Is there a reason why

Considering how many dogs have been stolen or lost and so few have been found i was wondering why so many of these dogs are not micro-chipped. (not having a go at anyone who has had a dog nicked :icon_redface: )

Chipping gives a far greater chance of getting your dog back if lost and also proves ownership if they were stolen. From experience a few years ago, the Police will not even be interested if the dog hasn't got permanent identification to prove ownership even if you tell them where it is, possesion is 9/10ths of the law :thumbdown:

I am qualified to micro-chip and do a lot of dogs but i've never been asked to do any lurchers except my own.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a line of thought that by not having ya dogs chipped stops trouble being brought to your door if a heavily marked dog does a runner. Some people arnt willing to take that risk. Personally I dont go along with it, I would sooner get my dogs back.

Have been lucky and never had a dog stolen (they'd soon bring them back anyway! :laugh:)

But, microchipping isn't foolproof or permanent, I couldn't believe how easily they are removed.

I'll be looking for someone to tattoo my latest dog in a few months, he is chipped too, I think a tattoo would be more difficult to remove.

Had dogs tattoo'd in the past for security work as identification had to be visible for the licence but even these can be altered and they are often hard to read (especially on long or rough-coated doogs or those with small ears) :(

Saying that, if you have them chipped & tattoo'd then someone would have to really want your dog to alter/remove two things linking the dog to you :thumbs:

my dogs microchip cost me £22 or somthing and for the sake of just over 20 quid it will make it more likley that if the worst ever happened i could get not only my dog but my best friend back

How do people get the dogs to stay still while being tattooed?

Think of a hand held vice, they insert the letters & numbers into the little vice, each digit is made up a dozen or more needles. They then crimp the whole thing through the dogs ear (needles dont go all the way through) the antiseptic dye is then sponged over the inside of the dogs ear and must be kept dry for 48 hours so the dye gets into all the pin holes and when wiped off the tattoo'd details are visible.

Have seen 8 dogs tattoo'd and they all screamed like f**k (1 adult, rest puppies) they soon forgot about it but it was worse imo than micro-chipping.

As said above if someone wants your dog enough they will remove a chip. I think tattoo is harder to remove but ive heard of it done.

At the end of the day the chip will only really help out if you have located your dog after theft. And if you have done that then why involve police?

I guess its different if your dog gets lost and authorities scan it. But talking about theft, I think chipping is pointless.

Gaz

Have been lucky and never had a dog stolen (they'd soon bring them back anyway! :laugh:)

But, microchipping isn't foolproof or permanent, I couldn't believe how easily they are removed.

I'll be looking for someone to tattoo my latest dog in a few months, he is chipped too, I think a tattoo would be more difficult to remove.

Ears are a lot easier to remove than microchips. Happens in the greyhound world a fair bit, poor beggars... :censored: