Staffys Mooching/Bushing alongside lurchers

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seen my mates staff catch rabbits for fun day and night occasially took the things that bite backaswell,i think they make good moochers if bought from a pup

Was'nt talking about yours SANSTORM was talking about these big over grown things you see been paraded at shows and around the towns and if shown some real work would shit themselves if they were able

Posted Images

Thanks for replys.

TB25 - I have had a JRT bitch, 3 years old. She was farm bred for ratting but then got given to the blokes sister as a pet where she was being deprived of what she wants to do.

She is a mental busher and will go through anything to flush anything. She is settling in well.

Blan89 - I appreciate they aren't hunting dogs, i have got a saluki/whippet/grey for edible quarry mate.

My missus wants one as a pet, I've always had a soft spot for them so just wondering if they have a place mooching? If nothing else he will have a good active life.

You lads who have posted pics and work staffys - is it in there instinct to chase? Do they pick it up off other dogs? Or do they just mooch about not really doing anything?

If PMs preferred then not a problem.

Gaz.

mate of mine fetches his staff a walk with us sometimes and all he wants to do is destroy trees and carry them round with him . useless dog tbh but he looks hard as feck ha ha they do make good house dogs but i dont think they have the instinct for bushing rabbits im sure there is a few out their that would disagree but not the staffs i have seen atb

its just like any dog mate some are good some are complete wankers :thumbs:

Have a look in the terrier section, theres some pics of Blackstaffs bitch ratting on sunday on a post herdwick put up. She's a good bitch, hunts up, rats, ferrets and lamps. She'll never be as fast as a lurcher or work as tight cover as a terrier but she puts her heart into everything she does and gets results. Blackstaff has put the work into her and the results speak for themselves!

I take mine with me. And if youre not a diggin man then a staff can be usefull as they cant get to ground (try as they may) brought on right they cann be a usefull tool in bushing. Your mothers brothers daughters fat house pet wont do the job. But like I said brought on there a good tool imo.

you get one bred from a working line they are excellent dogs a pal of mine had one that used to bush fox up and chce them cover to cover til especialy in the bramble patches nail them before they hit the next piece of cover :thumbs:

Thanks for replys.

We will probably have one in 12-14 months when my pup has had his first season.

Like I said. He is mainly gonna be a pet and we just like staffords. But he will be out mooching with the other dogs and my mates dogs 2/3/4 times a week as soon as he is jabbed so with some luck he might make a decent mooching dog.

My next question was gonna be about working lines. Are there many about?

Obviously it would have a better chance of making a worker if from workers as opposed to just show/pet fatties.

Gaz

Also who moved this?

I specifically wanted this in the lurcher section. It wasn't accidentally ot carelessly placed in the wrong section like most which don't get moved. My topic is about SBT working alongside lurchers, rabbiting, marking, bushing etc with and for lurchers. Surely something better suited to lurcher section than earthdogs and working terriers?

Thanks

Gaz

Samstorm we have a staff bitch that will get to ground quite easaly.We have had to dig to her up with her quarry a few times and have also used her when short in diging dogs.Not all sbt are big show monsters some still keep proper working staff's,and i dont mean any offence by that.

Hi mate,my bitch works well on her own or in a pack. She normally comes everywhere with me so i have a great bond with her ( which imo is priceless when you want something from them ) and will quite happily sit in the car all day, ferret or go mooching all day. She'll lamp all night, she won't catch every run but will give it 110% every time and retrieve to hand. She marks well enough too, not brilliant but if she marks you know there' something home. Like its been said earlier they are not for filling the pot as too hard mouthed If you look into it there are still some very good SBT's about :thumbs: My bitch is first and foremost a family pet with a great temprament, which is what i value above pretty much everything else. She is very driven but with good training from a young age all controlable. As i write this she is curled up on the sofa with my son, and cat :thumbs:

Dolly198.jpg

Dolly202.jpg

Edited to add, i bred her last year to a 3/4 whip 1/4 grey and got 2 of the litter here so she does work as part of a pack :thumbs:

Edited by blackstaff

Samstorm we have a staff bitch that will get to ground quite easaly.We have had to dig to her up with her quarry a few times and have also used her when short in diging dogs.Not all sbt are big show monsters some still keep proper working staff's,and i dont mean any offence by that.

Mine isnt a big show monster mate and can fit to ground but not in fox earths wich is why when walkin certqain places I have to keep he on a lead. Round me there are a few places she could *drop in* so when I am around them places she stays by me. As I wouldnt want to lose her to ground and end up locked up. She stands somewhere aroun 16 inch and is a good build. Thats her in my profile pic un-fit. You maybe didnt meen to cause offence bud but calling another mans dog isnt nice and defo aint my thing. Fair enough winding someone up lol. But to say my dog is an over sized show monster in very wrong. But its okay.

Was'nt talking about yours SANSTORM was talking about these big over grown things you see been paraded at shows and around the towns and if shown some real work would shit themselves if they were able to get to ground.

• Like 1