best way to get in to falconry

JPTfellterrier

the courses show you the basics you better off finding somone in your area who fly's birds and ask if you tag along and help out even offer to ferret for them when they flying the hawks the iff forum i found on there when i started out the dont like new comers bunch of stuck up c**ts most of them to put it polite lol

Best way to start is to find a local falconer and see if you can go out with them. Unfortunately lots are winding up for this season so you may need to be patient and wait till September time. In the mean time go to game fairs ask questions and read books. One tip when you think you realise how much time it takes, double it. It really does take over when done correctly.

regards, Ian

totaly agree! didn't have or need forums and computers when I started. it was a case of getting up the Libary reading some books! putting them down and reading them again and again until I could quote chapters off by heart. having said that reading too many books can be confusing as one can condradict another, it was always good to write down the info that would benefit me most.

simple things we take for granted like learning a Falconers knott and how to hold the bird on the glove may be basic but things that should be learned for the sake of the bird.

Its alot easier these days JP with the amount of Falconers and birds available. I'm sure if you google The "British Falconers Club" they would be able to put you in contact with someone in your area :thumbs:..

Give us a shout if you want any more info...

thank you for your advice, i shall get reading and searching out a falconer (if thats a word) in my area. Could anyone do me a favour and break down what they do dailly, weekly, monthly and seasonally with there birds. I am trying to translate what I am reading in to somthing i understand as I am very knowledable in fish biology and water chemistry and this is how i usually break things down for newbies

thank you for your advice, i shall get reading and searching out a falconer (if thats a word) in my area. Could anyone do me a favour and break down what they do dailly, weekly, monthly and seasonally with there birds. I am trying to translate what I am reading in to somthing i understand as I am very knowledable in fish biology and water chemistry and this is how i usually break things down for newbies

Take a reputable course similar to www.hawktalktraining.com and the trainer will make sure that you are competent in all aspects of falconry and hawking and whats more will ensure you are confident to Choose, house, equip, obtain, care for, man and train then hunt with your chosen bird. Mentors have busy lives with their own birds and often start off keenly but the help/time allocation runs thin sometimes. A really good mentor maintains the time allowance until you are able to stand alone.

Course and mentor and books and dvd afterwards are a very good start.

Dave