JACKING (OR PULLING UP)

A MATES 11 MONTHS OLD DOG PULLED UP IN A STINGER OF A RACE YESTERDAY. SHE WAS DOUBLED

UP WITH AN OLDER AND MUCH MORE EXPERCIENED DOG, AND IT WAS EASILY OVER 5 MINUTES.THIS

IS THE FIRST TIME SHE HAS DONE THIS AND SHE WAS FED THE NIGHT BEFORE (HE DID NOT NO).

QUESTION IS, IS SHE NOW A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME??? AND HAS THE OWNER COMPLETELY RUINED

HER?? ONCE THEY JACK, DO THEY JACK FOR LIFE?? :blink:

11 month old running a Feb hare for 5mins is quite a task. Put it bye till stubble`s are cut when the dog is older/stronger & condition`s are better to enter an inexperienced dog :thumbs:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tell your mate he is a tw.t for running the arse of a young dog , give the pup pleanty of rest and get it on some easy rabbits and hope it hasnt f..cked it confidence and its lungs !!

Well mate ,Ive done more thn my fair share and 99% of it has been on big land and with top class quarry.   Firstly. The chap stated that it was five mins plus and that is what most folk have answere

Just my very uneducated opinion, but you cant say a lurcher is no good until it has had at least a couple of seasons as a mature adult getting enough game put in front of it......you cant make your mi

A MATES 11 MONTHS OLD DOG PULLED UP IN A STINGER OF A RACE YESTERDAY. SHE WAS DOUBLED

UP WITH AN OLDER AND MUCH MORE EXPERCIENED DOG, AND IT WAS EASILY OVER 5 MINUTES.THIS

IS THE FIRST TIME SHE HAS DONE THIS AND SHE WAS FED THE NIGHT BEFORE (HE DID NOT NO).

QUESTION IS, IS SHE NOW A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME??? AND HAS THE OWNER COMPLETELY RUINED

11 month old running a Feb hare for 5mins(in a "stinger of a race") is quite a task. Put it bye till stubble`s are cut when the dog is older/stronger & condition`s are better to enter an inexperienced dog :thumbs:

Guest storm70

I just got rid of 1 for doing the same at 2 year old bread from captian had no stamina either had about a minute in it's tank ended up jst stalking or watching game 2 years down the tube you can put the best together and still get bad results but you can't lie about q dog not having it

5mins ???????,, did you time it,, hows the dog bred ??,,,, 1min seems like a lifetime when watching a run,,common mistake.

baldock,

Great posts fella. It seems you know what you are talkin about.

Thank you mate

I dont claim to be an expert but iv gone through a lot of rubbish to end up with a few good out and out working dogs. I dont kid myself its gutting to see your dog pull up but you can give them the best and they can be breed correctlie but if they havent got the heart thell skid.

I had a terreir jack at the weekend I held her back looked after her for years and still did it, that wont ever jack again the coward.

As for someone saying they wont run a lurcher at a hare till its two year old! well thats a long time to hold a dog just to find it cant work i m o.

God loves a trier and so do I. Ill go out of my way to re home a good hearted dog even if it ant the best at its job. But a one line breaker with a heart the size of a pea is no good to no one.

Edited by baldockbanks courser

5mins ???????,, did you time it,, hows the dog bred ??,,,, 1min seems like a lifetime when watching a run,,common mistake.

just what I said earlier but no one seems to answer that. I bet It put the A.B.S on a good while before five minits.
Guest storm70

No point feeding or keeping old wood honest post I think this happens to alote a guys or every1 would have champions thankgod I've another handydog it would be worse if you only had the 1 atb

id love to see this five minute hunt should of had it gathered up this time of year hares are away back

how many of the people who have commented on this subject can honestlie say they have done a full season of running proper single handed dogs 2 - 3 days a week on big land and killed good hares regular????

Because iv read a lot of your answers to this lads question and it doesnt seem like it to me.

firstlie did you have the stopwatch and time the run mate? Iv seen a lot of coursing and very few runs ever last five minits, they may seem like it at the time but in reality it was probely 2 mins.

secondlie how can you comment on an older dog not being any good for running a hare for a long time? lucky and foxy no doubt had real long runs were they no good?

how can you blame someone for the pup getting in on a long run hes not a fortune teller howd he know it was going to go a long way when he slipped it ? ?

Come on when are you ment to feed a dog a fortnight before you run it ? ? ? hows feeding it the night before an exuse thats when they should be feed.

once a SKIDDER always a SKIDDER once a lurcher knows he can throw the towel in he will do it again 1000%, Dump it or shoot it. iv given them the benifit of the doubt before and it may be next run the next month the next year but thell do it again when things ant going its way. it may be your fault it jacked but the damage was done.

Im not trying to ridicule people but Iv done a fair bit of coursing in the past and if you run the odd hare when you see one on the lamp or keep rabbiting lurchers i dont think you should stick the boot in so easily.

Well mate ,Ive done more thn my fair share and 99% of it has been on big land and with top class quarry.

Firstly. The chap stated that it was five mins plus and that is what most folk have answered to why call the bloke a liar unless you have a reason to back it up.

Secondly. Nobody was trying to say that the like of foxy and lucky were anything other than top class dogs and yes they may well ahve taken this long to take hares but as I stated in my post this would have been single handed and not doubled up which is were the doubt on the other dogs caperbility is coming into this arguement.( a dog with five mins in the tank on its own is a high class animal one that takes this long doubled up could well be seen as under acheiveing).

Thirdly. I run out with many very good dog men in all sorts of disiplins and few of them feel the need to shoot,dump or ill treat a dog.true many will not keep an under acheiver but carry out their duty and find it a good pet home.

And even the ones who may feel the way you do wouldn't blurt it out on an internet forum for the world and his anti wife to see..

I understand some of what your saying mate but I beleive that your taking out of context some of the points raised.Also you have a fair and widly agrred point that once a spewer always a spewer but I myself have seen quite some few dogs spew and although I wont lie and say go on to make good daytime hare dogs some have gone on to make very good lampers,moochers and as I say if all else fails good pets.

ATB

Edited by fensaluki
  • Like 3

how many of the people who have commented on this subject can honestlie say they have done a full season of running proper single handed dogs 2 - 3 days a week on big land and killed good hares regular????

Because iv read a lot of your answers to this lads question and it doesnt seem like it to me.

firstlie did you have the stopwatch and time the run mate? Iv seen a lot of coursing and very few runs ever last five minits, they may seem like it at the time but in reality it was probely 2 mins.

secondlie how can you comment on an older dog not being any good for running a hare for a long time? lucky and foxy no doubt had real long runs were they no good?

how can you blame someone for the pup getting in on a long run hes not a fortune teller howd he know it was going to go a long way when he slipped it ? ?

Come on when are you ment to feed a dog a fortnight before you run it ? ? ? hows feeding it the night before an exuse thats when they should be feed.

once a SKIDDER always a SKIDDER once a lurcher knows he can throw the towel in he will do it again 1000%, Dump it or shoot it. iv given them the benifit of the doubt before and it may be next run the next month the next year but thell do it again when things ant going its way. it may be your fault it jacked but the damage was done.

Im not trying to ridicule people but Iv done a fair bit of coursing in the past and if you run the odd hare when you see one on the lamp or keep rabbiting lurchers i dont think you should stick the boot in so easily.

Well mate ,Ive done more thn my fair share and 99% of it has been on big land and with top class quarry.

Firstly. The chap stated that it was five mins plus and that is what most folk have answered to why call the bloke a liar unless you have a reason to back it up.

Secondly. Nobody was trying to say that the like of foxy and lucky were anything other than top class dogs and yes they may well ahve taken this long to take hares but as I stated in my post this would have been single handed and not doubled up which is were the doubt on the other dogs caperbility is coming into this arguement.( a dog with five mins in the tank on its own is a high class animal one that takes this long doubled up could well be seen as under acheiveing).

Thirdly. I run out with many very good dog men in all sorts of disiplins and few of them feel the need to shoot,dump or ill treat a dog.true many will not keep an under acheiver but carry out their duty and find it a good pet home.

And even the ones who may feel the way you do wouldn't blurt it out on an internet forum for the world and his anti wife to see..

I understand some of what your saying mate but I beleive that your taking out of context some of the points raised.Also you have a fair and widly agrred point that once a spewer always a spewer but I myself have seen quite some few dogs spew and although I wont lie and say go on to make good daytime hare dogs some have gone on to make very good lampers,moochers and as I say if all else fails good pets.

ATB

I never accused the man of lying about a five minit run but I asked if he had a stop watch with him? Im saying he COULD HAVE been mistaken.

Its almost impossible to judge a "five minnit run" iv seen it before on the day people say it went three or four minnits but when you time it when watching it back on video its only 2 mins.

You say doubled up the dogs should kill the hare quicklie?

There was just one old dog running and an inexperience pup which could well either hinder the older dog by getting in its way or have little impact on the course at all. Iv not seen the run so its all hear say.

personally I think theres too many lurchers and greyhounds looking for homes as it is, if your the kind of person who can stop another one going in the system why not. Fen saluki if you run the fen regular then you know your coursing and your qualifed to put your point forward its people who dont who shouldnt comment.

Thanks

ATB

I never accused the man of lying about a five minit run but I asked if he had a stop watch with him? Im saying he COULD HAVE been mistaken.

Its almost impossible to judge a "five minnit run" iv seen it before on the day people say it went three or four minnits but when you time it when watching it back on video its only 2 mins.

There was just one old dog running and an inexperience pup which could well either hinder the older dog by getting in its way or have little impact on the course at all. Iv not seen the run so its all hear say.

personally I think theres too many lurchers and greyhounds looking for homes as it is, if your the kind of person who can stop another one going in the system why not. Fen saluki if you run the fen regular then you know your coursing and your qualifed to put your point forward its people who dont who shouldnt comment.

Thanks

well paddy should come back on a clear this all up

ATB

Thanks

I know exactly what your saying fella and to be fair you are right in your facts.I read in the original post that "this is the first time its done it" and I assumed he ment jack so I guessed it had at least done a bit and should be able to help more than hinder the lead dog but again I see your point and it could well of hindered if he had not done what I thought he had.

A fact of life is there are far to many lurchers unwanted in the world and I suppose that I'm very lucky in the fact that I have pleanty of room and if a dog fails to make it as decent daytime dog then I can have it around me for other stuff.Just personly dont like to hear of dogs shot and certainly not left in the field but thats probably me just getting soft...Each to their own though mate.

ATB

Shoot it put it down why because it made a mistake because it got a hard run at 11 months old its only a pup fs.

That is the reason why there so many pups for sale between 11 and 14 months its a joke pups need time to learn what there breed for.

Put him away till next year and just give him few rabbits over the summer some nice easy catches you see a better pup come the cutting on ff the corn.

Ever pup makes mistakes but not many get a chance to redeem them selves its a pity many off good pup put down because there owner cant see that they made the mistakes and not the pup

ATB

Fen saluki if you run the fen regular then you know your coursing and your qualifed to put your point forward its people who dont who shouldnt comment.

Thanks

So you only know about coursing if you run on the fen then???

hahaha Your talking utter shite! and every one can and will have their say, don't matter what you think!

Bit like you talking on posts you wanted no part in remember!

One thing we all know is not to put 11month old pup on a hare! only a dick head would do that!

Edited by graham4877