using thier mouth.

just been out with my sapling lurcher again.she is coming up 15 months old now.shes fit,very well fed,obedient,cracking looking and has a lovely temperament......BUT.i started her on the lamp when she was 11 months.the land i was on was a gift for pups..overgrown grass and littered with rabbits that just were not at all nervous.i would only take her out till she caught.normally this didnt take long cos the rabbits were tripping over the thick grass.i slowly upped her catch letting her get a few more each outing still being carefull to finish at the right point.she acounted for a good 50 rabbits.after this big freeze though with all the grass died right back shes just not catching.im being fussy with my slips ie,two of the slips tonight were at least a hundred yards from any escape.she doesent lack speed so im thinking "hoping"its just a matter of getting used to picking them up.i know shes still young but she really should be nailing some of these rabbits.dont know wether to keep giving her an hour lamping two or three times a week or give her a break....how do you stop frustrating the dog and still take work her. :wallbash: .has any of you had youngsters like this that made good?.regards mat.

my pup was getting good before the freeze and now he seems well behind again, i think its just the break in the middle of learning, just hoping he comes good again, he is my first lurcher so cant offer much advice, 'anyone else????' just keep at it mate. best of luck

my bitch that am working now was very much the same last year, i was running her on easy bunnys that she was nailing, , frost and a lay up then she didnt have much heart, so she was left on the lead and let her watch her mum work, sometimes doubled her up at end of the night, now she the best bitch in my kennels, :thumbs:

:thumbs: .

my bitch that am working now was very much the same last year, i was running her on easy bunnys that she was nailing, , frost and a lay up then she didnt have much heart, so she was left on the lead and let her watch her mum work, sometimes doubled her up at end of the night, now she the best bitch in my kennels, :thumbs:

cheers.i think she really does need to go out with another dog.a mate is coming over with his dogs tomarow night so ill see if it perks her up.thanks for reply.atb.mat

i tottaly agree with other lads advice just take dog out with older dog and wait till you nearly finished for the night and give her a couple ov easy rabbits to boost dogs confidence . dont rush dog back to long slips there will be plenty ov time mate i assure you atb

People talk about the learning curve: I've found that learning is more in steep jumps, then a plateau where you don't seem to make much progress, then another jump forward. IMO dogs are similar: however, some dogs are more easily put off than others: more sensitive, not quite such a strong prey drive: it is these dogs which you need to bring on very carefully and slowly, trying to get them easy as possible catches. Once their confidence is really strong then you can put them on longer slips, harder quarry etc like has already been said. Some dogs just don't have enough heart though: I once struggled with one for nearly two years before finally admitting it didn't have the heart or drive: made a lovely pet. They can't all be world beaters!

some good advice thier people.thanks for your replys.going to take her out with another dog tomarow.till now she has worked alone.atb.mat.

Heyup Matt,, has she been running the bigger stuff mate ?,, this sometimes knocks them off the bunnies.

As the other lads have said she maybe just needs another dog there to kick her up a notch mate,, makes a big differance if another dog is present in some cases,, it can deffo click a switch if a dogs always been ran solo.

My coursing friend who runs his own line bred salukixlurchers sometimes if he thinks a dog is running a tad lazy or not upping the gear to strike when it is good to do so,which does happen in all breeds, he will slip another in on the run too basically give it a kick up the arse and get it to up the anti,, only takes a few runs doubled up like this and the dog starts pulling its weight again as its been tricked into competing with the other dog aswell as the quarry.

I reckon bess will be backflipping on the slip lead when shes sees another dog on the case,, all the best fella,,:thumbs: .

p.s are you working her from the slip or free mate ?

give her shorter slips and then gradually go back to longer slips

these are right under my feet. :thumbs:

as been said out with an older dog or even any age of other dog as if yours is a competitive type then it might spurr her on to try harder

i'm sure you will have a couple of things to try with her and all the best with her

hope she comes good again for you

john :thumbs:

TAKE IT YOU HAVE HAD THE DOG CHECKED 4 INJURY???MAYBE YOUR DOG HAS JUST WENT STALE & OFF IT`S RUNNING, IT HAPPENS 2 A LOT OF 1ST YEAR DOGS, BUT MOST OF THE MUG RABBITS SHOULD BE GONE BY NOW & IT DOESNT MATTER WHETHER SHE HAS THE SPEED OR NOT, ITS WHETHER YOUR DOG RECKONS IT CAN CATCH THEM OR NOT.IVE SEEN MANY 1st YR DOGS LOOK GOOD EARLY ON THEN LOOK ORDINARY WHEN THE GAME GOES UP A GEAR. DOGS ARE INDIVIDUALS & THERE IS NO UNIVERSAL LEARNING CURVE.. I WOULD LEAVE HER OFF FOR A BIT & BRING HER BACK WHEN THE RABBITS ARE DOWN A BIT. PERHAPS YOUR DOG JUST LACKS CONFIDENCE OR IT MAY BE IT SIMPLY WONT MAKE THE GRADE FOR YOU, BUT IF YOU KEEP RUNNING JUST NOW & SHE KEEPS MISSING THE OUTCOME WONT BE A HAPPY ONE. THE 1 THING THAT MAKES ANY DOG IS SUCCESS & GETTING FUR IN ITS MOUTH. SOUNDS 2 ME LIKE YOU HAVE PUT A LOT OF TIME IN2 REARING YOUR DOG SO GIVING IT A BIT OF A LAY OFF CANT HURT...ATB,:thumbs:

:thumbs:

TAKE IT YOU HAVE HAD THE DOG CHECKED 4 INJURY???MAYBE YOUR DOG HAS JUST WENT STALE & OFF IT`S RUNNING, IT HAPPENS 2 A LOT OF 1ST YEAR DOGS, BUT MOST OF THE MUG RABBITS SHOULD BE GONE BY NOW & IT DOESNT MATTER WHETHER SHE HAS THE SPEED OR NOT, ITS WHETHER YOUR DOG RECKONS IT CAN CATCH THEM OR NOT.IVE SEEN MANY 1st YR DOGS LOOK GOOD EARLY ON THEN LOOK ORDINARY WHEN THE GAME GOES UP A GEAR. DOGS ARE INDIVIDUALS & THERE IS NO UNIVERSAL LEARNING CURVE.. I WOULD LEAVE HER OFF FOR A BIT & BRING HER BACK WHEN THE RABBITS ARE DOWN A BIT. PERHAPS YOUR DOG JUST LACKS CONFIDENCE OR IT MAY BE IT SIMPLY WONT MAKE THE GRADE FOR YOU, BUT IF YOU KEEP RUNNING JUST NOW & SHE KEEPS MISSING THE OUTCOME WONT BE A HAPPY ONE. THE 1 THING THAT MAKES ANY DOG IS SUCCESS & GETTING FUR IN ITS MOUTH. SOUNDS 2 ME LIKE YOU HAVE PUT A LOT OF TIME IN2 REARING YOUR DOG SO GIVING IT A BIT OF A LAY OFF CANT HURT...ATB,:thumbs:

There speaks a man of wisdom. here here.... :thumbs:

• Like 1

some good advice thier people.thanks for your replys.going to take her out with another dog tomarow.till now she has worked alone.atb.mat.

Heyup Matt,, has she been running the bigger stuff mate ?,, this sometimes knocks them off the bunnies.

As the other lads have said she maybe just needs another dog there to kick her up a notch mate,, makes a big differance if another dog is present in some cases,, it can deffo click a switch if a dogs always been ran solo.

My coursing friend who runs his own line bred salukixlurchers sometimes if he thinks a dog is running a tad lazy or not upping the gear to strike when it is good to do so,which does happen in all breeds, he will slip another in on the run too basically give it a kick up the arse and get it to up the anti,, only takes a few runs doubled up like this and the dog starts pulling its weight again as its been tricked into competing with the other dog aswell as the quarry.

I reckon bess will be backflipping on the slip lead when shes sees another dog on the case,, all the best fella,,:thumbs: .

p.s are you working her from the slip or free mate ?

hello mate hows things.i have not been running the bigger stuff with bess.just that one accident on the beating line that she decided to wrestle.atb.mat.