Anybody go Saturday/Sunday?

What did everybody think?

Personally I thought it was the biggest load of crap iv ever seen. I think the show organisers really should re think the people they use as judges. You pay a lot of money to get into the ground, and then don't even get a fair look in with your dog. It seems to me that it's not about the dog on the end of the lead anymore, it's the person on the upper end that's bloody holding it.

Iv been to a few now and it's the same old shite. You see the same old faces turn up and you know who's going to win before any of the dogs get out of the car!!

If something doesn't change and un compramised judges bought in, I can see the shows falling apart and being no more because I can't see people wanting to keep getting ripped off with extortionate rates just to be made fools of.

There are some people who have got some lovely dogs and are not getting the justice they deserve. To be honest, I am glad I am no longer passionate about showing anymore as I would feel completely let down by the "face picking" that happens in the showing world today. If you go back 15 years to my day, it was a lot different.

Personally I thought it was the biggest load of crap iv ever seen. I think the show organisers really should re think the people they use as judges. You pay a lot of money to get into the ground, and then don't even get a fair look in with your dog. It seems to me that it's not about the dog on the end of the lead anymore, it's the person on the upper end that's bloody holding it.

Iv been to a few now and it's the same old shite. You see the same old faces turn up and you know who's going to win before any of the dogs get out of the car!!

If something doesn't change and un compramised judges bought in, I can see the shows falling apart and being no more because I can't see people wanting to keep getting ripped off with extortionate rates just to be made fools of.

There are some people who have got some lovely dogs and are not getting the justice they deserve. To be honest, I am glad I am no longer passionate about showing anymore as I would feel completely let down by the "face picking" that happens in the showing world today. If you go back 15 years to my day, it was a lot different.

i went sunday yes a bit pricey for the size of the venue but as iv never shown a dog in my life and never likely to either, its just a stroll around with my bitch taking it all in for me,just like looking at all the different types really.

i wouldnt get involved in showing myself just not my thing but hey each to their own eh,i thought it was supposed to be a bit of fun and a get together with a few lads for a bit of banter which i had with a couple lads but all seems far to serious to some folk for my liking .

a bloke parked next to me seemed to have a dog for every class lol when i asked if he worked them he said yes all of them,f**k me the lad must have some time on his hands,came across as a typical rosette hunter to me,and theres always the chance of watching someone get layed out by a dog on the simulated coursing :D

i went sunday yes a bit pricey for the size of the venue but as iv never shown a dog in my life its just a stroll around with my bitch taking it all in for me,just like looking at all the different types really.

i wouldnt get involved in showing myself just not my thing but hey each to their own eh,i thought it was supposed to be a bit of fun and a get together with a few lads but all seems far to serious for my liking .

a bloke parked next to me seemed to have a dog for every class lol when i asked if he worked them he said yes all of them,f**k me the lad must have some time on his hands :D

Yes I agree completely. Nowdays it is very serious and seems like 90% of the dogs haven't seen a days work in their life. I go every now and then because my daughter doesn't drive but likes them and occasionally you bump into a few old faces and you have a laugh, but I'm glad iv only an oldie left and have no drive for them now

i went sunday yes a bit pricey for the size of the venue but as iv never shown a dog in my life its just a stroll around with my bitch taking it all in for me,just like looking at all the different types really.

i wouldnt get involved in showing myself just not my thing but hey each to their own eh,i thought it was supposed to be a bit of fun and a get together with a few lads but all seems far to serious for my liking .

a bloke parked next to me seemed to have a dog for every class lol when i asked if he worked them he said yes all of them,f**k me the lad must have some time on his hands :D

Yes I agree completely. Nowdays it is very serious and seems like 90% of the dogs haven't seen a days work in their life. I go every now and then because my daughter doesn't drive but likes them and occasionally you bump into a few old faces and you have a laugh, but I'm glad iv only an oldie left and have no drive for them now

think there will always be the big stigma between show dogs and showing working dogs mate never likely to change if you ask me like i say you have a bit of banter with a few lads dont take long to realise the true workers amongst them :thumbs:

think there will always be the big stigma between show dogs and showing working dogs mate never likely to change if you ask me like i say you have a bit of banter with a few lads dont take long to realise the true workers amongst them :thumbs:

Absolutely. Things will never change

No , things will never change ,you will allways get people complaining about winners of classes not being workers.

Just how a judge is supposed to evaluate a dogs working ability from his brief time observing it in a ring, and running his hands over it, has never been satisfactorily explained.

All a judge can do is pick out the dogs that in his opinion ; based on their conformation,condition,and movement ,would be the most likely to catch his dinner, throw in temperament and thats all a judge can decide on.

As to deciding which dogs are the true workers ,based on "a bit of banter with the lads",very scientific, I've yet to hear anyone slag off their dog ,and I can assure you there are many more rabbits and hares[preban] caught in show beer tents than are ever caught in fields.

To decide which dogs are good workers, you need to go out with them and their owners for several hunting trips, not really practical is it?

Show classes are about appearances, not ability, a judge ,if he or she is competent ,can make a stab at selcting the best 3 or 4 based on the former, but cannot, [unless they are psychic,] do anything but guess about the ability of an animal.

So, I guess we will hear the same old song after every show.

No , things will never change ,you will allways get people complaining about winners of classes not being workers.

Just how a judge is supposed to evaluate a dogs working ability from his brief time observing it in a ring, and running his hands over it, has never been satisfactorily explained.

All a judge can do is pick out the dogs that in his opinion ; based on their conformation,condition,and movement ,would be the most likely to catch his dinner, throw in temperament and thats all a judge can decide on.

As to deciding which dogs are the true workers ,based on "a bit of banter with the lads",very scientific, I've yet to hear anyone slag off their dog ,and I can assure you there are many more rabbits and hares[preban] caught in show beer tents than are ever caught in fields.

To decide which dogs are good workers, you need to go out with them and their owners for several hunting trips, not really practical is it?

Show classes are about appearances, not ability, a judge ,if he or she is competent ,can make a stab at selcting the best 3 or 4 based on the former, but cannot, [unless they are psychic,] do anything but guess about the ability of an animal.

I was talking more on the terrier side as obviously their work is a lot easier to spot. I completely agree with what your saying, but when you go to 4 separate shows with the same person judging and the same people winning every one, would you not think that a bit suspicious?

I was talking more on the terrier side as obviously their work is a lot easier to spot. I completely agree with what your saying, but when you go to 4 separate shows with the same person judging and the same people winning every one, would you not think that a bit suspicious?

I don't keep terriers ,and would not presume to judge them, but I am allways a bit wary of assuming a dog is a good worker ,just because it has a few scars on it.

It might just be a clumsy sod.Some dogs seem able to cut themselves on a blade of grass.

In any case should a judge put up a dog that is a worker in preference to one who is better put together, but is not?

If the same dog was put up at 4 different shows by different judges I would assume it was clearly the outstanding looking animal.The same judge? well, it might depend on where the shows were held and how close ,or far apart they took place? Altermatively the dog just might be that much better than its rivals.

I go to two, possibly 3 shows a year, I never take my dogs, as I've no interest in winning a rosette,but for those that have, it is as well to remember that it is only one person's opinion,and then only on that day.

I didn't watch the terrier classes so I don't know who was judging,I had a look at the lurcher ring as a friend was running the showing. I didn't know the judge ,and the classes were small,it began to rain so I left.

On the subject of the same judges being used ,again, and again, not every body wants to do it,it is a thankless job, as the complaints on here illustrate

Bear in mind ,sometimes organisers have to run with who is available.

.I was asked to judge the lurchers this year but declined,the show is only a few miles from me, and I do think it is better do get a judge from another area ,if possible, seems I made the right choice. :thumbs:

:thumbs: Sensible words and a canny decision there Inan :yes:

Bottom line with most dog shows is that they are primarily 'beauty contests',..and nothing more than that.

Folk have always enjoyed pitting their dogs, against one another, be it on the field, or in the show ring, and it is the competitive element in such people that can cause bad feeling..

I've stood in the centre of the ring, on many occasions and seen the look in the eyes, of some competitors, and they sure as hell hadn't travelled half way around the UK , just for some lighthearted craic....

They are in it, to win it,... :laugh:

That being said,..there are perhaps too many shows, and too many judges,...

I've often thought that it might be far better to have less shows, and maybe use a few experienced guys, who have integrity and honesty,stamped all over them...and who have the respect of us all.

Just my take on it,..and I could well be wrong...

All the best,.CHALKWARREN... :toast:

Im not trying to argue but when you have a judge standing at the back of said persons car laughing and joking and approximately 10 lads on the outside of the ring disagreeing with what was done, is it only one persons opinion? There was a lad there with a flat hat who had some very nice russels and didn't even get a look in. Surely the "best dog" in the show should not have a faceful of hair trimmed and pruned in a square? Is that really what terrier shows have come to?

Im not trying to argue but when you have a judge standing at the back of said persons car laughing and joking and approximately 10 lads on the outside of the ring disagreeing with what was done, is it only one persons opinion? There was a lad there with a flat hat who had some very nice russels and didn't even get a look in. Surely the "best dog" in the show should not have a faceful of hair trimmed and pruned in a square? Is that really what terrier shows have come to?

When judging ,I avoid friends and acquaintances precisely because ,even the most casual greeting may be misconstrued ,and interpreted as you are "in their pocket etc."

As I said it's a thankless task ,and a lonely one on the day.

ChalkWarren knows all about it,I beleive he passes up invites to judge now ,and I don't blame him.

You make one friend, [the winner ] ,and very often ,several enemies [those who did not win],you can be in the ring for several hours ,Ive finished at 6 pm ,when the classes are big,a good steward is a great asset ,but far from a given.

Nowadays my knees ,and back start to creak after crouching, watching dogs movement, and running your hands over them, lifting up their feet ,flexing their wrists etc.

All for your diesel ,to and fro ,and ,if you're lucky ,a sandwich and a cup of tea.

I have judged my club's show, [EELC] , 3 times ,and that is to show willing, I'm in no hurry to volunteer for other shows, perhaps some of the dissatisfied entries should put themselves forward as candidates for abuse ?

a bit of banter with the lads",very scientific,

sorry didnt mean it like that,i just meant when you start talking to lads you get to realise how small a world it is sometimes with whos been out running with who, lads that actualy work their dogs as apposed to the lads purely into showing obviously dont talk to all of them but some you know for sure,no a judge is not to know but then as im never involved doesnt matter to me does it,i was just saying :thumbs: im sure its a difficult job at the best of times picking the prettiest of a bunch :D

surely it should be all about just enjoying the day out with the dogs rather than bitching about someones descision on this that or the other :thumbs:

sorry didnt mean it like that,i just meant when you start talking to lads you get to realise how small a world it is sometimes with whos been out running with who, lads that actualy work their dogs as apposed to the lads purely into showing obviously dont talk to all of them but some you know for sure,no a judge is not to know but then as im never involved doesnt matter to me does it,i was just saying :thumbs: im sure its a difficult job at the best of times picking the prettiest of a bunch :D

surely it should be all about just enjoying the day out with the dogs rather than bitching about someones descision on this that or the other :thumbs:

No apologies needed ,sorry if I came across a bit snotty, :thumbs:

No apologies needed ,sorry if I came across a bit snotty, :thumbs:

no problem mate :thumbs: