mad scientist number three moment

Ive been working on making my shell decoys move, in a pecking motion in the hope that it brings the pigeons down, as the magnet/bouncers don't seem to be having much luck in these parts at the moment, maybe too many of us shooters :laugh:

the full write up is over on pigeon watch, but heres my final production proto-type, 2 are connected via a 6v battery, and one running on a 3v battery pack, I took my ideas after looking on flea bay, they have the same idea on there, both units look very proffessionally made (in china probably) where as mine's made out of bits in the garden shed, but of course, theres a big price difference, and although mine dont move in the same fashion, Im hoping it'll fool the pigeons, will take them out on the fields next week for the final test run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdN5eCzIFSo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLTRwhnInM8

so what do you reckon,

:notworthy::notworthy: bloomin good they look :thumbs:

can you show whats underneath the decoy please :thumbs:

I could, but thats top secret, so Id have to kill you :laugh::laugh:

sure, its not copywrighted, if you can get the bits or simular together, then go for it, I had to do quite a few searches to find the right motor/gearbox supplier, and buy in quantity to get the price down, but if you fancy having a tinker in ya shed, then go for it, for anyone not having a shed, or being into making their own, I could probably make a few extras up, and probably charge around £8 each, thats just for the gubbins mind, not including a plastic decoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_VAn-LHMDA

Ive made 2 types, 3volt and 6volt running, the 3 volt battery pack one, as shown above, did carry on for over 8hrs on the panasonic batteries, so you'd get a full day out of them, although re-charable ones would probably save money in the long run

although the 6volt "peck" more, roughly 1 peck per second, the 3volt type saves you carrying a battery and wiring loom around, I reckon 3 or 4 of these, your net and poles,gun and carts is all you'd need for a day on the pigeons, which is what I set out to achive, as Im normally loaded up with so much gear, your knackered by the time you get to your chosen spot

the closest electronic decoys I could find on evil bay, retail at around £54 for 4 units, although they look very proffessionally made (china maybe?)so mine would work out around £22 cheaper :thumbs:

They sound quite noisy to me, is there anything you can do to cut the noise down a bit? Is it basically a pinned disc on the motor spindle, that strikes on the decoy and causes it to move? You could put pins at random distances around the disc, so that it's not just a regular motion, more of an irregular "pecking" movement, might look a bit more realistic?

They sound quite noisy to me, is there anything you can do to cut the noise down a bit? Is it basically a pinned disc on the motor spindle, that strikes on the decoy and causes it to move? You could put pins at random distances around the disc, so that it's not just a regular motion, more of an irregular "pecking" movement, might look a bit more realistic?

Ive had a few comments on noise reduction,probably because Im filming so close to them, trust me, a rotary is making more noise than these units, and as Ive stated in the video, if a birds that close to hear it, you should have shot it :laugh: its not a pinned disc, just an egg shaped cog, pins would catch inside the decoy, and would tend to involve more work, therefore costing more to produce, I wanted to make something small, cheap and easy to fit to a cheap plastic shell, which Ive done, the real test will be over the field

right, after a few enquiries from here and PW, Ive improved the design a little, Im now adding 2 extra wires with bullet connectors, all units will then come with the 3 volt battery holder, but you'll also have the option of connecting to an external 6 volt battery, via the bullet connectors, so you could run 2 or 3 from one battery,

the 3volt are turning a roughly 50rpm (50 pecks per minute)

field test video to follow soon :thumbs:

Well done mate .that looks to working fine.Been messing about with this kind of things for years.The one that get me frustrated is the wire.Do you think you could get this working on a remote unit.I have found that if you leave the motor running to long.They tent to burn out.atb. Catcher. :thumbs::thumbs::notworthy:

Well done mate .that looks to working fine.Been messing about with this kind of things for years.The one that get me frustrated is the wire.Do you think you could get this working on a remote unit.I have found that if you leave the motor running to long.They tent to burn out.atb. Catcher. :thumbs::thumbs::notworthy:

have you been using a motor with a gearbox?

as have tested mine for 8hrs each day and all ok so far

although I doubt anyone would be in the field for a continuous 8hrs

Im sure a remote would work, if using a external 6 volt supply, Im not electronic minded enough to know how it would be wired up though

have you been using a motor with a gearbox?

as have tested mine for 8hrs each day and all ok so far

although I doubt anyone would be in the field for a continuous 8hrs

Im sure a remote would work, if using a external 6 volt supply, Im not electronic minded enough to know how it would be wired up though

Some ood work there stubby mate, been looking into starting something like this myself but you've beaten me to it. :thumbs: i only though of doing this because the gu in the unit next door to mine does flocking and would flock shells for me on the cheap.

keep it up mate cant wait to see the results. i think they'll work a treat. :thumbs:

ATB

Dom