1ST DIG HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not exactly an expert with terriers as you'll realise from this post (have a lurcher) but my mate has a little patterdale dog which he wants to take out, bearing in mind this is the dogs first outing of anykind any tips on how we should go about it or do we just put him straight in at the deep end, my mates convinced he'll be able to do the job or at least not shy away. the dog is a proper little nutcase (with cats anyway lol) so i don't doubt him myself !!!! also he would rather start him in a hole that is not to deep, is there any way of telling the depth? we are both complete novices and have never done a dig before so any advice be helpful cheers (don't say leave the dog and go to the boozer! ha ha)

from edinburgh mate yeah do know some terrier men so probs better to go with them. we were planning going ourselves incase the dog runs a mile save the embarassment lol no locator and 2 rookies maybe it is better i get the terrier man show us the ropes!!!!!!!!! cheers

Remember you will need a shotgun or firearm with you to comply with the law in Scotland and permission from farmer you must also be able to tell the difference between signs of Fox and Badger .

do your self a big favour get yourself a locater forget bar and sound them days are gone