Whippets and hares

give your whippets time to mature and dont get them sour on hares because they are to young to catch.

then you will catch your share. I have a friend down near Canberra and her whippets do well on all fast game. I have a couple of stags that do well on hare but they miss some to. my ridgeback loves to chace them but does not have the speed so he hunts by sight when he is close and by nose when he is not some of his chaces can last an hour.

Steve mac

Edited by stevemac

hi there thanks for the replies and for starters i never intended to run down hares i went for bunnies as my bitch has started to pick them up and they were a lot of hares around i normally take her out for a run with my pups so that she gets fit thats all i was trying to do mabye i will wait a little longer on hares but i just want to let you guys know that at 8 months she caught a half grown hare but it was under the lamp thanks again And i live in werribee ,victoria, australia any body else in this area with running dogs if so PM me

PS This pic of missy was at 7months old :icon_eek:

hi there thanks for the replies and for starters i never intended to run down hares i went for bunnies as my bitch has started to pick them up and they were a lot of hares around i normally take her out for a run with my pups so that she gets fit thats all i was trying to do mabye i will wait a little longer on hares but i just want to let you guys know that at 8 months she caught a half grown hare but it was under the lamp thanks again And i live in werribee ,victoria, australia any body else in this area with running dogs if so PM me

PS This pic of missy was at 7months old :icon_eek:

is that a pure whippet or has it got some greyhound in it?

its a real nice type, long back , and its back looks flatter :good: . also nice and fat as a pup should be at that age.

yes a real credit to ya . lovly looking pup TOMO :)

I worked whippets in the 60`s, not too good for hares, my father ran whippets when they were 14lb in weight and no good what so ever for hares, modern whippets will never be a 100 hare in their carear type dog, like a previous post said, 'get a saluki lurcher for the fens', and a deerhound lurcher for everywhere else, but you will get some great sport from whippets on hares. if not numbers

From what i am hearing it sounds like whippets lack stamina to be good hare dogs? correct me if i'm wrong. I can't see size or speed being an issue with my two dogs as they are quite a good size at 20 inches compared to alot of other whippets i have seen, particularly some bitches are much smaller and they sure can put on the speed when they have to. Hopefully i will account for a few with the two dogs otherwise it will be good sport like you said and the hares will have fun getting away, lol. The hares in my area will be nice and fit :) I like the idea of daytime haring. I know i could always catch some on the lamp.