favourite boxer

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Those two pricks as you call them,reached the very highest level of their profession winning world titles and securing their families futures....what have you won a world title at ?

my all time favourite boxer was a little fellow called barry mcguigan cracking fighter he reminded me of a little terrier he never backed up brilliant to watch

mayweather jr, easyly one of the most talented fighters to grace this earth, even if he is a dick.

uesed to love watching benn, and also bruno, two priks, made me laugh.

-

Those two pricks as you call them,reached the very highest level of their profession winning world titles and securing their families futures....what have you won a world title at ?

• Like 2

Yes he did/does I met him at the Lewis vs. Botha fight in London, and that's just what I thought of him lol. He looked very dapper indeed :big_boss: .

My old pal Lloyd Hibbert fought Honeyghan in the early 80's, and lost a close decision to him. Hibbert reckons he should of won, but I haven't seen the fight to have an opinion on it.

If my memory serves me correct that fight was at the Royal Albert Hall in 83,i cant remember the fight now but what with Honeyghan being a Mickey Duff man theres every chance it was a dubious decision :D

I only remember it because there was 3 or 4 of our boys fighting on that bill...Mark Kaylor won a decision,Bruno got an early stoppage on cuts,little Tony Adams had a win,someone else but i forget now...all out of the Royal Oak in Canning Town.

I never knew Mr Hibbert but i know he was a good fighter he is keeping well i hope ?...Wasnt he from Leicester or somewhere i remember Chris Pyatt being lined up to fight him but it fell through i know Chris was from Leicester also but used to train at the Royal Oak....infact Pyatt gave up the British Title around the time Honeyghan and Hibbert fought i cant remember what the deal was now maybe they was fighting for the vacated title ?...though i might be wrong.

Edited by gnasher16

If my memory serves me correct that fight was at the Royal Albert Hall in 83,i cant remember the fight now but what with Honeyghan being a Mickey Duff man theres every chance it was a dubious decision :D

I only remember it because there was 3 or 4 of our boys fighting on that bill...Mark Kaylor won a decision,Bruno got an early stoppage on cuts,little Tony Adams had a win,someone else but i forget now...all out of the Royal Oak in Canning Town.

I never knew Mr Hibbert but i know he was a good fighter he is keeping well i hope ?...Wasnt he from Leicester or somewhere i remember Chris Pyatt being lined up to fight him but it fell through i know Chris was from Leicester also but used to train at the Royal Oak....infact Pyatt gave up the British Title around the time Honeyghan and Hibbert fought i cant remember what the deal was now maybe they was fighting for the vacated title ?...though i might be wrong.

Yeah he was a decent boxer, he won the Commonwealth title against Wiltshire and I'm sure the vacant British title was meant to be on the line at the same time, although I'm not sure who vacated it and whether he actually ever did fight for it? For one reason or another, when the fight happened against Wiltshire it was only for the Commonwealth title, I can't remember why now? and I'm not sure the fight with Honeyghan was for the British title or whether it was an Eliminator? I'll have to ask him when I see him next.

As you will know the commonwealth title was a cup back in them days, and the cup Lloyd won ended up at his younger brothers house, and Lloyd's brother had it sat in the middle of his coffee table in the living room :toast: . It became a holder for his remote controls and cigarettes lol.

He isn't from Leicester, he's from the same area I'm from in Birmingham. He's a good bloke, he enjoys a few tots on the weekend and is still mad for the birds lol, I usually see him on the weekend in the pub with his son who is a close pal of mine who I've known for years.

When I asked him who was the best fighter he fought, he told me that the best boxer he fought was Joe Singleton with out even hesitating. He also told me that he became pretty disheartened with the business side of the sport, how he felt he was being ripped off, and that at the time he was earning more money working for his mate, so he retired from the sport pretty early.

Yeah he was a decent boxer, he won the Commonwealth title against Wiltshire and I'm sure the vacant British title was meant to be on the line at the same time, although I'm not sure who vacated it and whether he actually ever did fight for it? For one reason or another, when the fight happened against Wiltshire it was only for the Commonwealth title, I can't remember why now? and I'm not sure the fight with Honeyghan was for the British title or whether it was an Eliminator? I'll have to ask him when I see him next.

As you will know the commonwealth title was a cup back in them days, and the cup Lloyd won ended up at his younger brothers house, and Lloyd's brother had it sat in the middle of his coffee table in the living room :toast: . It became a holder for his remote controls and cigarettes lol.

He isn't from Leicester, he's from the same area I'm from in Birmingham. He's a good bloke, he enjoys a few tots on the weekend and is still mad for the birds lol, I usually see him on the weekend in the pub with his son who is a close pal of mine who I've known for years.

When I asked him who was the best fighter he fought, he told me that the best boxer he fought was Joe Singleton with out even hesitating. He also told me that he became pretty disheartened with the business side of the sport, how he felt he was being ripped off, and that at the time he was earning more money working for his mate, so he retired from the sport pretty early.

Birmingham course he was thats right,there was some decent welterweights back then it was pretty competetive between London and the Midlands there was Honeyghan,Sylvester Mittee who was out of West Ham,all the Mckenzie lot from South London....then there was Hibbert,Joey Mack,Cliff Gilpin....then of course Kirkland Laing was up the road....Cliff Gilpin was a good fighter lived near the Wolves ground,had Honeyghan on his arse at the Albert Hall once.

None of them set the world alight but it was a good time they all fought each other pretty much....Joe Singleton was a scouser if i remember right,thought he was a bit older maybe im wrong,i know he lost a British title fight to Dave boy Green must have been late 70,s....who in turn caught a big hero from these parts John H Stracey right at the end of his career.....anyway im waffling now :D

Edited by gnasher16