Guys first off really sorry if this topic has been done to death...

I have never owned a 4 x 4 before as I am very lucky to have a company car for my job, so don't need it for a daily drive

I do a fair bit of shooting and am out every week either shooting or fishing or when in season wildfowling and am thinking of buying a 4 wheel drive to use on the farms and to get me over the winter as when it snows round here I can't get my car off the drive.

The options I have looked at so far and the info I have read on

Frontera

Shogun/Pajero

Daihatsu Fourtrak

Isuzu trooper

Land rover discovery (I love land rovers but couple of my mates have em and every week somethings going wrong on it)

I am looking at a budget of £2K and thinking of LWB which would you go for I don't want to be under it every week fixing something I want something fairly reliable which doesn't mind standing for a couple or three weeks at a time.

Any advice would be welcome

Cheers Seeker

As I own two I'd say land rover every time but you are right, what you would get for £2k would need a lot of TLC

Out of your list I would go for a Pajero, I had a SWB turbo diesel, slow but capable truck but mine never went wrong. (apart from when I rolled it but I can't blame the truck for that!)

HTH's,

Mick.

i would look at the y60 nissan patrol.. most are rusty but you will find a nice one with 2k if you look hard enough..

i THINK theres no timming belt/chain on the 4.2 diesel and theres bags of torque. the lwb seats 7 and still has loads of room and will return 30 mpg on a run

i would at least consider it

I'd hold off from buying a 4x4 for a few months, mate. It's looking very likely that shenanigans in Libya will see us paying 7 or 8 quid a gallon by summer, and gas guzzlers tend to be dumped cheap as, when fuel prices rocket. If you only need it for winter, then nowt lost by waiting for a while.

• Like 1

I'd hold off from buying a 4x4 for a few months, mate. It's looking very likely that shenanigans in Libya will see us paying 7 or 8 quid a gallon by summer, and gas guzzlers tend to be dumped cheap as, when fuel prices rocket. If you only need it for winter, then nowt lost by waiting for a while.

Oh Bert, you're all joy! :laugh:

Discovery TD5 anyone? :blink:

Oh Bert, you're all joy! :laugh:

Discovery TD5 anyone? :blink:

I call it being practical :icon_redface::laugh:

Ran a pajero for 6 years, but have changed it for a subaru forester

And I should have done it years ago !!! much cheaper to run and goes anywhere.

TBH unless you need a muckle big 4x4 I would think twice about buying one,, 20 to 25 mpg on diesel is a bit dear now

Forester is returning over 35 mpg

ATB