favourite boxer

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Those two pricks as you call them,reached the very highest level of their profession winning world titles and securing their families futures....what have you won a world title at ?

my all time favourite boxer was a little fellow called barry mcguigan cracking fighter he reminded me of a little terrier he never backed up brilliant to watch

mayweather jr, easyly one of the most talented fighters to grace this earth, even if he is a dick.

Nice to see Lloyds name mentioned, he was a very good agressive fighter, I liked him a lot....its a shame his hands were too weak to cope.

Does anyone know if this is what eneded his career?

Honeyghan was a great character,he wasnt blessed with great boxing skills but he had bundles of energy and enthusiasm....he wasnt the most stable of chaps and had the attention span of a goldfish !....Mickey Duff his manager always said if he hadnt been such a good fighter he would have washed his hands of him as he was such a pain in the arse....Lloyd had a genuine dislike/rivalry with an American Marlon Starling...it wasnt just hype it was genuine hatred....sadly when they fought Starling battered him knocked him down about 5 times and stopped him around the third or fourth round.....it was a humiliating loss and a humiliating way to lose and personally i dont think he ever recovered from that loss he had a few more fights but lost to domestic level fighters....i believe the Starling loss took a lot out of Honeyghan...

He was a good fighter who totally ruined the career of Don Curry who at the time was being touted as a future all time great..

After he retired he tried his hand at promoting but didnt really work out....he looked more like a Soho pimp than a boxing promoter,he always liked to do things different !

Edited by gnasher16

:notworthy: Always appreciate your in depth analysis of a fighter Gnasher... :yes:

Its also great to hear, some personal information, as told from an insider's point of view,..and always recounted with knowledge, born of genuine experience. :thumbs:

Thats fine your welcome sir.... rubbed shoulders with most of the London fighters from the 80,s so it always brings back happy memories and good to share experiences etc :thumbs:....just wish my memory was a little better sometimes :D

Thanks Gnasher, sad to hear that it seems to have ended rather flat for Lloyd, he came across as a character just as you describe him.

Oddly enough, I always liked Chris Eubank as well, forget all the show he seemed to have a lot of heart when in the ring.......was it him that put that tit Gary Stretch through the ropes?, I think it was.

One of my favourite all time moments.

I used to love sitting and watching the boxing as a kid with my old Dad and he would take me to a few nights at the York Hall (late 70s) , lots of old characters and nearly every one a little "shady".....great experiences for a little lad.

Just as Chalky says, thanks for sharing :thumbs:

Thanks Gnasher, sad to hear that it seems to have ended rather flat for Lloyd, he came across as a character just as you describe him.

Oddly enough, I always liked Chris Eubank as well, forget all the show he seemed to have a lot of heart when in the ring.......was it him that put that tit Gary Stretch through the ropes?, I think it was.

One of my favourite all time moments.

I used to love sitting and watching the boxing as a kid with my old Dad and he would take me to a few nights at the York Hall (late 70s) , lots of old characters and nearly every one a little "shady".....great experiences for a little lad.

Just as Chalky says, thanks for sharing :thumbs:

You will know more than most Wilf this area has a big boxing tradition and the York Hall is central to that,was fortunate enough to fight there several times and having spoken to many fighters everyone says the same....its the Madison Square garden of Europe ! For a relatively small venue nowhere comes close for history,atmosphere and boxing knowledge of the paying punters.I remember years ago Frank Bruno saying he was more nervous fighting at York Hall than he was at the MGN Grand Las Vegas :D

Not sure about the Eubank/Stretch fight,you are probably right it does ring a bell......Eubanks greatest asset was a chin of granite......frustrating fighter to watch as you always felt he could do more...

All the best lads :thumbs:

Edited by gnasher16

...he looked more like a Soho pimp than a boxing promoter,he always liked to do things different !

Yes he did/does I met him at the Lewis vs. Botha fight in London, and that's just what I thought of him lol. He looked very dapper indeed :big_boss: .

My old pal Lloyd Hibbert fought Honeyghan in the early 80's, and lost a close decision to him. Hibbert reckons he should of won, but I haven't seen the fight to have an opinion on it.

No one-and i mean no one, had has much heart as Johnny Owen aka The Matchstick Man. That guy could fight!! True gent out of the ring, which is a big contrast to most of the arogant c***s these days. Paid the highest price though. Legend.

agree with you,tragic when you look at his life- never drank ,never smoked,never had a girlfriend-lived for his boxing and died for it..iN MODREN TIMES the fighter that impresses me most is guillermo rigondeaux