parson type russels in ireland

The Dooners do indeed hunt their terriers,and i know that they hunt with them in England, but i could not tell you where at or with who and they are indeed better known as a show kennel. My terriers are of the jappatin bloodline but i only do a wee bit of ratting sometimes, ( to old,to fat and the knees have gone !)the dogs they breed are smaller neater type than the normal leggy shit you see in the kc show ring,

i used to have one of the leggy shit ones. worked well he did. 15 inches tts :thumbs:

found some pics :thumbs:

post-2078-0-07386100-1295187227_thumb.jpg

post-2078-0-16285700-1295187371_thumb.jpg

post-2078-0-12714300-1295187410_thumb.jpg

Is that a dog from the Howlbeck kennel

the dog is howlbeck breeding :thumbs: out of piper.

this is his dam

post-2078-0-10762300-1295383323_thumb.jpg

Thats a lovely strong lookin bitch.Just the type i like.

cheers i only had her a short time. my old russell bitch took a dislike to her. so it was last in first out. she went to a friend and i got a pup off her (Trusty) she was lined with piper. and as far as i know the whole litter worked. :thumbs:

i have pics of them somewhere. ill dig em out :thumbs:

Would love to see them mate, cheers

the head study is trusty's sister. owned by the lad that took gale. he bred the litter

he also kept the smooth dog in the second pic and his mate kept the bitch in that pic.

post-2078-0-28412000-1295720891_thumb.jpg

post-2078-0-92062800-1295721083_thumb.jpg

Trusty's sister looks a strong bitch mate, any close ups of the other two ?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is an interesting thread. At least no mad personal issues being thrashed out in public so far. I have quoted this post simply because it has to be one of the easiest questions to answer ever to h

found some pics      

i wasnt in the best mood when i wrote that, it is true to a larger extent than most will admit, (or turn a blind eye to) there are plenty of good breeders out there, if i was buying a pup id want refe

Posted Images

The Dooners do indeed hunt their terriers,and i know that they hunt with them in England, but i could not tell you where at or with who and they are indeed better known as a show kennel. My terriers are of the jappatin bloodline but i only do a wee bit of ratting sometimes, ( to old,to fat and the knees have gone !)the dogs they breed are smaller neater type than the normal leggy shit you see in the kc show ring,

i used to have one of the leggy shit ones. worked well he did. 15 inches tts :thumbs:

The show standard for parson russell terriers is 14ins tts, most of them look more around 17-18ins tts and very long.

i thought it was the 3,,,14's

ttW, span and the back ohmy.gifbiggrin.gif

Yes your right there mate 3 14s :thumbs:

bit off topic as they are in the uk not ireland but does anyone know if the heythrop kennels or the alncroft kennels (alne) have produced any decent digging parson russels? i know they are both well known KC prizewinning show kennels and a few years ago before i got into hunting i nearly bought a pup out of foxglove and rockin robin

Yeap, they work alright, my little bitch has alncroft breeding and shes a little rocket, not big like most parsons, but a cracking nose on her, she just lives to hunt - mad for it.

bit off topic as they are in the uk not ireland but does anyone know if the heythrop kennels or the alncroft kennels (alne) have produced any decent digging parson russels? i know they are both well known KC prizewinning show kennels and a few years ago before i got into hunting i nearly bought a pup out of foxglove and rockin robin

Yeap, they work alright, my little bitch has alncroft breeding and shes a little rocket, not big like most parsons, but a cracking nose on her, she just lives to hunt - mad for it.

any pics?

would be nice to see thumbs.gif

any pics?

would be nice to see thumbs.gif

I've got loads of photos, just car'nt seem to bloody resize them to be able to post them, anyone know of anything I can do, only got windows 7 on me computer?

any pics?

would be nice to see :thumbs:

I've got loads of photos, just car'nt seem to bloody resize them to be able to post them, anyone know of anything I can do, only got windows 7 on me computer?

you can always post them on to www.imgur.com and then simply post the link! :thumbs:

• 6 years later...

Lislea Vixen is Janine Dooner and she has never worked her terriers they are a show Kennel pure and simple.

Nita, Are there Parsons working in Ireland. I have not heard of a line but would like to know.

I only put the dogs pics up to let folk see what is in effect a bitch bred for work and a show bred dog. I'm not getting into arguments about what is a working dog and what isn't, I don't dig with my terriers, I use them for cover work. But without dedicated breeders who know what they are doing, breeds like the pure parson will cease to exist. Just take a look at some of the specimens of all types of terriers you see at working shows, shaved coats, no bone or substance to them, some look like they need a good feeding up. How could dogs like that ever survive the vigours of a seasons work?

This thread was started by an enquiry about the Jappatin kennel of parson russells. From what I know of this kennel they show and work their dogs. what defines work, or show for that matter, is a matter for individual interpretation.

No offence intended to anyone who has posted!!

Most dedicated breeders of parsons haven't got a clue about working terriers. There are plenty who think they do but from 1st hand experience they are clueless. Incidentally what do you class as a pure parson seeing as you put up a picture of a Howlbeck bred dog? Can I ask again who is he? and are you in Ireland? pm if preferred

Thats a real good question ( whats a pure bred parson ?) what do you think would be classed as pure bred ?

This is an interesting thread. At least no mad personal issues being thrashed out in public so far. I have quoted this post simply because it has to be one of the easiest questions to answer ever to have been asked on THL. The Parson Russell Terrier is a KC registered breed and therefore the only animal that can be regarded as a pure bred Parson is one from the resulting mating between a KC reg dog and KC reg bitch. Surely ? Until the end of time it must be so. A more interesting question may be what exactly was in the make up of those animals that were accepted by the KC in 1989 ?

Once again an easy question to answer in some people's minds. KC registration was needed to preserve the breed. The foundation stock were the direct descendants from Parson John Russell's very own fox terries via Heinemann etc. If this was true then the breed must have survived for at least 150 year prior to 1989 so what was the point of getting KC recognition anyway ? If they had survived for long without it ? Oh yes, all hunting with dogs was about to be made illegal and KC recognition would be the only way of preserving these terriers. As a shallow vessel of it's former self maybe ?

I have never owned a KC registered Parson but count myself lucky to have owned a type that would pass for one most of my life. I do not have a line and do not regard myself as a terrierman, I just like working terriers and those that look and work in the classic Russell way in particular.

• Like 3