best lurcher cross

what lurcher cross do you prefer, what cross do you think gets the job done the best on all quarry

av only had the one lurcher whih is currently 16 month, collie x whippet x greyhound, stands at 23and a bit, so far she works well under the lamp not the best at picking the bunnys up however this last week or so she seems to bee a lot keener and is picking up well seen a diffrent dog comeing out of her now.

also do you think this is a good cross to work

Husky x greyhound ,lurcher ect.. is sometime ive thought about doing for years and recently read an article on

Superior Siberian Lurcher cross.

Dear Editor, I have bred Siberian Huskies as a lurcher cross and found that it produces superior lurchers for lamping rabbits. Through lamping rabbits for over 30 years I found lurchers would not take rabbits consistently in good numbers night after night. This was due to their lack of tenacity, stamina, physical abilities and good mouths. Looking around for a suitable out cross I decided on a Siberian husky. Any dog that can survive in temperatures of below minus 40 degrees with no shelter, pull a sled for over 25 miles per day over hard ice and snow and at the end of the day be fed on a frozen lump of seal or fish, should surely be worth considering as a cross into the lurcher strain.

These dogs must have a remarkable constitution, a very good foot structure and be very tenacious, to survive in these conditions and that is why I decided to use them. I first put a Siberian Husky dog over a Tumbler lurcher bitch, owned by Denny Mathews and bred by Jeff, which produced six bitches. I kept three and Denny kept three. All these bitches, except one, produced excellent lurchers for lamping rabbits.

They had all the qualities I wished for, plus they do not waste energy constantly striking at their quarry as the first strike secures it. The only fault was that they lacked overall speed.

One of these bitches was mated to a Whippet-Greyhound, producing two dogs making 24-inches to the shoulder and weighing approximately 43 pounds when fit. They made supreme rabbit lamping dogs that also took hares and foxes. And they are very obedient, faithful and affectionate dogs.

I've taken 110 rabbits in the lamp on two consecutive nights single handedly with these dogs. Hey ho! The proof of the pudding is in the eating!