light mouth

my pup started of soft mouthed, but after a few months of ferreting and starting her of on the lamp she has started to be hard mouthed, she sometimes kills the rabbits, sometimes she doesn't, she doesn't rag them or rip them, and they are good enough for me to eat, so i don't mind, i'm not sure if you can teach a dog to be soft mouthed, cheers......john :thumbs:

I got told, training with the lightest of dummys helps as they dont have to bite so hard to keep a firm grip

i have heard this aswell mate, but when i was training my pup i used a rabbit skin stuffed with straw, i suppose what works for some , won't for others.:thumbs:

Some dogs are naturally soft mouthed,some are,nt.Young dogs learning their trade are usually over keen and will mouth prey more,once they become accustomed to regular catching they settle down and relax.If they are hunted on bigger prey,especially if it bites back,then it should,nt be a problem anyway.