scope inacurrate

I have just gotten an new hawke sr 12 scope .I have tested it a bit .It seems to make my pcp air gun shoot right at 13 yards left at 25 and 50 yards and right at 65 yards .Has any one else had this happen .I have had a few scopes over the years and never had this happen before .Any advice will help.

ive had trouble with my R10 shooting 6" to left the day after ive just set the sights up, set it up again, same problem shoots to left, and again and again,thought it was cos i just had my shroud shortend? but gun shop seems to think it could be my HAWKE SCOPES.only had them 2mths, he said theres loads of cheap japanese copys about, ill let you kno the outcome when hes done some tests?

Edited by pipa

PIPA....... I am guessing just thinking I havent got the range to try I have to go to my mates farm 100 miles away .So I feel it my be possible to correct the longer range errors by zeroing at a longer range say 35 yards and correct the 65 yard error by rotating the scope a little .and put up with the closer range inaccuraces and ajust shooting .not having the range time and pellets right now .may be someone else knows.

Sorry, but this can't be a scope issue (other than the scope not being vertical on the rifle). The most likely problem is a UNFG error. Basically the soggy organic bit on the end of the rifle isn't aiming in the same place. Could be down to paralax, or just not quite getting everything lined up properly.

It is not possible for a scope to cause you to be to the left at one distance, and then to the right further out, unless it is grossly out of alignment with the barrel. Even then, the errors you're giving, at the distances you quote, would mean that the error was readily noticeable!

Have you got a local gunsmith with a laser collimator/bore sight? If so, fire it up and then walk back and forward towards a wall, watching the scope sight picture. If the dot moves from side to side at all, then you have a BIG mounting problem. Either something is bent, or the scope mounts are throwing the scope way off to the side of the barrel.

MATT...HOOKS .I have looked at the scope on the gun it is a bit to the right side of gun more than the left .by a few mm .but straight in line with barrel.if allow for this .and mess with the scopes vertical line I may have some sucsess .This is if it as you say not possible for the scope to be out.This is nice to know .

HALA MOROSE I have not taken to many long shots to do this i have to go to my friends .At 13 and 25 yards [with no wind ]I have taken a lot of shots all the pellets are in the same holes .At 13 yards a few mm right at 25 yards a few mm high left .I have to fix the problem at close range first. The long shots were taken quickly with failing light to get an idea of what was happerning.So what i beive to be happerning at 50 and 65 may not be that correct .

ive had trouble with my R10 shooting 6" to left the day after ive just set the sights up, set it up again, same problem shoots to left, and again and again,thought it was cos i just had my shroud shortend? but gun shop seems to think it could be my HAWKE SCOPES.only had them 2mths, he said theres loads of cheap japanese copys about, ill let you kno the outcome when hes done some tests?

Did the gun shop do the work on the gun if so i would suspect that its not the sights , get a lend of some different scopes and see what happens . :thumbs:

Did the gun shop do the work on the gun if so i would suspect that its not the sights , get a lend of some different scopes and see what happens . :thumbs:

yeah had it checked out, lol the front scope mounts was loose?? little things you forget to check hey, lol duh!!! felt a right tw*t!

Edited by pipa

OK shot air gun at 13 and 25 yards .put different mounts different hights with scope just on the left or right side of gun by a fraction .[Which all but the very best fitted mounts will only remove] .The gun always shots 5mm to the left at 25 yards .I will try at a longer range next week to see if the inaccurace can be lived with.I fell the problem has to be the the front lense of the scope that has to be turned for different ranges .I could be wrong but i dont think I am . Any comments wellcome.

Please feel free to disregard this, but as we don't know how much experience or knowledge you have...

Have you tried centreing the shot using the turrets? (what's called zeroing the scope)

To the people with experience it sounds obvious, but someone new to the game might not know about it.

There's a good guide by Si Pittaway (Zini) on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Zinaroon#p/u/61/4VNtmmNTGmE

OK shot air gun at 13 and 25 yards .put different mounts different hights with scope just on the left or right side of gun by a fraction .[Which all but the very best fitted mounts will only remove] .The gun always shots 5mm to the left at 25 yards .I will try at a longer range next week to see if the inaccurace can be lived with.I fell the problem has to be the the front lense of the scope that has to be turned for different ranges .I could be wrong but i dont think I am . Any comments wellcome.

if your saying its a front paralex scope, Im thinking these are used for larger rifles, ie rimfire, as the lowest setting is normally around 25/30yds, maybe thats your problem, I too tried putting to large a scope on an air rifle once, and had simular problems that your having, why not try a different scope, say a simple 3-9 x 40 if that zero's ok, then its definatly your scope at fault

I use a 3-9x40 on my rimfire, shooting out to 100yds and its fine, no need for bigger mag