old ferret

Sadly, i've had it a couple of times whereby when a jill gets old and she is sharing a hutch with more younger ferrets then they can become 'outcasts', especially when it comes to feeding time - they get pushed out and forced off until the others have had first dibs.

Suggest shuffling the ferrets around so that the 'nicer ones' are in a hutch with the older one so they can all play nicely - worked for me previously.

ATB

If you have an old ferret how do you all keep them happy :victory:

carry on taking them out ferreting, your post gives the opinion that they should be packed off to an "old ferrets home"

I have 3 generations of ferrets all living in the court, any trips out, at least two olds ones would come along, in a total of around 5

Work them hard in there youth look after them well, retired them at ten and just gave them a odd day when i needed more ferrets .And after that just let them do there own thing .The last two springs they have gone bald and about september there hair grows back but they have bolted enough rabbits to earn there place here as long as they live

• Like 1

Yep I'm with The One and Stubby.Keep em working. My oldest girl is now 12 and for the first time she failed to come into season this year. She is also a bit skinny ,has a re-occuring cyst on her neck and no canine teeth. This has to be her last winter . Or does it ? I've been half expecting to find her curled up cold in the nest for the past three winters but she always pops up with the youngsters when I open the cage door .

She comes out working with the others from time to time and is my best pocket ferret for those " dozen nets and a dog" casual afternoons poking about .

When she really is past-it or stops enjoying her work- as long as she's not suffering- she'll have a home curled-up with her cage -mates for as long as she needs.