AULD FIRM PREDICTIONS

Just thought id delve a little further :D

This is the AVERAGE attendances for domestic games of European clubs....season 08/09

Celtic 9th....Rangers 15th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average_attendances_of_European_football_clubs

Only 2 english teams beat us in that table. With the way serrogate away fans, we are probably at our max. That ain't bad considering the opposition quality of the teams who are above us compared to ours. I'll bet they wouldn't have that amount playing Partick Thistle and the like..... :thumbs:

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ha tae fecking ha,i see all the whinging has started about how pish the selic were today...cant help but laugh yer ass off at great unwashed thinking they had the treble all but sown up...not so fecki

i hear hes commin back........on the crest of a wave, boom boom, ill get me coat.

i dont like this topic anymore im starting to agree with celtic fans lol

Posted Images

Only 2 english teams beat us in that table. With the way serrogate away fans, we are probably at our max. That ain't bad considering the opposition quality of the teams who are above us compared to ours. I'll bet they wouldn't have that amount playing Partick Thistle and the like..... :thumbs:

Personally i think thats part of the problem with the game as a whole up there.....your top 2 teams get 40/50,000 consistently......but you have other teams in the TOP HALF of your premier league getting 3 and 4000 !!.....what does a side like Kilmarnock average 5,000 ?....Hamilton Ac,s probably what 2000 ?

Blue Square non league teams down here are getting that sort of turn out.....ok we know the difference in population etc etc.....but the fact is beyond Celtic/Rangers theres really not much of a football existence at all in Scotland is there,hence its not exactly competetive and its only a matter of time before that shows where it counts,on the field....

If Scottish football only consisted of say 10 football clubs nationwide every club would become a bigger football club over night,bigger in every way to the point where it showed where it counts again,on the pitch.....thats my view anyway.

gnasher ur right scottish fitba is shite plain and simple - i agree.

but it wasnt so long ago that celtic and rangers were doing well in either european competition,notice i said well and not great.

i can destinctly remember celtic beating liverpool/blackburn and doing very well against manchester united 2 yrs on the trot,also doing well against juve/barcelona etc etc.....and thats with playing in a pish league

so although we play in a pish rotten league when we had a better quality player and wage structure,we done well in europe against teams who were expected to roll us over,think how hard it must be for someone playing against motherwell then juve then st mirren then juve again!!it must be very hard to adapt to those situations playing in the scottish league winning all the time then playing against quality opposition in europe.if we played quality week in week out we would adapt and overcome.

it wont be the english premier league who dictates whether celtic and ranger enter english football mate it will be sky sports.

i dont expect it to happen next year but it will happen soon if a euro league isnt setup first.

say for instance-

top 2 from scotland/holland/belgium/sweden/denmark etc etc. i think there is more chance this will happen sooner than celtic/rangers entering england.

that would be more appealing for me,would rather that than england but england would do,and celtic and rangers could leave there reserve squads to play and still win the spl.

what does a side like Kilmarnock average 5,000 ?.

did you know that kilmarnock has a population less than 45,000 ?

and did you know the population of hamilton is also less than 50,000?

not a lot to choose from especially when you mentioned before that london has more of a population than scotland.

glasgow has a population of 600,000 which teams should have the bigger support ?

you do the maths.......

james

Edited by j4mesmac

This is the AVERAGE attendances for domestic games of European clubs....season 08/09

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average_attendances_of_European_football_clubs

got to agree there 9th and 15th playing against motherwell/st mirren/hamilton/ etc etc wonder how many west ham fans would turn up each week to watch them play against these teams.then you have to ask how many celtic/rangers fans would turn out to watch their team play man u/chelsea/arsenal/liverpool every week - oh i bet your bottom doller we could build 100,000+ stadiums and fill em each and every week.

yes i do believe we both are best supported teams in britain and poss the world.

james

http://en.wikipedia...._football_clubs

got to agree there 9th and 15th playing against motherwell/st mirren/hamilton/ etc etc wonder how many west ham fans would turn up each week to watch them play against these teams.then you have to ask how many celtic/rangers fans would turn out to watch their team play man u/chelsea/arsenal/liverpool every week - oh i bet your bottom doller we could build 100,000+ stadiums and fill em each and every week.

yes i do believe we both are best supported teams in britain and poss the world.

james

true james how many would turn up for them

not a lot to choose from especially when you mentioned before that london has more of a population than scotland.

glasgow has a population of 600,000 which teams should have the bigger support ?

you do the maths.......

james

anyone ?

you do the maths.......

james

anyone ?

So what was the question again?

IT'S official. Celtic fans have been declared the best in the world by football's governing body. Fifa yesterday announced that 80,000 Celtic supporters who travelled to Seville for last season's Uefa Cup final had been awarded world football's Fair Play award for their ''exemplary, fair, and cordial conduct''. The award follows the equivalent accolade given last August by Uefa for the part the fans played in the team's run to the final, where they were defeated by Porto. The latest award will come as some consolation to fans of the Glasgow club, who were still licking their wounds yesterday after narrowly missing qualification to the last 16 of the Champions League on Wednesday. Peter Lawwell, Celtic chief executive, and Eddie Toner, general secretary of the club's supporters' association, will collect the latest award at the Fifa World Player Gala in Switzerland on Monday. Mr Lawwell said the award was a ''superb and fitting tribute to the army of Celtic supporters'' who followed their heroes to Spain last summer. He said the 80,000 Celtic fans lucky enough to be in Seville created ''one of the world's greatest sporting spectacles'' and added: ''Personally speaking, it's one which will live in the memory for a lifetime.'' Mr Lawwell added: ''Together with the outstanding efforts of the team, this massive, passionate, and universally friendly support helped put Celtic on the global footballing map to a degree not seen since the European Cup win in Lisbon. ''Thanks to their exploits across Europe in recent years, Celtic's travelling supporters have now become a byword for good-natured sporting friendship and unswerving devotion to their team.'' Mr Toner also welcomed the accolade, saying: ''Celtic's supporters have a reputation in football which is unrivalled and this award, added to the Uefa Fair Play award presented earlier in the year, simply reaffirms the standing of Celtic supporters across the world.'' He added: ''I am sure all supporters will be delighted with this tremendous honour. Last season was a great adventure for Celtic supporters, culminating in a wonderful experience in Seville. ''The supporters were a credit to Celtic Football Club.'' Martin O'Neill, the Celtic manager, who yesterday welcomed his side's draw against FK Teplice, from the Czech Republic, in the third round of the Uefa Cup, also took time out to praise the fans following the Fifa award. He said: ''The Uefa Cup final last season was a fantastic occasion and the atmosphere was made all the more special by the thousands of Celtic supporters who travelled to Seville. They all richly deserve this recognition from Fifa.'' John McMillan, general secretary of Rangers Supporters' Association, was also ungrudging in recognising the honour to fans of his team's oldest rivals. He said: ''Fifa do not hand out accolades like this lightly. The Celtic fans' conduct in Seville was a great credit to themselves, to the club, and to Scotland. No-one can deny that, regardless of their allegiance.''

................................................................................................

February 19, 2008

Celtic's travelling fans are the best in world, says Barcelona presidentPhil Gordon

Joan Laporta, the Barcelona president, used his diplomatic skills yesterday to dampen fears in the Catalan city about the visit from 15,000 Celtic fans for the Champions League first knockout round, second leg encounter on March 4, by describing them as the “the best travelling supporters in the worldâ€.

The high-profile businessman defended the reputation of the Celtic supporters in response to reports that the Barcelona police force are promising a zero tolerance approach to Scottish fans because of the alleged misbehaviour by Rangers supporters when they visited the city in November.

Celtic have twice been to the Nou Camp in the past four years without any public order problems, a point underlined by Laporta yesterday. The Barcelona president will arrive in Glasgow today, along with Frank Rijkaard, the coach, and his players, for tomorrow’s first leg meeting at Celtic Park in the last 16 tie.

“We are also looking forward very much to welcoming Celtic supporters to Barcelona in early March,†Laporta said. “The Celtic supporters are fantastic, in fact the best travelling supporters in the world as we have seen many times. We can assure Celtic supporters that they will receive a very warm welcome when they visit the city.

“I know that Celtic supporters are extremely passionate about their club, a club which I believe, like FC Barcelona, is different. We know that supporters will travel in huge numbers to follow their team, but we also know the great reputation of good behaviour which Celtic fans enjoy and clearly we are looking forward to hosting the Celtic fans in the city once again.

“I know that the city council, the police, Celtic FC and FC Barcelona have been working very closely over a number of weeks to ensure that Celtic’s visit will again be a great success. There will be special arrangements made in the city to ensure that we do all we can to ensure this is the case. We hope all Celtic supporters enjoy their visit to Barcelona.â€

Reports last weekend claimed that police were ready to take a tough line with the Celtic fans because of incidents involving their Old Firm rivals. “We had a terrible experience with Rangers — fans were drinking, urinating in public and causing noise,†Paz Molinas, the police commissioner, was quoted as saying.

“It was the worst experience we’ve had in recent years for a game of football. The mayor doesn’t want a repeat. The images in the media didn’t look good and opposition politicians blamed him at the time for being too lenient. We’ve never had to put such measures in place for a match before — but the Rangers experience forced us to. It was a breaking point.â€

Celtic have been working closely with Barcelona club officials as well as the city council to ensure that the second leg goes smoothly off the pitch. The major problem will be how to accommodate the thousands of ticketless Celtic fans who will still come to the city.

“In recent years, our fans have travelled to the city and enjoyed tremendous hospitality and a very warm welcome from the Barcelona residents,†Peter Lawwell, the Celtic chief executive, said. “Our fans will be looking to support their team in a positive manner, to respect the city and at the same time make more friends as they always do when they travel.

“We are pleased that our supporters have developed a reputation for excellent behaviour when they travel to matches throughout Europe. In 2003, our fans were awarded the official Fair Play Awards from both Fifa and Uefa in recognition of their excellent conduct at the Uefa Cup final, when 80,000 fans travelled to Seville.â€

Laporta is equally enthusiastic about his trip to Celtic Park. The Barcelona president praised the Celtic supporters in March 2004 for honouring the victims of the Madrid bombing when a Uefa Cup tie was played between just 24 hours after the tragedy.

“It will be a real pleasure to visit Celtic Park and feel the atmosphere of a great Champions League night at such a great venue,†Laporta said. “We have very much enjoyed our previous visits to Celtic and I am sure we will do so again. In recent years we have developed an excellent relationship with Celtic, something which we hope to continue.â€

you do the maths.......

james

anyone ?

So what was the question again?

bold writing

couple of serious questions here lads :thumbs: ive done a bit of research on the two teams and from what ive seen the rivalry is more about religion than football is it like that in reality??? could/would a catholic man be a true rangers fan and vicea versa???? or is it just the press/internet making it out to be worse than it really is??? if its a touchy subject sorry to ask and lets not ruin a good thread :victory: