Land Rover Discovery

:blink:

Don't know where to start!

Am thinking of buying a Discovery, up to around £3000 ish, maybe a little more.

Now, I think I know I want a Diesel :yes:

But I've seen there is a 200Tdi and a 300Tdi, am guessing that's NOT horsepower!!! :no:

Have been to see this one here today:

http://www.prentonmotorcompany.co.uk

Scroll down, it's a dark blue one.

Couple of things put me off it, bit of rust around the back light and hinges on the back door, and a bit of oily diesel on the top of the engine, seemed to drive ok, but what do I know?!

Can anyone give me a crash course of things to look for when I go back (maybe) tomorrow.

Car will be a trade sale as it has 120K miles up it, so no warranty, although am sure he'd soon see it my way of it went wrong :laugh: Lot of cars on that forecourt to risk an unhappy customer! :aggressive:

As always, any help is greatly appreciated!! :victory:

hi mate check the floor in the back ,they rot out there abit,check diff lock etc.check hi and low box,listen for a clonk on take up ,eg play in transmission,ujs .diffs etc .find out if timining belt has been done if not budget for it,espesially if you cant do it yourself .

hello mate just made the purchase me self sold the series 3 i had and bought a 3 door disco 200tdi i do like it but the series would probably go off road better ,i looked the tinterweb try HERE

AND HERE

LIL BIT MORE

al ot to look thru but just keep your money in your pocket if your not sure dont rush in thinking its the only one out there try egay have a look at some local ones go have a proper look ,

heres mine :)

Thank you! For the replies so far, it's only when you ask that you realise how much you don't know.............

So, am still thinking, but have almost 100% decided to leave that first one alone and at least find a decent local Land Rover garage to buy one from, and to take a bit more time to do it, I'm a bit impatient at times :laugh:

Thanks again!

Guest peakhound

Stick with Landrovers! I had a 200 tdi for years, was great vehicle, especially for plugging around the fields, towing diggers about, and chucking things in the back of... Useful, but with more comfort than a "proper" landy for long runs (still miss my series though!!). gearbox tends to be good for 60k miles (so i'm told, and mine went at that mileage too!). I agree with the other chaps that you're better going for a late 300 than an early td5, though, too many teething problems

:D

dont bothermate drive a 2.8 td shogun not the 2.5 pajero and you will forget the discovery :D:D

wouldnt have enother shogun gid mate ,really bad on diesel ,had to keep getting discoverys to pull me out when stuck,both motors with same tyres on i was left spinning my sack of ,and discovery was going through the mud no bother ,best thing about shoguns is comfort and thats about it?and it would cost you alot more to do this to a shogun than it would my discovery :D:D

JESUS SALTER12 WHAT BEAST TOP MOTOR.
:D

dont bothermate drive a 2.8 td shogun not the 2.5 pajero and you will forget the discovery :D:D

wouldnt have enother shogun gid mate ,really bad on diesel ,had to keep getting discoverys to pull me out when stuck,both motors with same tyres on i was left spinning my sack of ,and discovery was going through the mud no bother ,best thing about shoguns is comfort and thats about it?and it would cost you alot more to do this to a shogun than it would my discovery :D:D

Thank you! For the replies so far, it's only when you ask that you realise how much you don't know.............

So, am still thinking, but have almost 100% decided to leave that first one alone and at least find a decent local Land Rover garage to buy one from, and to take a bit more time to do it, I'm a bit impatient at times :laugh:

Thanks again!

take alook round mate ,the 200 is more reliable, than 300 has there prone to head gasket problems?the best thing about discoverys is there easy to get parts for

:D one live live it !!

Uh Oh ........... :blink:

As always happens when you're looking at cars, have started looking at Range Rovers now :icon_eek:

Can see this ending up me selling my arse on Lime Street to pay for a shiny new Range Rover, might take me a while to save up!

Thanks for the replies so far, appreciate the help. ;)

Range rovers are VERY heavy mate!!

So best not to get a 4.6 Petrol then!? :hmm:

To be dead honest, as I've said to someone else here today, it's very unlikely to go off road in my hands, more like it'll be kept very clean and shiny and driven about 200 miles maximum a week, I don't use a car much, and my good lady and I have got a Golf Tdi too, so not to bothered about bad economy, am liking the Range Rover now I've seen a few up close :blink:

Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated.