Ferret Health

Managed to get a hob around a fortnight ago, have handled and used ferrets previous but this is the first one ive personally owned. Noticed a small amount of black wax in its ears although not much was wondering if this is a sign of infection or mites as im sure i read something like this a while ago.

Also if it is just normal id appreciate any tips on how to clean it as each time i attempt it the bug*** nips and squirms. :signthankspin:

If it's only a very small amount I wouldn't worry to much about cleaning it, if it is mites cleaning the wax won't get rid of them. I'd watch it for increasing and for his ear getting red-ish. If this starts to happen then he's probably got mites in which case you could get some drops from the vet or maybe from a good pet store. Ear drops for cats or dogs would do the job, just don't use the same amount.

Does the ear look swollen?

Is there red pin pricks on the base of the outside of the ear?

If so get it sorted straight away.

If its left to long you will have a dead ferret. :thumbs:

what a load of sh1te.. so what disease / diagnoses is that then.. :laugh: there's a veterinary abooot :o

Edited by ferrety f

You expect them to have dirty ears when you keep putting them to ground but if its no bothering the ferret and its no ear mites leave well the f*ck alone you can do more damage pocking about with a cotton bud ,but if your no sure its only a vet that can advise you

Does the ear look swollen?

Is there red pin pricks on the base of the outside of the ear?

If so get it sorted straight away.

If its left to long you will have a dead ferret. :thumbs:

what a load of sh1te.. so what disease / diagnoses is that then.. :laugh: there's a veterinary abooot :o

I think you have misunderstood .

The ear swells inside due to the irritation that the mites cause.

The mites also congregate on the outside of the ear.

When i brushed the fur back around the base of the ear there was little red pin pricks.I presumed these to be bites.Although after some researching i couldnt find any evidence that they actually bite.Possibly down to scratching.

Infection is the what you can end up with

I have experienced this problem with a ferret first hand.

No disease.

Edited by Mick C.