hi mate my " dogs iv got now are my first dogs but i have been advised by good dog men not to start till 12 months old mines ten months been out to watch once and thats it u need to let them grow and develope one pice of advice i was told was why rush if that dog gets ruiend uv got up to 14 years walking around with a pet which makes sense lol take ur time im a young lad myself all new to me but i no ill follow the one that have been there done it learn from there mistakes not ur own all the best pal

Aside from disheartening a young dog (or ending up with a dog that starts yapping and barking with frustration) you could blow it up with exhaustion/over-exertion, if it is keen, the pup won't know when to stop and you could do permanent damage as it is still not fully developed. Best just give it a chance to fill out over the Summer and have a keen fully developed dog ready for next Winter.

• Like 1

i have a six month old saluki bull x hes been out lamping twice now hes had a few runs with my mates dog but not caught,(im not expecting him to catch yet), is this too young to run him or is it just good exersise and training please comment

rohanman

6 mths defo to young to be running [bANNED TEXT] hold him back another couple a mths a would drop him a few ferreted rabbits thou

Aside from disheartening a young dog (or ending up with a dog that starts yapping and barking with frustration) you could blow it up with exhaustion/over-exertion, if it is keen, the pup won't know when to stop and you could do permanent damage as it is still not fully developed. Best just give it a chance to fill out over the Summer and have a keen fully developed dog ready for next Winter.

spot on

thumbs.gif

• Like 1

Im waiting till 12-14 month to get him working properly, had a few easy squatters when out mooching. Let pup be pup, you wouldnt ask a 3-4 year old kid to go to work, best words i heard from a man off this site 3 turns.. Talk to him, he knows the dance mate. Atb with your pup.

i have a six month old saluki bull x hes been out lamping twice now hes had a few runs with my mates dog but not caught,(im not expecting him to catch yet), is this too young to run him or is it just good exersise and training please comment

rohanman

If your not expecting him to catch then don't slip him. Simple...

Any young dog should be given every chance you can to ensure they catch their first few rabbits.

Searching about for hours trying to find a perfect squatter in the middle of a field or as Shugy said, drop him a rabbit in the middle of a field. Long grass, young rabbits, it's all ways of upping the chance your dog will catch and increase their confidence.

As Jack said it'll ended up yapping or just pulling up as it realises it can't catch.

Just concentrate on it's basic training for now.

personaly i think its down to the dog i have always found smaller racey types are more capable of aven the odd run but taller or heaveyer dogs take longer to find there legs. my little bitch went out once a wk watchin n once a wk chancen at 6 month n defo no charley till at least 12 month you know your dog but dont for get its a baby.

• Like 1