myxomatosis

in these times an ages carnt myxi be wiped out,,you get the antis moaning about hunting with dogs,but no one trys to stop this vile desease of rabbits,,,is there no cure at all,,, what can help the wild rabbits of uk,cos id be lost without them,,most lurchermen hunt them but myxi wipes out loads every other year,just a thought lads any views,atb mick

in these times an ages carnt myxi be wiped out,,you get the antis moaning about hunting with dogs,but no one trys to stop this vile desease of rabbits,,,is there no cure at all,,, what can help the wild rabbits of uk,cos id be lost without them,,most lurchermen hunt them but myxi wipes out loads every other year,just a thought lads any views,atb mick

Your right Mick I always think about that myself, there should be a cure found because it's not just us hunters suffering, the rest of the wildlife is disappearing and moving into towns looking for food, that's why so many foxes about in towns no food in the fields. I think :icon_redface:

An interesting question, I think its possible the anti's dont do anything about it because its the fact that we want to hunt that they object to. If mxyi was gone there would have to be more hunting to control the population. They would rather the rabbits died a long slow death of myxi rather than be killed cleanly by hunting.

Logistically i doubt it would be possible to get rid of it, i cant think of a practical way of immunising the entire rabbit population.

Im also not convinced that its mxyi causing the current decline in rabbit numbers, myxi has come and gone in a fairly regular localised cycle for years without causing a crash like this. Mxyi is easy to spot, blind rabbits in daytime etc but i've seen no more than normal this past year and yet the population seems to have crashed much harder?

• Like 1

Your right Mick I always think about that myself, there should be a cure found because it's not just us hunters suffering, the rest of the wildlife is disappearing and moving into towns looking for food, that's why so many foxes about in towns no food in the fields. I think :icon_redface:

You all keep blaming mixi but its been around for years and the rabbits keep coming back, BUT NOT NOW THERE IS LESS AND LESS AND THEY ARE NOT COMING BACK. ???????????

• Like 1

An interesting question, I think its possible the anti's dont do anything about it because its the fact that we want to hunt that they object to. If mxyi was gone there would have to be more hunting to control the population. They would rather the rabbits died a long slow death of myxi rather than be killed cleanly by hunting.

Logistically i doubt it would be possible to get rid of it, i cant think of a practical way of immunising the entire rabbit population.

Im also not convinced that its mxyi causing the current decline in rabbit numbers, myxi has come and gone in a fairly regular localised cycle for years without causing a crash like this. Mxyi is easy to spot, blind rabbits in daytime etc but i've seen no more than normal this past year and yet the population seems to have crashed much harder?

Yes Tyla,I've not seen no snotty eyed rabbits for a long time ,but the rabbits are gone,when myxy used to appear by us you would know by finding them about in fields of a day,you don't see them now.what is VHD what signs would a rabbit show.

Yes Tyla,I've not seen no snotty eyed rabbits for a long time ,but the rabbits are gone,when myxy used to appear by us you would know by finding them about in fields of a day,you don't see them now.what is VHD what signs would a rabbit show.

VHD they just go back it to the burrows and die with in 24 hours. Could it be something the railway have put down to kill them off because mixi hasen't worked ???????

Mixy does the rounds mate simple as ,,,we don't have VHD here yet and still have fair numbers locally,,BUT there again they aren't pressured like some areas ..remember you can only kill something once ...AND if your so called season starts in earnest in mid summer then your taking your future game ,,IMO thats a good thing less rabbits means your keeping on top of things ..end of the day if its permission your doing a good job

And to think they introduced this vile disease into this country [bANNED TEXT] ordinary working men were and still are taken to court and get a criminal record for catching them without permision ffs.Part of me still thinks they brought it in to keep commoners off the gentrys land.

Yep, you never hear of an anti protesting against rat poison either...another slow painfull way for an animal to die.