Spur of the moment ferreting

No work today due to material cock up.

Contemplated ratting but Blackstaff had a bit of new ground that the owners wanted ferretted. I thought we'd finished for the year but as it was new ground we decided to give it a go anyway.

It was Blackstaff, myself and a buddy of his. We took Parker, Willow my pup, Dolly the staff and her daughter Pearl. We had the long nets and three of my jills.

There were plenty of rabbits in evidence when we arrived and after a quick chat with the owner we started on a sprawling open bury. We surrounded it with longnets and worked Parker and Dolly inside the net. We took 10 from this bury, some netted and some caught by the dogs with a couple dug at just over a foot.

After tea and choclate biscuits provided by the owner we started on the hedgerows bolting to the dogs. Bolted about 8 and dogs, now Parker and Pearl, caught about half of them. Some really good runs though!

Next bury was rabbit fenced on 3 sides and we slung a net accross the fourth. My pup Willow has been ferreting several times to watch but, aside from carrying rabbits, not done anything. Shes now nearly seven months and this bury gave her every advantage so i thought i'd let her try. The bury turned out to be huge, running under a sand school, the rabbits didnt want to bolt but three did. One through a hole we missed, one jumped the rabbit fence followed by Willow and narrowly escaped, the other hit the long net and was held by her. I was pleased. The watching has paid off, she was very turned on, watching for bolts, marking well. Im really looking forward to next season, love watching puppies learn!

She and Parker went back in the van and it was Dolly and Pearls turn. We did one last bury where, typically, one of the jills got laid up. While Blackstaff dug her out we were brought more tea and biscuits. The owner also has some stables to be rebuilt and a pond to be dug, handy as im a chippy and blackstaff a ground worker! Could be a profitable contact!

We ended the day on 18 rabbits and a pint on the way home. What a nice note to end the season on!

Cheers Blackstaff and hurry up with those pictures! :thumbs:

What a cracking day :boogie: All the dogs ahd a nice day out and Willow was really good to watch. You could see her change as she started to hear the movement underfoot, and was right next to where her rabit bolted from so all huge steps in the right direction. I was impressed with Pearls marking too, a bunny in a pile of logs that didn't manage to make a getaway :D Thanks for a really enjoyable day out bud, plus the fact of the new 7 fields for lamping hopefully back end f the week :whistling::thumbs:

Here are a couple of pics to wet your appetite, hit the link at the bottom to see the whole day's pics :thumbs: a couple of people have suggested to post a couple rather than just a link :angel:

FerretingMarch11032.jpg

FerretingMarch11060.jpg

FerretingMarch11061.jpg

FerretingMarch11107.jpg

FerretingMarch11124.jpg

FerretingMarch11148.jpg

FerretingMarch11172.jpg

The link to see all pics

http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/blackstaff2/Ferreting%20march%2011/?albumview=slideshow

Thats more like it, much better with a few pics on the post! The pics on photobucket are really good. Twas a really good day, i forgot about Pearl's log pile mark in the write up and Dolly's sneezing fit!

just looked thru the pics lads. williow is beautiful tyla, like the ones of you together. good to hear parker proformed again.

and black staff the one of dolls sneezing makes her look like she is laughting!! haha good old dolls and pearl they work together really well.

:)

Good read that, and loads of pics on that slide show ,, nice to see the staffie working and in great nick too,,

a cracking day by all acouts , and its got to beat real work :thumbs:

Cheers TOMO, it sure is :D this recession has done wonders for my days out this season, not doing my bank balance any good but you cant have everything lol!

Cheers rascal, she did well yesterday im really looking forward to next season

Dogger, the sneezing all started with nettle stings but everytime she sneezed she sucked up more dust! Blackstaff had to move her onto the grass in the end! By the way, what happened with Parkers litter brother? Did you find him a working home in the end?