lurchers and coyotes

Im not sure if this is just a wind up, or if people are really as retarded as it seems.

Yes, its possible for a lurcher to catch an occasional coyote, and some will even be able to kill one, but FAR more wont catch or kill one. A coyote is not killing and dragging 70lb dogs over fences. They can and will hamstring many 70lb dogs, but they are not the big bad wolf. A wolf will treat a 70lb dog like a rabbit. If folks believe a coyote is just a big fox they have never encountered one, and probably still believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus... :doh:

Take care.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So you only have any interest in things which could directly affect your life? Thats pretty f*****g sad mate.

It's very possible. I can think of a few dogs right now that I believe could do it. A coyote is not a "killer" really. They just want to get away for the most part so dont believe these hand jobs o

I know what your'e saying dwolf: shooting something from a very safe distance when the animal doesn't even know you are there seems low down and cheating. I know that in cases of pest control it is o

Posted Images

Im not sure if this is just a wind up, or if people are really as retarded as it seems.

Yes, its possible for a lurcher to catch an occasional coyote, and some will even be able to kill one, but FAR more wont catch or kill one. A coyote is not killing and dragging 70lb dogs over fences. They can and will hamstring many 70lb dogs, but they are not the big bad wolf. A wolf will treat a 70lb dog like a rabbit. If folks believe a coyote is just a big fox they have never encountered one, and probably still believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus... :doh:

Take care.

Uphill waddya mean "still believe" :laugh:

Dan anytime ya get the urge to talk about mary-liz gimme a shout :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Take care.

Uphill waddya mean "still believe" :laugh:

Dan anytime ya get the urge to talk about mary-liz gimme a shout :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good read guys . I thought i'd share these because i had em & thought you might enjoy.

The 1st one is from ny state pred club, i believe...

The 2nd, a friend fwd from somebody in idaho during their season. Seems somewhat cheesy doing it w/out dogs doesn't it? lol.

Wow, ooh, mammal w/700x brain capacity launches bullet 1.3 miles to unsuspecting creature. OOh, tough guy, lol. But, i guess losing 10 dogs every course...

It seemed fitting for the forum since most dogs came from whence, lol. Awesome, eh...yours in wine,

cheers,

untitledwolfoncoyotewestnystclub.jpg

image002salmonidaho.jpg

Edited by dwolf

I know what your'e saying dwolf: shooting something from a very safe distance when the animal doesn't even know you are there seems low down and cheating. I know that in cases of pest control it is often the only way, but as far as sport is concerned........well, it isn't sport at all.

And I've never understood why someone would want to hug a dead wolf or any other animal and pose for the camera: plain weird in my book.

• Like 1

I know what your'e saying dwolf: shooting something from a very safe distance when the animal doesn't even know you are there seems low down and cheating. I know that in cases of pest control it is often the only way, but as far as sport is concerned........well, it isn't sport at all.

And I've never understood why someone would want to hug a dead wolf or any other animal and pose for the camera: plain weird in my book.

well its not as if you can hold the big f*cker by its back leg like a rabbit is it atb biza

good shooting ..

my best shot was 3/4 mile running coyote.

22-250

we seen only 2 large wolves here in 30 years not as big as that monster.and they ran from the dogs.two together ,

good thing the dogs were chasing a bush wolf,the wolves disappeared and we never seen them again .and we hunt almost every day in the winter .at least our gang does //

my wife is ill and i am giving her all my time this year .. first year off from hunting .SO now i am a internet ,,want tobe hunting computer chair hunter hasbeen .and did it

lol with tears

tom

Edited by thomas h

good shooting ..

my best shot was 3/4 mile running coyote.

22-250

we seen only 2 large wolves here in 30 years not as big as that monster.and they ran from the dogs.two together ,

good thing the dogs were chasing a bush wolf,the wolves disappeared and we never seen them again .and we hunt almost every day in the winter .at least our gang does //

my wife is ill and i am giving her all my time this year .. first year off from hunting .SO now i am a internet ,,want tobe hunting computer chair hunter hasbeen .and did it

lol with tears

tom

thomas-

good luck with your wife, our thoughts & prayers are with you. my sister in law just fought off the cancer plague w/a stage 3C prognosis, 4, they don't even treat you. Knock wood. Keep fighting & sending love, good on ya. You gotta be the tough one. you'd be a real wanker, out hunting & not being w/her. plus it's been interesting for us all hearing your experiences in another part of the world, particularly the great white north.

i'm in a better boat, knock wood, 2 new kids, new biz starting,(stuck on computer) & wifey not giving any time for release, ,lol. wouldn't trade it for the feckn world though. plus next yr, my son should be hardy enough for winters hikes ;) . heading up north next week, so you never know what'll pop up.

my bro snowmoblies Lake Nippissing every winter & a friends preserve on the quebec side. as soon as the wolves see something on the ice, i.e., ice fisherman on the preserve, the wolves appear, thinking you're deer, etc. talk about cold, whoa. their beers freeze in the truck constantly, & i see, that's why there is canadian club, lol. scotch for me...i used to fish algonquin pp every summer, now quebec, better smallies. absolutely beautiful up there, stunning. i'd love to see you guys pop out the yotes to lurchers. it's nearly impossible here w/out scenthounds or open space where you can drop them or call them. you almost never see them here either, just here them howling & see the carcasses. there only thick in the mt areas. never dead on the road either, too fn smart. i know a guy who runs them w/scenthounds in new hampshire( no roads for east ) & they chase them down thru the snow tunnels/deep trails which the deer & coyote travel.

how many shots w/the 22-250?

that's a great cartridge eh?

i'm weird that way, seems fine for a coyote, but cheap for a creature like that...but i don't think there is anything more sporting than dogs though. seems like the ultimate fair chase to me.

you know of anyone or heard of anyone who ever hunted wolves w/dogs up there?

cheers,

thanks .

ya cancer not sure what stage ''

all the greatest prayers to your sis in law

so interesting bud

5 shots total 3 on the first missed and the second shot hot the second bush wolf.falling block browning 18somthing copy.

but I shot many timess in 30 years .

My daughter named her son,, Hunter,,Ya I was that bad..lol

now we just chase with hounds dogs and use a shot gun ..ssg

and if they are sick with mange,, we keep putting fresh dogs as soon as we can.as it crosses the road ..

and kill it.. to stop the mange .

the best is when the dog can catch and keep them at bay .

soon the yote here will be in their heat,

thats when your hound chases and then stands beside the yote s..you see that in the feild ..plus some yote s will stop any way as they are not all scared of the dogs. they can be nasty.

Edited by thomas h

am i being stupid or is that wolf wearing a tracking collar??

funny, our turkeys from the usa had tracking collars ..some of them

just shoot one and and there is trouble coming..but now we have a season for hunting them

Also the wolves in algonquin park have collars .. they count everything ..sort of protected there

Edited by thomas h

Interesting thread with some interesting perspectives....may add some of my own later.

( sorry aaron, meant to reply to the collar ques.

here is the write up that accompanied the email,....not sure of validity, but a friend fwd it to me from last march. can't see much farce in it. salmon area is wild, remote & beautiful....

"Heidi Leavitt shot this wolf just outside their home down river at Spring Creek. Heidi was in the store and said that they have had a pack running around their place and decided when they heard them coming their way again, they would try and shoot one (she did have a tag). So next time came quickly and while waiting for the pack to get closer, they looked in the woods below them and there was this wolf. He weighted 127 lbs. He was a collared wolf and by the time they got it to Fish & Game (which is probably an 1.5 hr drive, Fish & Game already knew about the wolf and said they had been looking for him. He is now skinned and hanging at their place. The wolf pack had been terrorizing campers lately. Had a couple of guys treed in the cab of their pickup all night at Colson Creek campground. Not afraid of human campsites at all."

thomas, thank you & good luck from all.

nice. how long are the hound chases usually? w/the fresh dogs & w/out?

that falling block probably shoots sweet & flat.

cheers,

here was the other pic

image003salmonidaho.jpg

Edited by dwolf

The fact remains that those of use who live in countries where wolves are now extinct, probably have this wild and romantic image of these animals; an image fostered by countless wildlife programmes on TV. I guess I'd feel completely differently about them if they were killing my dogs or hanging around my home. There's always two sides to every story.

The fact remains that those of use who live in countries where wolves are now extinct, probably have this wild and romantic image of these animals; an image fostered by countless wildlife programmes on TV. I guess I'd feel completely differently about them if they were killing my dogs or hanging around my home. There's always two sides to every story.

it's real real contraversial here. when they originally released them, i believe there was to be a breeding quota & then a season was to be opened. good policy, because you could raise a lot of money for wild lands conservation by selling a few high dollar tags, plus outtfitters make $, etc. Win, win. Like africa where the trophy hunters in some cases fund a lot of the parks & wildlife conservation plans for the good of the whole ecosystem.

But, a lot of the seasons have been blocked etc. Supposedly killing a lot of dogs. Been great for the forests & trout though. they push the elk out of river bottoms where they destroy the aspen stands which shade the streams & stop erosion. i might not have believed the campground story, had i not heard the stories of the snowmobilers & ice fishermen in quebec...they don't go out icefishing in this preserve w/out guns...in summer you don't even worry about it, ...those winters are brutal. it would be interesting to know whether they really were around the car or just outside the campground awaiting a dog to eat? but, either way, doesn't sound like they were scared of humans, lol. the tagged one was probably half tame & was just awaiting a hand out it got used to, lol. There are a lot of jigglies over here who think hunting is driving a huge heated assault 4 wheeler to a heated tree stand higher than the towers & then spend all day on computer, glassing over 200 over browsed & over stuffed deer, & shoot one w/an electronic scope at 50 yds, lol. i'd never want to kill 1 though unless i had to, cheesy to me, unless of course dogs involved, lol. i've watched them for hours, a mother & cubs who had a den at a fishing lodges airstrip in manitoba, ( the owners loved it ). feckn cool as anything i've ever seen. the guy who owns that preserve in quebec doesn't allow anyone to kill them either, he loves them & is a big hunter. a few hunting seasons & i bet they regain most of their fear again. same w/black bears. never comfortable camping where there is no open season, they get too feckn bold...but at least w/dogs you can usually scare black bears...the j-offs in alaska shoot wolves from the air...how sporting...pin peckers who think they're tough...i guess better than trapping/poison though,..i'd like to see a season opened for dog hunting & coursing the wolves. Talk about a real sport,... lol.

Never hear of many fatalities though...but 2 coyotes killed a young folk singer in the maritimes last fall, 100 bites. I still wouldn't want to spend the night at that campground, lol.

cheers,

Edited by dwolf

its because they introduce them ..there are wild packs though.and when you live some where and these show up ne ....,.././

image introducing them to your countries ..

the hawk tries to eat my pigeons but the hawk sure is pretty to look at because it dodges by me at 15 feet..hawks potected as well.never have i thought of hurting it ..

thomas, thank you & good luck from all.

nice. how long are the hound chases usually? w/the fresh dogs & w/out?

that falling block probably shoots sweet & flat.

cheers,

hi ,, untill they loose the scent trail. we can chase all day or it could be dead within a few minutes .

bear hunting bluetick hounds and plotts will catch and try to kill it . you goto run to shot that yote ..

our dogs hunt deer and yotes now and the bear trained dogs have retired or are dead from old age ...

[[my purple ribbon bred Bluetick hound hunts yotes only]]

i wear snow camoflage.

we hunt all day sometimes we are in the dark picking up dogs .

WE BE OUT HUNTING IN A SNOWSTORM, nuts . and having a great time ..

if the hunters are late my bud bought my gun from me , we try to shot one quickly and then we joke with the guys that the first dog run is done ,,,even though we didnot use the dogs ,,

some times we shot one quickly and tell them that we shot it ,, that gets their blood boiling as they what to run the dogs ..well do not be late .

the legend gun is a legend here .. freeeflooted trigger perfect and ..

another buds gun is not flooted or anything and it only shots nice.its the bullet as well..

thomas

Edited by thomas h