Help please

I have been shooting with my air rifle for a while now and wanted to try decoying. I ordered 6 online but they wont be here for a week or two and being impatient I went and bought three decoys from a shop near me. I got 2 sillosocks, 1 head down and 1 up, and a plastic shell. Will this be enough for the pigeons, and if so how should I arrange them?

Thanks,

Chris

Decoys are only to encourage pigeons into thinking the field they're about to land in has lots of food in it and is safe. so theroeticly, you only need a pigeon to see another pigeon in a field for it to deem it safe. of course the more decoys you have the more chance you have of a pigeon spotting one. get out to the fields you want to shoot on. where are the flightlines (areas which pigeons fly over regurlarly)? when do te pigeons start, stop feeding? what are there favourite fields? find a good area with plenty of natural cover to build a hide. i think you should use this time to recce areas, and build a hide. im not sure 2 decoys will work but you could give it a try. space your decoys about 3-4 yrds apart and facing in different directios, but never with there backs to the wind. as long as theyre pointing vaguely into the wind, thats fine.

pigeons wont waste energy flying around in bad weather they find food and stay close by, but they do have to feed and drink, in realy cold weather you can often pick up a few by sitting it out at a spot that has water and not ice,,, small brook, animal truffs, anywhere they can drink

• 2 weeks later...

thanks ive got a few streams on the permission so ill look out for them there :)

pigeons will prefer to drink from puddles rather than streams

what are the pigeons feeding on at your permission

the two you have shot so far, did you breast them?, as you could then have looked in the crop and seen what they had been feeding on, giving you the heads up