question for our american doggers on here

They are just mongrel types of any sort. Cur dog means so many different things it's hard to explain. Could be an old farm collie or farm bulldog bred to a hound type or like you said a terrier type to a hound. Nowadays they have them registered and shit though so who knows what they are. A good one is neat to have around though.

They are just mongrel types of any sort. Cur dog means so many different things it's hard to explain. Could be an old farm collie or farm bulldog bred to a hound type or like you said a terrier type to a hound. Nowadays they have them registered and shit though so who knows what they are. A good one is neat to have around though.

ta dan i did read that they could be descended from cattle dog "curs" from england/europe mated to local dogs.

Think of a cur as a type of dog and not a breed... though some lines have been fixed and are considered breeds. Think of them as a working man's rustic type dog. Depending on the lines they work stock, tree game, bay hogs, guard the homestead, etc. Most of them are descended early pioneering types working dogs. They needed dogs that could work free range cattle and hogs as well as put meat on the table. Generally speaking, with some exceptions, curs are shorter ranged than hounds, have hotter noses, and mostly silent on trail. Some tree some don't. I've hunted hogs with Catahoulas, black mouth curs, and Lacy curs... and various mixes in between. But that was all on hogs. Up North and East curs are used for all sorts of treeing game. Squirrels, coon, cats, bear, what have you.

Sean

I have the best! :toast::laugh::laugh::boogie:

Mine i have used on bear only,You can see hound, bulldog pointer,Briffon breeze swant :blink: I loved to walk hunt with them like they did back in the 1700's when you guys still owned the joint. :laugh:

051910012.jpg

041210007.jpg

Love the brindle bobtails. Are those mountain curs?

Edited by machine73

thanks for the pics and replies been googling and the curs,

and squirrel dogs "feists" is it look fun to hunt with.

what sort of height and weight do they go to looks like they can vary abit.

i assume they are hard as nails and can live on left over scraps etc

like many a dog had to years ago. :thumbs:

The males range from about 40 to 55 give or take. And........no they are not hard as nails at all. Most folks breeding them today have confused good handling and intelligent with lazy and cowardly. Like I always say, "dont believe they hype". :thumbs:

thanks for the pics and replies been googling and the curs,

and squirrel dogs "feists" is it look fun to hunt with.

what sort of height and weight do they go to looks like they can vary abit.

i assume they are hard as nails and can live on left over scraps etc

like many a dog had to years ago. :thumbs:

The males range from about 40 to 55 give or take. And........no they are not hard as nails at all. Most folks breeding them today have confused good handling and intelligent with lazy and cowardly. Like I always say, "dont believe they hype". :thumbs:

howdy dan :thumbs:

I see a lot of curs being used as locators especial in the states for hog hunters, they are varied so much but there is several variations that are popular names, not big into curs. a little information like the leopard curs, blackmouthed, etc. If you are considering these dogs look up the Catahoula, a cousin in sorts of the style of breeding, pure this is a regonized breed. The variations are endless of cross breeding, there is a good following of them here in the states usually in the states that have hogs mostly from what I see but I have seen a lot of them in relation to coon hunting too. I hope it helps but I know the guys who are using them with hogs lots of them are using the apbt as a cross with the cur dogs with hound influences to give them scent and catching ability. I have heard some can catch hogs and coons like any other hound but then have the catching ability like a apbt or a dogo adding more mouth to them and less dog aggression which is sparatic when you breed any terrier blood into line, not always but seen. You will see the pit bull related to lot of people who the curs when hunting big game and lots of crosses too. Becareful with pit bull people, there are good ones but compared to hunting there is way dishonest people in the dogs, kind of why I have distanced myself from those type of dogs, I own them but I got what I need so I don't really have to associate with them. It is a stereotype but very true at the same time. Good luck in your search, try these two places and i know there was australia people here at one time, www.game-dog.com and then try http://www.baydog.com/index.html mostly americans on both.

definition of a cur dog,"not a hound", check out any good english foxhunting literature, good pics though.

Yes in English hound circles a cur dog is any dog other than a hound no matter how many ribbons it might have won. In American hunting terminology a cur is a general mixed breed working/hunting dog many of which are being bred true to type. Curs have there history with the early settlers and their european and native dogs.

By Deffination the ridgeback is a cur dog from another continent.

Black mouth curs (BMC) can range from 45 to close to 100lbs. Most are no more than 60. At least in hog hunting lines. Same with Catahoulas. I've seen very largs cats with thick bone structure being used as catch dogs and smaller more fleet cats used as pure bay dogs. Most are somewhere in between, gritty bay dogs. A large percentage of cats that I've hunted with were ill and only deserve a lead infusion to the brain pan in my opinion. Can't tolerate a fighting dog. The word cur has a bad negative connotation to ya'll, but lots of cattle men back home still rely on their stock working curs and wouldn't trade them for anything. These guys have been keeping and improving the same bloodlines for generations... culling what ever doesn't work.