working terriers in usa

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Coyotehunter: If ya want some good digging and some challenging nuisance control feel free to join me about an hour from you this year right after the first cut is off. If we get there e

Im seeing my name being dropped here and there!,..nice to be famous..lol.   Im not a terrier man, never have said i was, or pretended to be,...i am a coon hunter though, and seeing as me and my tea

I've been waiting for the pictures Kye but they haven't arrived yet, i've also been watching this thread and THINKING what to put up without putting my big foot in it, the reply Kye has given you pret

Yankee

Can you give me your definition of a fur and sport hunter? Also please state which one you are and why. Thanks in advance I'm curious.

Steady I am a sport hunter ... I hunt to see good dog work not for "Body Count". I think a furhunter is out for the numbers game ...

Hi Cole,..

I havent hunted with all the lads dogs that you say, so i couldnt say what there dogs are like,...im sure they have some good dogs, and im sure they have culls, just like every line of dog..ive seen MAYBE 4-5 dogs i would keep that others have owned, and some of the reasons that i wouldnt keep all the others, are not JUST because they where shit hunters,...

As for numbers, ive never been a numbers man, apart from when i was getting PAID to kill large numbers back home. Honestly, i could go the Iowa, and we could easily kill 100 coons everytime we go, but i ALWAYS ask our host to take us to the 'good dog work' areas!...also, before it gets cold up there, but the seasons open, we could go up there and kill a ton with the pistols easy, but we wait for the cold weather, when the dog work is good,...

As for terriers being marked-up when being on game, at the end of the day, if a dog is being worked, even pure bayers will get marked,...we have dogs that are pure bayers, and first season dogs, and they have been on maybe 15 coon,...they are marked...im not saying whose dogs work, and whose dont, im just saying, if a dog works game, with any regularity, they will be marked, just my opinion.

Cole, barn hunting IS terrier work, but its NOT the same as digging,...but it IS dog work!...just like lamping rabbits isnt hare coursing, but they are both still hunting.

At the end of the day, as ive said, im NOT a terrier man,...i just like to hunt, and i hunt the game, where it lives, be it in barn, earths, brush piles etc...

Earth work is different back home, but at the end of the day, earth work should ALWAYS be, one dog, in an earth, with game...

I dont have regular access to the internet at the moment, so sorry for the late reply...

PS,...just wanted to say, MOST terriers back in the UK are shit as well, what most people dont realise, is how HARD it is to get good terriers, and most people dont work them enough to see if its inferior stock,

Edited by Kye
Guest busterdog

Hi Cole,..

I havent hunted with all the lads dogs that you say, so i couldnt say what there dogs are like,...im sure they have some good dogs, and im sure they have culls, just like every line of dog..ive seen MAYBE 4-5 dogs i would keep that others have owned, and some of the reasons that i wouldnt keep all the others, are not JUST because they where shit hunters,...

As for numbers, ive never been a numbers man, apart from when i was getting PAID to kill large numbers back home. Honestly, i could go the Iowa, and we could easily kill 100 coons everytime we go, but i ALWAYS ask our host to take us to the 'good dog work' areas!...also, before it gets cold up there, but the seasons open, we could go up there and kill a ton with the pistols easy, but we wait for the cold weather, when the dog work is good,...

As for terriers being marked-up when being on game, at the end of the day, if a dog is being worked, even pure bayers will get marked,...we have dogs that are pure bayers, and first season dogs, and they have been on maybe 15 coon,...they are marked...im not saying whose dogs work, and whose dont, im just saying, if a dog works game, with any regularity, they will be marked, just my opinion.

Cole, barn hunting IS terrier work, but its NOT the same as digging,...but it IS dog work!...just like lamping rabbits isnt hare coursing, but they are both still hunting.

At the end of the day, as ive said, im NOT a terrier man,...i just like to hunt, and i hunt the game, where it lives, be it in barn, earths, brush piles etc...

Earth work is different back home, but at the end of the day, earth work should ALWAYS be, one dog, in an earth, with game...

I dont have regular access to the internet at the moment, so sorry for the late reply...

PS,...just wanted to say, MOST terriers back in the UK are shit as well, what most people dont realise, is how HARD it is to get good terriers, and most people dont work them enough to see if its inferior stock,

I've been waiting for the pictures Kye but they haven't arrived yet, i've also been watching this thread and THINKING what to put up without putting my big foot in it, the reply Kye has given you pretty much sums it up and will do for me, but i would like to add that our American cousins really should get over the barn hunting thing, as Kye said i've dug terriers with the best of the best and for many a year and IMHO terrier work is terrier work be it in a barn or in the ground "end of". Theres plenty of pro's and cons for all types of terrier work, just enjoy all of them and stop bitching about who's dicks bigger than the next.

• Like 1

Hi Cole,..

HEY BOLLOCKS JUST BECAUSE YOU GO OUT CHASING DAVY CROCKETS HATS DONT GO ALL BIG TIME MOST TERRIERS BACK IN THE UK ARE SHIT HOW MANY YOU DUG WITH BIG BALLS :big_boss:

Barn work and digging are completely different, just like over here the difference between earthwork and balestacks, they are just incomparable, both mean work for the dogs though so carry on!

Numbers don't mean shit, hours with dogs on the ground does!

I could go to a balestack and get 3 charlies out in half hour, or I could walk the woods for hours checking earths and get jack shit.

As long as your out there, who cares!

Put your dicks away and get the dogs out!

Atb

Molie