Smallest Leveret I Have Ever Seen.......!

I was checking some squirrel cage traps today........when a hare made a swift exit from just inside a small clearing (next to an ancient oak tree)......... and came from a small clump of briars. Looking into the "form" she had emerged from i saw the smallest leveret i have ever seen...smaller than a tennis ball in size. It could only have been a few hours old in my opinion, ( the fur didn't look completely dry) but may have been born during the night. It sat motionless.........as it's natural defence dictates.......and let me get a real good close up picture.........I am no photographer........but it let me get a very close shot with my Canon digital. You can tell how small it was by the size of the Oak leaf it was sitting on. I am lucky in as much as i do get to witness some fantastic sights at times.........made my day this one did.

post-12022-0-65489500-1297023263_thumb.jpg

:thumbs:

I was checking some squirrel cage traps today........when a hare made a swift exit from just inside a small clearing (next to an ancient oak tree)......... and came from a small clump of briars. Looking into the "form" she had emerged from i saw the smallest leveret i have ever seen...smaller than a tennis ball in size. It could only have been a few hours old in my opinion, ( the fur didn't look completely dry) but may have been born during the night. It sat motionless.........as it's natural defence dictates.......and let me get a real good close up picture.........I am no photographer........but it let me get a very close shot with my Canon digital. You can tell how small it was by the size of the Oak leaf it was sitting on. I am lucky in as much as i do get to witness some fantastic sights at times.........made my day this one did.

stunning mate,never seen one that young myself :thumbs:

I'd say its over a day old :thumbs: hares will drop the leverets at night and leave them,she'll come back the next night feed and spread them around singly(hence why I think its over a day old)she will then visit them to feed them only once a night and they will nibble vegetation from a very early age. As you say they rely on staying motionless to survive

Y.I.S Leeview