shooting dogs

wasn,t sure which section to ask this question but when doe,s a farmer/landowner have the right to shoot a dog ? I thought it was only when it was worrying livestock but a couple of the guys reckon different,need somebody to clear this up,thanks :thumbs:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It all comes under property legislation now. If a farmer's property, eg sheep, is being dameged by a dog, he or his appointed representative can take reasonable steps to prevent further damage. If tha

from the NE website     Keep dogs under close control The countryside is a great place to exercise dogs, but it’s every owner’s duty to make sure their dog is not a danger or nuisance to farm

:nono::rtfm: Game birds are not protected by law against dogs! I found this out the hard way,From the police who had a word with me after I told a stupid cow out walking her dogs on private land to F*ck off or i will shoot her dogs if they bother the game birds we have in that area. Fair play to the plod he agreed with me and said in future fire a warning shot and see them pull their dogs to heel and stay on footpaths. :hunter::hunter:

Only livestock which includes sheep and cows and birds in a confined area e.g. pheasants in a release pen.

Not wildlife.

:nono::rtfm: Game birds are not protected by law against dogs! I found this out the hard way,From the police who had a word with me after I told a stupid cow out walking her dogs on private land to F*ck off or i will shoot her dogs if they bother the game birds we have in that area. Fair play to the plod he agreed with me and said in future fire a warning shot and see them pull their dogs to heel and stay on footpaths. :hunter::hunter:

Only livestock which includes sheep and cows and birds in a confined area e.g. pheasants in a release pen.

Not wildlife.

this brief believes otherwise http://www.wrighthassall.co.uk/resources/articles/art_frbu_animal_law.aspx

Protecting game is rather different. To avoid criminal liability, you have to prove that the shooting of a dog that was worrying game, was taken to protect your own property or your interest in that property. To do this, you need to demonstrate that you honestly believed that, at the time, the game was in immediate need of protection and that, under the circumstances, you used reasonable means.

In addition, to avoid civil liability, you will need to prove that the dog was either actually in the process of attacking the animals or, without the intervention, would renew its attack so that the animals would be left in a real and imminent danger.

Bearing in mind that shooting dogs should always be the last resort, however if your livestock is being worried, you can take action. However, you need to exercise more caution where game is concerned, as all relevant circumstances will be taken into account to establish if there was an imminent threat.

Edited by danw

wasn,t sure which section to ask this question but when doe,s a farmer/landowner have the right to shoot a dog ? I thought it was only when it was worrying livestock but a couple of the guys reckon different,need somebody to clear this up,thanks :thumbs:

I remeber a local farmer going to someones back garden and shooting ther dog in the garden i sor it happen it was about 30 years ago and another local farmer shooting a dog on common land when the owner was there and it wasent chasing anything that was only 4 years ago he hasn't got a shotgun licence anymore cause he thretend someone with a knife

they have to have the condition written on their ticket permitting them to shoot the dogs for worrying livestock :thumbs:

No they don't. Certainly not with a shotgun, and any keeper will have a condition allowing use of the gun to protect livestock.

so dose that mean if i get some chikens and if somebody walking a dog in myfield i can shoot the dog? iv got keep owt signs all round the field and they wont keep owt doing my head in. :wallbash:

It is illegal for a dog to be out of control in a field of sheep whether the dog is chasing the sheep or not since the Wildlife and Country side act1981.

The Animals act 1971 makes the shooting of a dog defensible as a last resort if the dog is worrying livestock,is about to worry stock or has worried stock and is still hanging around looking menacing and it cannot be caught or the owner traced.

The shooting of a dog must be reported to the police . The shooting must take place on agricultural land and be for the last ditch defense of livestock.

Game that is wild or has been released is certainly not covered ,but,

The shooting of a dog destroying penned game , seriously damaging any domestic animals or property or acting dangerously might be seen as a reasonable action and would be a good defence should the matter go to court or a claim for damages be made by the dogs owner.

Clearly shooting a 500 quid pedigree dog to save a three quid bantam might not be considered reasonable behaviour so a bit of thought is clearly required and each scenario and potential court case judged on merit .

Things are a bit different nowadays with everybody "knowing their rights " and the general low level of obedience of many dogs that are let off the lead in the countryside these days , but a few years ago the average country person would have been beside themselves with embarrassment to find that their pooch had been worrying stock and it was not unknown for folk to hand their pets over to the farmer or even do the deed themselves .

Edited by comanche

It all comes under property legislation now. If a farmer's property, eg sheep, is being dameged by a dog, he or his appointed representative can take reasonable steps to prevent further damage. If that entails shooting a dog, the dog must be shot with a gun of suitable calibre - .243 is recommended. The owner of the dog may then take civil, not criminal, action action to recover the cost of the dog, but the farmer may counter-claim for the cost of sheep which have died or lost lambs as a result of the attack. Wild-life remains a grey area. A wild animal is the property of the person on whose land it lives. If a farmer has an area where he allows pheasant to breed, in order to sell shooting rights in season, then a dog running amok in that area could be deemed to be damaging his property and shot. AFAIK, there is no test case on this.

It comes back to common sense. If the dog is causing real harm, it may be shot. If it's a yaphound playing silly bugglers, grab the little wretch by the scruff of the neck, give the dog back to him and tell him to feck off.

• Like 1

just to add from another topic on here, that these laws may help you in your time of need and also be handy to know a little about...

As said a silly little pot licker running amuck is one thing, but a dog running through and worrying sheep trying to bite is a differing story..

Animals Act 1971

You could be liable for damage caused by your dog under this Act or under some degree of negligence. It is highly advisable to have third party liability insurance to cover this, something that is included in most pet and some household insurance policies.

Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 1953

Your dog must not worry (chase or attack) livestock (cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, horses and poultry) on agricultural land, so keep your dog on a lead around livestock. If your dog worries livestock, the farmer has the right to stop your dog (even by shooting your dog in certain circumstances).

Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 (section 3)

It is a criminal offence (for the owner and/or the person in charge of the dog) to allow a dog to be 'dangerously out of control' in a public place, a place where it is not permitted to be, and some other areas. A 'dangerously out of control' dog can be defined as a dog that has injured someone or a dog that a person has grounds for reasonable apprehension that it may do so. Something as simple as your dog chasing, barking at or jumping up at a person or child could lead to a complaint, so ensure that your dog is under control at all times. If your dog injures a person, it may be seized by the police and your penalty may include a prison sentence and/or a ban on keeping dogs. There is also an automatic presumption that your dog will be destroyed (unless you can persuade the court that it is not a danger to the public, in which case it may be subject to a control order). You may also have to pay a fine, compensation and costs.

The Control of Dogs Order 1992

This mandates that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address of the owner engraved or written on it, or engraved on a tag. Your telephone number is optional (but advisable).

Dogs Act 1871

It is a civil offence if a dog is dangerous (to people or animals) and not kept under proper control (generally regarded as not on a lead nor muzzled). This law can apply wherever the incident happened. The dog can be subject to a control or a destruction order and you may have to pay costs.