my quarry deservs nothing but the best .

40gr vmax at 3800ft pc :laugh:

55g noss at 3900ft ps :laugh:

3800 fps & 3900 fps, that's fast. What calibre are you using, .220 swift?

John

20 cal (204)doing 3800 with 40gr vmax and the 6mm with the 55gr noss doing just under the 3900. :thumbs:

I've not seen a Nosler 55 gr in .204 ? Their web site and load data only give a 50 gr showing 3400 fps max

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if i shot one and it ran off i wouldn't care what time it was, and if i couldn't find it i would go back down in the daylight and have a look.

Lol.its crazy how a genuine post gets blown out of proportion there is really no need we ere to help eachother out.Anyone who says they dont ever get a runner whether its foxing, rabbiting or pigeon s

We are all here to build and learn or experiences, And it seems to me that you think you may of never made a mistake while out shooting, As long as its a learning curve then thats all that matters,

my quarry deservs nothing but the best .

40gr vmax at 3800ft pc :laugh:

55g noss at 3900ft ps :laugh:

3800 fps & 3900 fps, that's fast. What calibre are you using, .220 swift?

John

20 cal (204)doing 3800 with 40gr vmax and the 6mm with the 55gr noss doing just under the 3900. :thumbs:

I've not seen a Nosler 55 gr in .204 ? Their web site and load data only give a 50 gr showing 3400 fps max

READ 6MM (243)JUST DIFF CASE :wallbash:

i shoot the both john , mostly 204 the 6mm now again i think the barrel burnt out dont group like it did , geeting another hopefully 6mm ackly just waiting for a things to be sortted . :thumbs:

I see (sorry buddy, dense moment), your shooting a 204 & 6mmBR. I'm guess it could have burned the barrel, 3500 fps would be about average for a 6mm but it can be driven faster. Before you give up, give the rifle a good clean with KG1 and then KG2, shoot the rifle a bit more and scrub with KG2. It did wonders on my mates old .222, but I guess if the rifling is stripped right off, then it's a new barrel needed.

John

Edited by HUnter_zero

hi john its not a br its strait 6mm same ammo as 243 just a diff case , got a taperd barrel done all the cleaning but not getting their . ilike to have it grouping tight . so its going for the 6mm ackly , hope to get it gouing over the 4000fpc. . same people why and i say speed rules just my opioning. :thumbs:

hi john its not a br its strait 6mm same ammo as 243 just a diff case , got a taperd barrel done all the cleaning but not getting their . ilike to have it grouping tight . so its going for the 6mm ackly , hope to get it gouing over the 4000fpc. . same people why and i say speed rules just my opioning. :thumbs:

Had a bad day Saturday Derboy had THREE RUNNERS,a 12-1 a 5-2 and a 7-4 and they all came bloody third. :doh::bye:

stick to dog training you seem to have moore luck . :laugh:

Edited by DERBOY
  • 3 weeks later...

Went out last night after mr charlie. Had a few lamp shy ones to deal with so felt lucky with last nights weather being suitable. Lamped 3 fields before I came across number one! He was sat on top of the hedge(his usual trick)just watching my every step. Walked back behind the hedge and gave a little squeak. Didnt take much before he came down into the field and presented himself nicely for a chest shot with a decent backstop. 1 down, 1 to go..! About 3/4 hour later (and a few bunnies to the .22..) got the second one in the lamp. Red fliter on, keeping him in just enough light. Walked with the hedge until I was happy with backstop and then got the mono-pod ready. By now he was laying facing away from me allowing a shot to the back of his head/neck. opted for the neck shot. After shooting him, up he got an scampered to and through the hedge..gone!

Didnt spend too much time searching as it was already 2am 'ish'..!

Anyone else had many runners shooting with .223 using PRVI ammo?! read in R.B's book that he's had some run up to 250yrds......!?

Greetings from Downunder,

Sounds to me you are a careful hunter.You waited until both foxes had a decent backstop and obviously took care with this consideration.I would consider a neck shot in the higher area a humane placement.

You questioned that Privi ammo.In my experience it is very hard and probably works more like a solid on a fox esp. if a bone ie shoulder is not hit.Remmington is also hard in my experience but ok on bigger game like deer in NZ if you place your shot.Many of our cullers loved the 222 on deer and shot thousands humanely but they knew their stuff and their limits.The Rem. 55gns were a bit hard on goats so I dropped to 50 gnrs in 222 and 223 and were fine.However a goat is much bigger than a fox.The Hornady spire points open positively but don't bustapart as they have a connilure groove.The 50 gn in 223 should be fine if you guys can load your own.There are good selections of projectiles but loaded ammo can be limited.In my experience European ammo can be on the very hard side.

I am a great fan of the Hornady spire pts and have used them in .303,6.5x55,.308,7mm Mauser,7.62 x 39 and the smaller cals.They open quickly and work when many others don't.

It's not the calible you use it's the projectile that does the job.

Best Wishes Toni.