught her 1st daytime hare at the weekend havent pushed her yet so dont know how many she could catch in 1 night but cant wait to find out! as for the conditions of his kennels i didnt think they were any worse than the hunt kennels i have seen.

as for breeding worker to worker there is no more guarentee that they will be good! a crap dog is usually down to the owner not breeder!

ive owned two over the years one was a good allrounder and was keen and alert and was good at what juckler said taking rabbits out of the hedge bottom. If a rabbiting dog can,t do this it is no use to me, as you all know a lot of rabbits on the lamp are taken this way. The second dog was as different again and was given to a pet home at the age of four. In hind sight I would only buy now from someone I know who was breeding a litter to get a pup for themselves from two proven workers. Its a chance working dog owners shouldn,t be prepared to take, and if we all used this ethic then we would have less duff dogs about, and less dogs in the dogs homes! This is not accounting of course for duff owners! :censored:

• 2 years later...

Dad has a Hancock dog and can honestly say its best all round dog i have ever seen and i have seen a lot.Works all quarry very well and as for speed it is unreal and was Sussex Longdog race champion 2006,07&08 and was never beaten and @ times was againt pure Greys.Shame broke achilles ruined him so is now just used for ferriting and he has just lined it with his small greyhound bitch

Guest sph1979

The dog i had off him that was supposed to be 24tts grew and grew and grew he finaly stopped and 291/2 tts, he wasn't any good for ferreting like got him for. the other i had was shite she had 2 seasons and wasnt intrested in chasing. nightmare. On the other hand my mate has one now.she is an A1 all rounder, she retieves off water and from out of the hide (birds) and is also a very good lamping bitch i think it depends at the time

Edited by sph1979

Hi all. Just thought i would put my opinion on. Surely people that pick Hancock dogs do so with out really understanding what the breeder is offering. They are getting a base line, a genuine collie cross. Most people in the lurcher game could not tell you what breeds are in their dogs. Not saying their is any thing wrong in this if they do the job you want it for. But if you are after a genuine collie cross than that is what you will get from Hancock. Then it is up to you to put all the time in to make the dog the best you have had. Hancock does not state they are worker x worker breed, what he does say is collie x lurcher and that is what you get. To be honest 20 years of breeding and still have people coming back he must be doing something right. I have never owned one but seen a lot worked, some good some not so good. But put the same owners with different dogs and would the out come be the same. It is not always about the breeder or the dog. I take my hat of to him for staying with the breed he has. A lot of breeder would follow fashions and breed with what is popular at the time. Y I S Pete

Hi all. Just thought i would put my opinion on. Surely people that pick Hancock dogs do so with out really understanding what the breeder is offering. They are getting a base line, a genuine collie cross. Most people in the lurcher game could not tell you what breeds are in their dogs. Not saying their is any thing wrong in this if they do the job you want it for. But if you are after a genuine collie cross than that is what you will get from Hancock. Then it is up to you to put all the time in to make the dog the best you have had. Hancock does not state they are worker x worker breed, what he does say is collie x lurcher and that is what you get. To be honest 20 years of breeding and still have people coming back he must be doing something right. I have never owned one but seen a lot worked, some good some not so good. But put the same owners with different dogs and would the out come be the same. It is not always about the breeder or the dog. I take my hat of to him for staying with the breed he has. A lot of breeder would follow fashions and breed with what is popular at the time. Y I S Pete

valid enough point but theres alot more to it.

at the end of the day mate it depends what u want to do,if ur into lamping,ferreting or just moochin (abit of this abit of that) i personly think hancock breads are sound,my mate as used them for years and there very good at what they do.if ur into coursing then i wouldnt have 1 given.when hes come with me for a days coursing over the years his dogs av never lasted the course or av just simply been shown up by my dogs :big_boss: