American that needs an education

So I would really like to course here (western states, rocky mountains).

I want to, hunt jackrabbit, coyote, and pronghorn and deer. (I know that hunting antelope, and deer is illegal in America, but what no ones sees didnt actually happen right? Anyways, just consider everything here a hypothetical. So I have some questions. I am very ignorant at this point, and I will do alot of research before I purchase a dog. My questions are ignorant and I am sure make me look irresponsible, but they are just ignorant. Let's see if anyone has an opinion on any of them:

1. What's the deal with lurchers? are they better hunters than purebreds?

2. What about a poodle lurcher? poodles were bred to hunt deer?

3. It's cold here, what about a deerhound or grey crossed with a cold weather dog like a husky (plus huskies have stamina like nothing else)?

4. What about a deerhound or grey crossed with a scent hound so they could run and find scent?

5. How big of a dog and how many would you need to actually bring down a mule deer (350 - 500 lbs)?

6. Could you hunt bear or mountain lion with sight hounds if you combined them with scent hounds. The idea being that the faster sight hounds would tree the bear or cougar faster. Problem is if they would chase something that big or if they would be smart enough to just corner it and not go in and get themselves killed.

7. The ground here is often rocky and uneven. Can you run dogs on that or do you have to go to a field.

8. When hunting coyote, how large of a dog should i run and how many so my dogs don't get torn up. Some coyotes are big 50+lbs and mean!

So thats all i have now, I'll have more as I learn more. Also tell me what I should be asking. Are there any coursers here from America?

I'm quite sure poodles were bred to be gun dogs (retrievers), not for coursing.

why don't gun dog crosses make good coursers? The german short haired pointer is very fast and has tons of stamina. It along with the grey were bred in with huskies to create the alaskan huskie that is used for sled racing.

as i says before go and buy gazehounds and coursing by d h salmon an old mate of mines or go on internet and have a hunt with some guys , i no several american hunters who would take you out for a small fee and you can make your mind up for yourself under there watchfull eye ,they sometimes have pups to and youll not go wrong with them , i maybe sound harsh but such is life if you wer eover here i would get you out with dogs and then see what you think i go to the usa every year or second year to course for decade or more have agood day

Most of the Gun dog breeds have an arkward Gaint for galoping and sharp twisting and turning, " fire of strike etc:!" they were bred to hunt at a certain pace for their type of Work over hundreds of years of breeding thousands of different crosses (proberbly all) have been tried including Husky gundogs Doberman's ETC: in England and Ireland etc: most hunting guys whittled down to the more sucessfull crosses as mostly used today mainly for different Purposes IE: (the type of terrain and quarry)Though their are exceptions to every rule Flat open Lands for the larger galoping types with turning time to spare IE: Suluki Types ,and Deerhound Hybreds and crosses for Shorter Fields and Lampers etc: Whippet Collies Bedlington and sucessful Bull breed mixes even others with a slight mix of larger Terrier in them somewhere for shapness tough tight feet like the Collie Crosses also have,Many with a little of eveything above and other breeds ,But though some may disagree most popular crosses are prefered for a reason to suit the Ground they run on. IE: hard rocky country like you discribe is often a "NO NO" for any running dog but a cross with strong tight feet would be a definate must Hope this helps in Sport Jonathan Booth

Edited by Jonathan Booth France

Whin you beat me to it lol'''''

Rory Its ok to ask questions just dont asked illeagle ones with 6 or so post in....you follow? If I were you read about two dozen threads hear and get a feel whats going on, by blasting away like you did it was like walking into a party and sticking your coc k in the punch bowl. Off the bat i felt you were a anti or with Peta lol. Here a link read it good luck-

http://www.high-lonesomehounds.com/

Askin the guys from over there about hunting in the US will give you only bad info.. My lurchers do things they said they could not and trail and tree with the hounds and it is still leagil in some countys in Cali and MO and I think MS and GA for Deer.. My Lurchers have been on Coon, Nutria, Beaver, Otter, Hares, Rabbits, Coyotes, Mouflon, Bear, Hogs, Cats, and Deer... Not all the same dog but all the same breeding Stag/Grey/Airedale/Pit..

Edited by bluecollar

as i says before go and buy gazehounds and coursing by d h salmon an old mate of mines or go on internet and have a hunt with some guys , i no several american hunters who would take you out for a small fee and you can make your mind up for yourself under there watchfull eye ,they sometimes have pups to and youll not go wrong with them , i maybe sound harsh but such is life if you wer eover here i would get you out with dogs and then see what you think i go to the usa every year or second year to course for decade or more have agood day

I'll buy the book. Thank you for the advice.

Most of the Gun dog breeds have an arkward Gaint for galoping and sharp twisting and turning, " fire of strike etc:!" they were bred to hunt at a certain pace for their type of Work over hundreds of years of breeding thousands of different crosses (proberbly all) have been tried including Husky gundogs Doberman's ETC: in England and Ireland etc: most hunting guys whittled down to the more sucessfull crosses as mostly used today mainly for different Purposes IE: (the type of terrain and quarry)Though their are exceptions to every rule Flat open Lands for the larger galoping types with turning time to spare IE: Suluki Types ,and Deerhound Hybreds and crosses for Shorter Fields and Lampers etc: Whippet Collies Bedlington and sucessful Bull breed mixes even others with a slight mix of larger Terrier in them somewhere for shapness tough tight feet like the Collie Crosses also have,Many with a little of eveything above and other breeds ,But though some may disagree most popular crosses are prefered for a reason to suit the Ground they run on. IE: hard rocky country like you discribe is often a "NO NO" for any running dog but a cross with strong tight feet would be a definate must Hope this helps in Sport Jonathan Booth

Thank you for providing an explanation to my question. I guess that if I am running on rocky ground, the prey will be slower as well which allows me to focus less on speed and more on the dogs feet.

Askin the guys from over there about hunting in the US will give you only bad info.. My lurchers do things they said they could not and trail and tree with the hounds and it is still leagil in some countys in Cali and MO and I think MS and GA for Deer.. My Lurchers have been on Coon, Nutria, Beaver, Otter, Hares, Rabbits, Coyotes, Mouflon, Bear, Hogs, Cats, and Deer... Not all the same dog but all the same breeding Stag/Grey/Airedale/Pit..

Are you saying that your lurchers are quick enough to catch rabbit but will also pick up the scent of an animal a tree it or hold a hod till you get there?

you should let me know next time you have a good litter.

many thanks Rory

Are you saying that your lurchers are quick enough to catch rabbit but will also pick up the scent of an animal a tree it or hold a hod till you get there?

you should let me know next time you have a good litter.

many thanks Rory

they dont cold trail like a hound but they will use their nose. I have seen it a ton..