GREYHOUND/DEERHOUND X

HELLO

THINKING OF GETTING GREY/DEER X.....IVE NEVER HAD A DOG WITH DEERHOUND IN IT BEFORE I CAN IMAGINE THEY ARE GOOD ON FOX BUT WHAT ABOUT LAMPING RABBITS? ALSO WHAT ABOUT AGILITY AND STAMINA ETC

ANY FEED BACK WOULD BE A GOOD HELP LADS,,LOOKING FOREWARD TO HEARING YOUR VIEWS

SCOTTY

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello, I have one the deerhound is ways back, It is half grey/ half canadian stag hound( why give the yanks credit) the stag hounds that I have are very similar to deer hounds, any ways the dog is smart, fast and agile. Probable not a consistant hare dog but will kill fox like they are kittens. He will be a coyote hound one day after he matchers a little more. He is very physical and does not injure easy. he is almost a year. and the only one of that model that I have. I have straight stags and they are not so fast but gritty.

Guest oldskool

this is molly... her dad was a deerhound/grey x collie/grey and her mum was a track grey... i have had better dogs but she does take fox well and i catch a few hares with her too... as for rabbits she aint too hot!!! she doesnt like the hedges much and she has the hateful habit of stalking squatters, lol its sore on the battery juice... she is over 2 years old and 26"tts, i get good sport out of her! i think if i was ever to breed her i would cross her with a 3/4 grey 1/4 wheton or something like that.... a bit of terrier blood is missing IMO??

Here is my dog Sire is GREY/DEERXSALUKI Dam Grey/DeerXWhippet. He is 15 months old 27" @ the shoulder and last time i weighed him he was 28 kilos(60lbs) He has been on the lamp a couple of times and has no problems catching rabbits,He isnt so hot in the daytime on them on short runs. Once he gets into his stride on the bigger stuff, lets say he is getting there :D Pleased with his progress so far considering he is still a pup

MUTTS028.jpg

MUTTS026.jpg

HELLO

THINKING OF GETTING GREY/DEER X.....IVE NEVER HAD A DOG WITH DEERHOUND IN IT BEFORE I CAN IMAGINE THEY ARE GOOD ON FOX BUT WHAT ABOUT LAMPING RABBITS? ALSO WHAT ABOUT AGILITY AND STAMINA ETC

ANY FEED BACK WOULD BE A GOOD HELP LADS,,LOOKING FOREWARD TO HEARING YOUR VIEWS

SCOTTY

:thumbs-up: mines deerhound sire greyhound and tiny bit of bull way way back dam.

65lb and 28''.Loads of stamina,always eager and willing onto anything.Train em when theyre pups and theyre good for any game .also really obedient .

i have a 3/4 deerhound 1/4 grey out of docherty/arkinglass and he's just over 3 years old,i found him really slow on coming on,it wasn't until he was 2 years old when he started picking rabbits up,but now he knows what he's there for and has never looked back.

ive had saluki X's for many years but i have always liked the deerhound X deep down and probably would'nt be with out one for an all round type of dog,my dog is 29in and lacks the early pace but when he opens up he can keep up with my saluki x's on a run up

Edited by marco
Guest oldskool

my word, he is a nice one :drink: ... hope you have him jumping lol... i wouldnt like to be carryin him over a fence... if you were over here would he take fox??? whats your opinion on them being slow to mature??? the sire of molly was a deerhound/collie/grey and he was a nightmare till he was about 2 or slightly over!! the reason i asked is that there was someone else saying his deerhound crosses were all ready at just over a year old and that the reputation for being slow to mature was nonsense!!

I love Deerhound crosses: loyal, sensible, tough as old boots (once they have grown up), terrific hunters, BUT, their size does put them at a disadvantage if your'e after an out and out rabbit dog. My old first cross was great on rabbits for her size, but in all honesty, a much smaller dog does the business on small prey far better: after all, it doesn't have to reach down so far as a big dog, and they can turn far quicker and tighter too. I'd still love another one though: great temperaments for the most part, and most are very game.

Guest Nightwalker
my word, he is a nice one :drink: ... hope you have him jumping lol... i wouldnt like to be carryin him over a fence... if you were over here would he take fox??? whats your opinion on them being slow to mature??? the sire of molly was a deerhound/collie/grey and he was a nightmare till he was about 2 or slightly over!! the reason i asked is that there was someone else saying his deerhound crosses were all ready at just over a year old and that the reputation for being slow to mature was nonsense!!

It is nonsense, there were several of us on here saying that in those far off pre-ban days, our deerhound crosses all killed large quarry before they were 12 months old. A lot depends on upbringing, if you don't put the effort in, feed the dog properly, exercise it properly and get the dog out and about with you from an early age and allow it to chase and to learn then both you and the dog will be poorer for it. These dogs are capable of becoming superb all round hunters and devastating on large game but most people seem to have have no idea how to bring a dog up to maximise it's potential.

There are a small band of people about who consistently get good results with all sorts of dogs but there are lots of inexperienced people on here who overgeneralise from very limited experience and also, sadly, huge numbers of people who have mediocre dog after mediocre dog and always blame the dogs rather than look closer to home for the explanation of their serial mediocrity. Which type of dog man you want to be and which type of dogman do you want to listen to?

If Scotty scrolls back through the archives he will find lots of information about deerhound crosses without deerhound enthusiasts like me having to repost things we have said at length in the past - the thread called 'deerhound pup' currently on page 9 of the 'Running dogs and hounds' archive (see buttons at near the bottom left of screen on the front page of the 'Running dogs and hounds' forum ) would be a good place to start. They will do as well as most on small game but really excel on large game

Edited by Nightwalker

It is nonsense, there were several of us on here saying that in those far off pre-ban days, our deerhound crosses all killed large quarry before they were 12 months old. A lot depends on upbringing, if you don't put the effort in, feed the dog properly, exercise it properly and get the dog out and about with you from an early age and allow it to chase and to learn then both you and the dog will be poorer for it. These dogs are capable of becoming superb all round hunters and devastating on large game but most people seem to have have no idea how to bring a dog up to maximise it's potential.

There are a small band of people about who consistently get good results with all sorts of dogs but there are lots of inexperienced people on here who overgeneralise from very limited experience and also, sadly, huge numbers of people who have mediocre dog after mediocre dog and always blame the dogs rather than look closer to home for the explanation of their serial mediocrity. Which type of dog man you want to be and which type of dogman do you want to listen to?

If Scotty scrolls back through the archives he will find lots of information about deerhound crosses without deerhound enthusiasts like me having to repost things we have said at length in the past - the thread called 'deerhound pup' currently on page 9 of the 'Running dogs and hounds' archive (see buttons at near the bottom left of screen on the front page of the 'Running dogs and hounds' forum ) would be a good place to start. They will do as well as most on small game but really excel on large game

i dont quiet know who your refering to mate but as you said about up bringing and taking the dog out and about with you at an early age and allow it to chase and learn makes sense but i did everyday twice a day with my deerhound X and actually fetched him up with a saluki X both from the age of 13 weeks,both seeing rabbits on a daily basis,as they were both growing up together the saluki X seemed to be much keener and by the time they were 12 months old the saluki X was picking rabbits up on peace but the deerhound X wasn't really interested at this piont,im not compairing the two X's by no means but just giving you an example of the same up bringing same feed and same exercise but i stuck at him as many people probably wouldn't of, he was two years old when he killed his first rabbit i know that they aren't bred far rabbits but what i mean is that he used to chase them from 18 months but with no killer instinct,he just stayed 10 yards behind them until they ran to cover,the frustrating part was that i had to praise him for doing that,anyway 6 months later something just clicked and he wanted them you could see him droping a cog on the strike and actually chucking his weight about and even rolling over on some occasions on the pick up,i couldn't say why he was slower on coming on because he had the same up bringing as its kennel mate but all i can say now is that i'm pleased i stuck with him,oldskool i hope that answers your question aswell mate :good:

I,ve got a deer/grey x deer/grey from platts.The dog was still growing at 18 months old, and still had growth plates at 14 months, you run a dog hard on soft immature bones and youre going to damage it.

Guest oldskool
I,ve got a deer/grey x deer/grey from platts.The dog was still growing at 18 months old, and still had growth plates at 14 months, you run a dog hard on soft immature bones and youre going to damage it.

i would agree with that baldie... my bitch is only part deer and she grew an extra inch or 2 between 14 months and 17months... she did take her first fox at 14months (accidently) but she was still a bit of a puppy!! in reply to nightwalker, nobody is really talking about mediocre dogs, if yours are doin the bizz for you at a year old and your happy then fair fecks to you :victory::) ... i havent had many deerhound crosses so i was just curious as to what the majorities thought were on it :hmm:

Nightman has a great deal more experience than me, i,m a messer when it comes to dogs.He has enough experience to be able to tell when a pup is ready, i dont, so i always play it safe, regarding entering, but i will say, i,ve not had one jack, or fail to work, because i,ve held off a while.This is just my own experience, and its worked for me, every animal is different isnt it?