Scope for .22 LR

Hi,this has probably been covered before but my computer is very slow and is struggling with the search. Through all my air rifle shooting I always used scopes that were rated 3-9-40 for example, but for .22 rifles people seem to use scopes like a 4x40 as well as the 3-9-40 or something similar. I am about to purchase a CZ 452 Varmint off a friend and am doing my homeowrk as to what scope to save up for now. Hope someone can explain why the difference in the scope power/magnification etc may be of importance! Thanks, Tim.

Hmm, its a matter of personal preference but lets raise some observations

What you know best is probably what you can shoot best with.

Excellent groups can be shot with low mag

Simpler scopes weigh less

Simpler scopes are cheaper, so you may get more for your money if you spend the same

Low to medium mag takes advantage of your wider pupils in marginal light

Low mag gives less problems with parallax and has greater depth of field making near shots easier

Low mag gives wider field of view and makes it easier to find your target quickly

I shoot smaller groups with 6x mag than 3x but no better at 9x

At 9x mag I can see where I have hit a target better

At 12x mag I find it harder to get a sight picture

Over about 20x mag you depth of field is so limited you can use the focus for range finding

To me what separates better scopes from others is their performance in marginal light - you have to decide what's important to you.

With the greater power of a rimfire you don't have to limit yourself to headshots like you do with Standard 12ftlb air, so maybe accuracy is not as vital, but the longer range than you are used to argues the other way.

Deer hunters don't tend to use high magnification but they have big targets.

I don't like to save up for things, I'd rather shoot cheaply now than with expensive kit on a day that may never come.

The old boy with old scope and old rifle usually outshoots the new kid with all the latest gear so spend your time practising

Enjoy it, whatever you decide.

H