First taste of ratting

This is my first writeup so please be gentle.

I was envited out to join Herdwick, Tyla, Blackstaff and his boy Bill for a days ratting. This was my first time ratting and I took my 8 month old pup along for her first taste too. When we got there we let my pup meet the pack for a little bit then it was straight onto the action.

We walked up the hill to the first sent of holes and the dogs started marking straight away. Tyla started up the smoker and it wasn't long before the rats started bolting, one after another they were quickly dispatched by the dogs. A couple of the dogs moved on up the hill and started marking and digging again at another set of holes so we followed them up and soon enough more rats were bolting and being picked off by the awaiting dogs. There were so many holes but the dogs made it easy showing where to consentrate on.

After the dogs had caught around 15 rats my pup finally had her chance when a large one ran straight past her, she turned and was off after it and I was over the moon when she took hold of it, quickly followed by Tyla's terrier who grabbed the other end to help her out.

It was great seeing all the dogs working together and how they all work differently. Blackstaff' Stafford dispatched the rats before you could even blink, Herdwick' dogs were awesome markers, if they marked a hole you new there was someone at home. Tyla' terrier was made for digging, shovling dirt behind him like there's no tomorrow and my little pup, well I've never seen a dog eat so much sheeps sh*t :sick: .

We where there for around 3 hours and caught 29 good sized rats which you will see shortly on Blackstaffs pictures and I think he was very creative in the way he laid them out for the end of day photo. I learnt a lot today but I think the main thing that stood out was that even though it was handy having the smoker it was far more important having a dog that was a good marker.

Lastly I'd like to thank Herdwick, Tyla and Blackstaff for having me along today and giving me and my pup our first taste of ratting.

• Like 1

I was envited out to join Herdwick, Tyla, Blackstaff and his boy Bill for a days ratting. This was my first time ratting and I took my 8 month old pup along for her first taste too. When we got there we let my pup meet the pack for a little bit then it was straight onto the action.

We walked up the hill to the first sent of holes and the dogs started marking straight away. Tyla started up the smoker and it wasn't long before the rats started bolting, one after another they were quickly dispatched by the dogs. A couple of the dogs moved on up the hill and started marking and digging again at another set of holes so we followed them up and soon enough more rats were bolting and being picked off by the awaiting dogs. There were so many holes but the dogs made it easy showing where to consentrate on.

After the dogs had caught around 15 rats my pup finally had her chance when a large one ran straight past her, she turned and was off after it and I was over the moon when she took hold of it, quickly followed by Tyla's terrier who grabbed the other end to help her out.

It was great seeing all the dogs working together and how they all work differently. Blackstaff' Stafford dispatched the rats before you could even blink, Herdwick' dogs were awesome markers, if they marked a hole you new there was someone at home. Tyla' terrier was made for digging, shovling dirt behind him like there's no tomorrow and my little pup, well I've never seen a dog eat so much sheeps sh*t :sick: .

We where there for around 3 hours and caught 29 good sized rats which you will see shortly on Blackstaffs pictures and I think he was very creative in the way he laid them out for the end of day photo. I learnt a lot today but I think the main thing that stood out was that even though it was handy having the smoker it was far more important having a dog that was a good marker.

Lastly I'd like to thank Herdwick, Tyla and Blackstaff for having me along today and giving me and my pup our first taste of ratting.

Great write-up mate. Hopefully i'll put my first one up as soon as i find some rats for my pup to get hold of... fingers crossed

Great write-up mate. Hopefully i'll put my first one up as soon as i find some rats for my pup to get hold of... fingers crossed

Thank mate :thumbs: and good luck finding your pup some rats.

what a rubbish write up. you forgot the intresting part involing bare feet and a carpark!!!

haha only joking buddy. sounds like you lot had a good day. would have loved to of been there.

and the puos a lil cuteie mate all the best with her!

:)

lol I new I'd forgotten something.

Thanks mate.

Nice cherry popper bud :whistling::thumbs: See once you put your mind to it YOU CAN DO IT :D You did miss out about the first throw of the rat to Bill :icon_eek: and what about my singing ??????? 4 men 1 boy 7 dogs 1 spade 1 t bar 1 smoker 1 picker up thing went catch some rats, some rats near the meadows :blush: Glad you enjoyed yourself, it was definately a fun filled few hours for all of us :clapping: . The good thing is you worried about your post for 1 1/2 hours, i've been doing these pics for alot longer :D On a serious note the pup did really well today and fitted in lovely. Only just though bearing in mind she had doubled in size by the time we got back due to all the sheep s*^t :piggy: :lol:

Thanks once again to Herdwick for the invite out to play :cheers:

Here's the pics, hope you like them :thumbs:

http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/blackstaff2/Ratting%20March%202/?albumview=slideshow

Really nice write up mate, i have to say i was expecting a soundtrack of blackstaff's ratting song to go with the pictures but maybe we'll save that for next time! Could be a no 1 hit if marketed right! Could use the smilie rats as the album cover!

On a more serious note, your pup did grand for her first time out and im pleased you enjoyed it.

Good write up L and A.

Next time we'll try to go to a field with no sheep shit type distractions. Pup did really well for her 1st time out. Has she smashed her way thro' the plastic yet :whistling:

Blackstaff, was that the whole 517 pics you took? :blink:

Bloody good pics mind. Can you email me the hare ones please?

Lizzie has quite recovered from the full body charge by Dolly. Payback for Midge flattening Pearl I suppose :angel:

Enjoyable morning all round I thought. The keeper wants us back next week if you can make it :thumbs:

Good write up, keep at it. Ratting is great sport and can be very addictive :thumbs:

Thanks, it's definitely addictive and I can't wait till the next time.

a good trip out for you and your pup!!! keep us posted!

atb

Yes my pup loved it and crashed out on the car seat on the way home.

Really nice write up mate, i have to say i was expecting a soundtrack of blackstaff's ratting song to go with the pictures but maybe we'll save that for next time! Could be a no 1 hit if marketed right! Could use the smilie rats as the album cover!

On a more serious note, your pup did grand for her first time out and im pleased you enjoyed it.

Thanks mate, it took me long enough :icon_redface: . Totally agree about the song, it did make me laugh.

I was well chuffed with Mags and didn't stop going on about it when I got home.

Good write up L and A.

Next time we'll try to go to a field with no sheep shit type distractions. Pup did really well for her 1st time out. Has she smashed her way thro' the plastic yet :whistling:

Blackstaff, was that the whole 517 pics you took? :blink:

Bloody good pics mind. Can you email me the hare ones please?

Lizzie has quite recovered from the full body charge by Dolly. Payback for Midge flattening Pearl I suppose :angel:

Enjoyable morning all round I thought. The keeper wants us back next week if you can make it :thumbs:

A field without sheep shit would be great, she was driving me mad keep sneaking off to eat it :wallbash: . I'm glad you thought that she done well, when she caught that rat it was like Christmas had come. Seeing all the experienced dogs work was trully awesome, thanks again for letting me tag along.