Pot fillers

I love the romantic notion of the lurcher feeding the family but can i ask, and this is probably better aimed at lurcher owners who kept them a few years ago. Have any of our members actually genuinely used a lurcher to help them through tough times, by putting food on the table and perhaps the game dealers/butchers trays......

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I still eat rabbit at least once a week I cook a huge vat of stew prob 4 or 5 rabbits after that nights tea the rest goes in pies and is frozen if the freezer is over flowing they are cooked for the d

i have a bitch here now that fills my freezer the game dealers fridge and any orders i get down the pub. she is no world beater by far but can hunt catch and retrieve fur and feather on land or retrie

to me that's the point of having a lurcher besides the feeling you get from enjoying watching them do what there bred for, if i don't eat what we catch dogs,friends,family are more than willing to tak

i have a bitch here now that fills my freezer the game dealers fridge and any orders i get down the pub. she is no world beater by far but can hunt catch and retrieve fur and feather on land or retrieve from water if i use the gun.

going back many years during the miners strike myself and my 2 brothers had to muck in whilst my father was on the picket line, my 2 younger brothers job was to sift coal from the slag heap accross the river wash it and keep the bunker full. my job was to keep the family in meat using rod gun ferrets and dogs. we all survived and none of us got malnourished LOL so i must have done ok.

so i suppose the answer is yes i have used the humble lurcher to help me through some tough times.

• Like 3

Went out with some miners in the strike and they did ok :thumbs: Though some of the things they got up to I wouldn't put on a open forum :thumbs:

lol that statement reminded me of some trips we had up to pensycynor wildlife park to relieve them of some large trout that looked better on the tables of hungry miners kids.

• Like 1

Went out with some miners in the strike and they did ok :thumbs: Though some of the things they got up to I wouldn't put on a open forum :thumbs:

lol that statement reminded me of some trips we had up to pensycynor wildlife park to relieve them of some large trout that looked better on the tables of hungry miners kids.

has penyscynor still got the tobbogan run :laugh:

happy nights spent there :whistling:

Edited by DottyDoo

I love the romantic notion of the lurcher feeding the family but can i ask, and this is probably better aimed at lurcher owners who kept them a few years ago. Have any of our members actually genuinely used a lurcher to help them through tough times, by putting food on the table and perhaps the game dealers/butchers trays......

I do it now mate :thumbs: Rabbits have become more than just a food item they are now a commodity and can be traded with the right people for other things :yes: I swap some for pints, veg, other meats, some I sell and the rest I keep for myself, ferrets and dogs any extras I give away to the local older generation for free :thumbs:

• Like 1

:yes: YES...

File0591.jpg

I've eaten plenty stuff which I've caught,not coz I was skint, but because it tastes lovely, if I was skint I'd have no probs catching my food to survive, coz I have a lurcher haha :thumbs:

penyscynor is now a persimmon homes housing site lol

penyscynor is now a persimmon homes housing site lol

aint that a shame :thumbdown:

It wasn't so romantic to some. Having to rely solely on your trained dog (if you had one) and using your skills to feed the family wasn't always fun, espeacially if the takings were minimal. :no:, but most got through in the end. ;)

Now, I don't think that it's needed as it was back then, times have changed dramastically and are continuing to do so :no: Today for some it's a living , and for the true lurcherman a way of life, a hobby in which I'm sure is taken seriously.

:victory:

I don't think a lurcher would have been the best supplier of food when times were hard to be honest, it would be another mouth to feed. I know my grandad lived through hard times and he was a well known poacher. Got most of his game using snares.

good post this used lurcher type dogs to fill the appetites of most .a fewextra quid helped to alieviate the extra bills when rearing a young family during the strike game was distributed amongst the families fishes etc, serious times have no place for weekness,the only animals kept were those that kept themselves . the type with constitutions that were easily kept not animals needing the protein one could rear 4 children up on. Times may have changed but in some cases things dont add up animals needing vast amounts to keep ,seems in some cases the roles have been reversed the mabn his needed to keep the animal. atb bunnys .