pictures of my deerhound/greyhound

First cross Deer/Greys are often smooth until they are a year old, then their coats come. I was once told that it is possible to get a smooth first cross, but only very rarely, one pup in sixteen litters, for example. There is a dog called Gos in Frank Sheardown's book Lurchers and Longdogs which was supposed to be a first cross, and that was smooth: a rarity.

Never seen a smooth first cross deerhound x greyhound yet..but anythings possible I suppose

Mrs Rileys Gos was a powerhouse of a dog, but not a first cross..that breeding tree in the book is made up mainly of deerhound crosses, Basil Smalleys Jake and Flame I coursed with many years ago near Seahouses in Northumberland close to where Basil lived at Kyloe, and coused pups from that mating of Jake and Flame, siblings to Mrs Rileys Saker..excellent dogs..Perry Fairfax Ive also coursed with, but later than when he had Flax and fluke..these were supposidly great hare courses, and Ive seen some excellent photographs he still has of these dogs..Ive also coursed and co-judged with the author of the book, which is Ted Walsh not Frank Sheardown..Ted was a fantastic gentlemen, an excellent dogman..and I always feel privilaged to have known and hunted with Fairfax, Walsh and Smalley

• Like 1

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright lads   here are the latest photos of my Deerhound Greyhound that i kept from the last litter. As you can see she is coming on great even though she was the smallest and weakest in the litte

Never seen a smooth first cross deerhound x greyhound yet..but anythings possible I suppose Mrs Rileys Gos was a powerhouse of a dog, but not a first cross..that breeding tree in the book is made up

Posted Images

good to see corect information supplied ,seen a few first cross first gen deer hound greys always carried rough or broken coat .seen a pals litter of 7 all black stayed black , ashame really he had his heart set on a brindle bitch .atb bunnys.