Reloading for a .223

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has a favourite recipe that they like to use in reloading for their .223. The rifle is a Ruger M77 Mk2 .223. The rifle is used purely as a hunting rifle for foxes, muntjac and CWD so the bullet must be 50grains.

What bullet, primers and powder do you use and how good is the grouping at 200yds?

Thank you,

Lee

you wont go wrong with vit 133 powder,rem primer, and a 55 or 60 grain softpoint

Hi Mate,

sorry to jump on this thread,but my local supplier has just got some vit 133 powder in and i was thinking of trying some,just wondered how it performs in .223 cal? whats it like to reload with ( i have a lee powder measure ) does it metre ok ? I usually use Sierra 55gn game king heads, what load would you recommend ? I thimk it comes in a Kilo tub @ about £74 is that about the money..

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

LD

you wont go wrong with vit 133 powder,rem primer, and a 55 or 60 grain softpoint

I would echo Jamie's choice of powder. Recently reloaded for a 223 user and this is what it could do at about 100 yds

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq101/wyndog/RWS223.jpg

My data for his .223 RWS

50 GR Nosler

Ogive = 1.912" (COL = 2.324)

New Case Datum 1.460"

Fed Gold Primers

Starting case Trim 1.751"

N133 @ 25.3gr

10 thou back @ 1.902" (col 2.314)

Keep shoulder Datum around 1.463"

Edited to say that at 200 yds I would expect it to be no larger than a .75" group which for what you require it for would be good enough.

Edited by dicehorn

hi guys i haven't used it in my rifles as I don't have a 223 but a friend of mine does. he asked if I would help him out reloading so he come round to mine with some bits and bobs he had got off the net. we loaded up some rounds together for him.

he tried them out the other day in his rifle. he rang me to say he had very good groups with them and the vit 133 gave very good fps over the chrono.

i will look back at my reloading book later to see what loads we used. off the top of my head it was around the same amount of powder as dicehorn used

as he will tell you each rifle is different though so work up the load.

h335 is also very good for 50 grain bullets

Edited by jamie g
  • 3 months later...

hi Lee what is the rate of twist in your Ruger as it may prefer a lighter round or heavier rate of twist does make a huge difference in accuracy with head weight.

paul

Thanks chaps for the replies. The rifle is a 1:9 twist.

hi [bANNED TEXT] i have a tikka t3 1-8 twist i use hodgins varget powder

60 grain v-max

25 grain powdwe

cci benchrest primer

200 yards 1 inch and i am a novice to shooting

but after trying many loads i can hit out to 500 yards all day long