Range Finders?

Bit of advice needed!

Iv just started deer stalking although im still awaiting my firearms variation for a big rifle and have struggled judging yardage over 200 yards. I know the idea with stalking is to get close to deer as possible but whilst sitting in a high seat i want confidence knowing yardage before taking a long shot at something like a fox etc!

Im looking for a Leica Range finder CRF 1200 or something similar, does anyone know of one for sale or which rangefinders are best?

Many thanks

you named the best there, they are excellent, until you build your skills if your new to stalking, and larger calibres i'd suggest sitcking to under 200 yards,

And concentrate on the shot placement, then when you get the range finder hone your skills by guessing ranges and then checking with the range finder,

yo'd be surprised how close you can get once you get good at it..

good luck with things..

Snap.

As Snap says - also seeing you use a high seat, Google Earth is your friend in calculating a distance from your high seat to a given landmark on the map - piece of paper whilst sat in high seat with the info written down helps.

On quiet/out of season days, stick a target up at differing ranges to the high seat, this will give you experience/confidence on the real thing. But always remember there is a world of difference between a stationery paper target and something with a leg in each corner.

i agree with lads above. but a range finder is a must imo there very handy. and once you take one on your shoot you get a good idea of ranges to tree,fenceline, etc etc

you can get a 900 scan or 1200 scan for around £200 to £250

Thanks for the advice lads,

Where would i find a 1200 for £250? everywhere iv looked they cost the earth. Like i said iv shot a lot of foxes with .22 250 and a dozen fallow with 6.5 55,but shooting a fox in a lamp at 300 is a lot more different to shooting a deer at the same distance! I usualy pace out as i walk upto the seat but im never in the same seat to get use to certain tree's etc.

Anyone who knows of a rangefinder going at a respectable price please post

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of advice needed!

Iv just started deer stalking although im still awaiting my firearms variation for a big rifle and have struggled judging yardage over 200 yards. I know the idea with stalking is to get close to deer as possible but whilst sitting in a high seat i want confidence knowing yardage before taking a long shot at something like a fox etc!

Im looking for a Leica Range finder CRF 1200 or something similar, does anyone know of one for sale or which rangefinders are best?

Many thanks

I have a Leupold rangefinder, VERY good!! I use it 'all over the place' when I pitch up in a high seat I range all of the local features, Trees, Stones or What have You, Then when I'm

decoying I set the decoys at 30 yards for the best shotgun pattern, no question a very valuable piece of kit! Andy F

Bit of advice needed!

Many thanks

200 Yards, you must be having a laugh, please don't shoot anything with a BIG rifle (or anything else) until you have the skill, it's not the make of rangefinder you need to decide on!

It's the basics of deer stalking.

STOP RIGHT NOW and get some help!!