Magpie and crow decoy

That's because there are tonnes of the little nest robbers over here Tony bud.

Wait till the warmer weather comes they are every where.

On a personal joke Tony, that's when the ironing board becomes busy. Lol, you know what I mean.

Shush.

Si

hi buddy

me and rossi_j have had some great results while decoying :thumbs:

we used 1 magpie and 2 crows plastic ones and a crow caller,also we smashed a egg by the crow decoys and loads of rooks seemed to come in,

the only thing i will say is its a waiting game and you can be there for a long time with out anything showing depends on the way you set them up and what flight path you give them.

your best bet is to go to your permission with out any rifles etc at different times to find out what trees they like and also when the feed,also find a nice hide and sit there and watch what they do i.e eat,fly in fly out,as already said a rabbit or squirrel cut open would be great I'm yet to try this but have been told with good results.

now when you are learning about there flight paths watch they way the fly in then watch the way they fly out then line your deeks up the way the arrive and leave,put the deeks at about 5-10 feet apart and use if after pigeons 8-15 and for crows pairs i find works best also if going for magpies i do them on there own or put them 30 feet apart and watch them start coming in.

hope this helps buddy and i found your English to be very good :thumbs:

atb Steve

Crows and pigeon decoys seem to work well together on both species mate, ie the crow and the pigeon.

Crows and magpies are not as good in my experience, but will work to a certain degree, as the crow seems to bully the magpie in nature so the magpie usually eats with other magpies and crows eat with other crows or pigeons.

What does work though is if you shoot a crow or a magpie and it lands on its back where both live magpies and crows can see it.

They will then go into what I call a vermin ruckus and both species will land close to the fallen bird calling it as if to say “what’s up mate, come on get up†etc.

Its at this point that you can shoot a large amount of crows and magpies.

Over Christmas I was shooting with my girlfriend and filmed myself shoot a crow off a TV antenna. Once the bird fell from the antenna (as it hung upside down for a few seconds before falling to the ground) a massive amount of crows and magpies started going mad and swooping over it, landing on the same place and other resting locations as the shot bird originally was sat before I shot it.

In a space of about 5 minutes max I shot another 5 or 6 crows and magpies all on camera with my r10.

Tony (Phantom) has seen the footage when he was at my house over New Year, but I’m saving it for my new DVD as unseen public footage.

What was interesting is that the original crow was at 40 metres with the LRF and the other 5 or 6 were either also at 40 metres or within 18 metres either way maximum on the LRF, showing that they don’t go far from the shot bird when they call at it.

Try it mate, it can be some fun.

Si

One of the best days corvid bashing I ever had was when I had a Redtail Hawk out on his Bow with a nice fresh Rabbit to keep him busy. we set up a small hide and in they came for a bundle with my old Hawk! he really couldn't give a arse while he was on his Rabbit but it wasn't long before they started landing in the trees near us shouting down at my poor old Hawk.

Can't remember exactly how many we got as it was in the late 80's but definitely in the high 20 - 30's.

Jasp

Quality Jasp that buddy, a great little tail :thumbs:

First time i have ever heard that being done, 5 stars buddy *****.

Sneeky and very inventive, i love the idea.

ATB

Si

Edited by zini

Quality Jasp that buddy, a great little tail :thumbs:

First time i have ever heard that being done, 5 stars buddy *****.

Sneeky and very inventive, i love the idea.

ATB

Si

the bloody things come in all the time Si for a Bundle when I'm flying a Hawk :thumbs: ! its annoying but doesn't seem to bother the Hawk too much. it shocks me in the heat of the moment quite how tame the otherwise spooky crows get when in combat with the hawk, I can stand well in the open and they'll still come right in and land momentarly in the trees the hawk is sitting in.

during May, June and july time they're get pretty foisty when a Hawk is in the area and soon start to duel with the bird, definitley some good sport to be had.

atb Jasp