Bull Arabs

Just wanted to know if you had heard of Bull Arabs. I know the aussie boys will have but was wondering if anyone from countries outside of oz have heard of them. They are quite good dogs over here and are mainly used on pigs.

would have thought it would be a one of the bull breeds x to either saluki or sloughi :hmm:

I think they consist of,

Bull Terrier , Greyhound and pointer?? correct me if im wrong. I have seen Bull Arab crosses work but not pure bull arabs, But i love watching a pig dog sit on the back of a ute with his nose in the air. And to watch him bail off its amazing to see. He leaves everythin else alone but pigs. I love it ,

well the makeup of the bullarab is really only known to the guy that created them, that hodgens fella

some say they are greyhound/eng bull terrier/eng pointer but others say they had saluki not greyhound in them, but later on he put GH in there as salukis were harder to get, yet again ive heard of a line of dogs with none of that being used in the breeding program

anyway the makeup isnt that important, its the fact that they are bred to work and do it naturally that would matter

Guest oldskool

when i was travelin round oz i bought a few pig huntin mags on the way... sorry for the poor pics but they are the best i can do... some of them look nice, might be nicer crossed to a grey???

Guest oldskool

some of them look class but theres a few that look like there alot of hound blood or somethin in them :hmm: ... i think there was one there that looked like there is a bit of great dane showing through in it?? i seen a few crosses over there that were a mix of wolfhound and great dane.. they were huge, the sort of thing that you could put a saddle on :) ... these bull arabs seem to be quite scarce??? i asked one of the locals about bull arabs and he said he hadnt seen one in years... he used boxer/wolfhound/pointer, he told me to "rack off mate" when i said i didnt think they would be much use for coursin anythin else other than pigs :icon_redface::laugh:

I found this on a site don't know if it is true but it sounds ok.

"The name Bull Arab came about around 26 to 28 years ago, when a fellow by the name of Mick Hodges, living in and around Brisbane at the time , ended up with a mistake litter of pups out of a Bullterrier bitch called Bull and a Doberman dog called Arab. Whilst writing an advertisement in the local paper to sell the pups in a hurry after work, he wrote down Bull Arab pups, instead of Bull – Doberman pups and did not even realise this until his first few phone calls that Saturday morning. A good number of people rang enquiring about the Bull Arab pups, and seeing the opportunity, Mick carried on the name for a number of years, selling just about anything he could get his hands on as a Bull Arab. A joint breeding program with a couple of other blokes soon kicked into gear and by putting together Bullterrier, Greyhound and Pointer for tenacity, speed and hunting ability, they started work on the Bull Arab that is commonly used today and still very much the type that it was when first put together 5 or6 years after the name came about." This is a quote from an article about Bull Arabs."

Some more pics at http://www.boardogs.com/Brian_Neal_Bull_Arabs.htm

Edited by glinley