Pigeon shooting

I used to go pigeon shooting years ago with my step father, farmers loved us pigeon shooters back then 25 years ago. I mentioned to my local butcher [a keen shotgun man] that I might get back into pigeons, he said you'll be lucky to get a free shoot these days, nearly all pigeon shoots cost, is this true? I can't imagine paying to shoot pigeons......

in some places it is, a few lads local to me pay a local farmer £100 a year each, but he has around 30 shooters, not a bad earner for him, but it sounds like its hard finding an empty field, I was offered a place there earlier on in the year, but turned it down with the same attitude, "I DON'T PAY TO SHOOT PESTS", but on looking at it, it only works out at £2 per week, which for someone who has no permission, aint that bad, Im glad I stuck to my guns though, as only a couple months back, was given over a 1000 acres to shoot for free

No mate thats not true, you get some guys that "buy pigeon land" to sell off to day shooting, some off the continent and most to guys who just dont have, or cant be bothered to get some shooting. Most farmers are happy to have guys shooting pigeons on their land, afterall you are doing them a favour as well as the other way around. I have seen hundreds of acres of rape stripped to the ground on some farms/estates where they dont let guys shoot pigeons for whatever reason, game shoots, syndicates etc.

I sometimes even get my cartridges bought from farmers, having said that with the price of them now that will stop.

You just need to approach farmers with a good attitude, and ask politely if they have anyone controlling pigeons on their land, it helps your case if you see them hammering the crops and mention this, they will know believe me.

Farmers are not ogres, they are human beings just like us and its their livelyhood thats at stake, and most dont have the time to sit for hours shooting them or scaring them.

Get your wellies on and get out there, dont be put off by a few NO's sooner or later you get a yes, that opens the door, trust me.

MERRYXMAS.jpgpigeonsintree.jpg

I would add, dont always hope for everything straight away, the new permission we have just got was for lamping rabbits only, they already had pigeon shooters on other parts of the farm, and although we offered, were told thanks for the offer, but we have pigeon guys, I therefore made it a mission to do good on the rabbits, both evening and very early mornings, on every occassion Id take note on what fields were being hammered by the woodies, and text the info to the farmer telling him to inform his pigeon guys, they all shoot another part of the farm, not this bit (1000 acres)anyway after only a few weeks, he phoned me, giving us woodie permission too :thumbs: happy days