just bought a lurcher :) training tips ?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dont even think about showing him land etc mate... lots of walking on the lead.. socialize him with other dogs in the park... Get him interested in a favourite toy, be it a ball, a sock... use it with

the advice you have been givin is all spot on,the only thing i would ad is just let it be pup

and so you did ,well if its been said twice then it must be good advice

Posted Images

Hi guys bought a 5 month old lurher ( whippet x bull x greyhound ) would like tips and any dvds or books you can sudgest that will help me ?

thanks

p.s here a pic of my pup :)

seen this pup advertised ithink.what a cracker.there is a dvd by dave sleight called purdys progress that may be of use to you.try to gradually crack sit and stay as imho this is the keystone to a well turned out dog. :thumbs: atb with the pup.mat

nice looking dog you got there mate,just let him be a pup,dont be to hasty.get him retrieving give him lots of praise.plenty interacting with ppl,makes it a lot easier in later life.plenty good books on the market and if in doubt just ask on here.atb with him :thumbs:

thats a nice looking pup,get his recall spot on sit and stay and when hes a bit older get out on the land hes going to work getting him used to it.Then when hes old enough put as much as you can infront of him.dont be in a rush to start him though oh and get him on a barf diet atb matt

Dont even think about showing him land etc mate... lots of walking on the lead.. socialize him with other dogs in the park... Get him interested in a favourite toy, be it a ball, a sock... use it with him what ever you do... hide it, find it, retrieve it, throw it.. Let him have it, you have it.. Dont put preasure on him, play with him.. keep him calm.. 1stly work on his basic mannors, sit, stay, come back..Awell mannored and behaved dog is half way to success in the feild... dont worry about jumping etc.. Theres plenty of time... You'll have some people telling you to give him a few simple runs on the lamp. They dont exsist at this stage of the season mate..At the start of next season he will still only be 13 or 14 months, thats when the easy slips come.. And if you have prepared the dog in the correct mannor, you have bonded and you are his best friend, the rest will come automatic.. Good luck, keep us posted. Atb Russ. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Dont even think about showing him land etc mate... lots of walking on the lead.. socialize him with other dogs in the park... Get him interested in a favourite toy, be it a ball, a sock... use it with him what ever you do... hide it, find it, retrieve it, throw it.. Let him have it, you have it.. Dont put preasure on him, play with him.. keep him calm.. 1stly work on his basic mannors, sit, stay, come back..Awell mannored and behaved dog is half way to success in the feild... dont worry about jumping etc.. Theres plenty of time... You'll have some people telling you to give him a few simple runs on the lamp. They dont exsist at this stage of the season mate..At the start of next season he will still only be 13 or 14 months, thats when the easy slips come.. And if you have prepared the dog in the correct mannor, you have bonded and you are his best friend, the rest will come automatic.. Good luck, keep us posted. Atb Russ. :thumbs:

All good advice R F Y L the only thing I would add is be consistent with everything you do, don't chastise your dog minute and let it get away with something the next because you can't be arsed! Same goes for the praise you give!

If your having a bad day and your dog is not doing quite what you would like it to, it is easy to lose your rag. Don't! You have to be in the right frame of mind as well. Just go home or take it away from that particular situation and always end any bit of training you do on a good note. This has been the best piece of advice that I was given, my pup is coming on a treat. All be it, it is my first dog ever and I have no right to give advice! But it works for me and hope it does for you.

Good luck and its a nice looking pup in all!

Sniffer

When my pup was 9 or 10 mths old i took him out over the fields all the time not working him but getting him used to sights and smells breaking him to stock ,ive found it to be time well spent atb matt

:thumbs:

Hi guys bought a 5 month old lurher ( whippet x bull x greyhound ) would like tips and any dvds or books you can sudgest that will help me ?

thanks

p.s here a pic of my pup :)

nice pup mate should make a graet dog only live down the road from you if you want a night out with me later on when the pup is a bit older to bring it on anyway hope all goes well for you just let it be a pup for now no pressure on it atb

:thumbs:

chris

When my pup was 9 or 10 mths old i took him out over the fields all the time not working him but getting him used to sights and smells breaking him to stock ,ive found it to be time well spent atb matt

yeah so did i mate. The pup is only 5mths old. It will have been alive twice as long when it gets to the age you mentioned... :thumbs: