Show me you merles please

Guest crobinc840

I was told this is a merle(red)?????????????????Won't see her in a show ring though

100_00282.jpg

100_0078.jpg

Damn show pony! No place on a working mans working dog site, shame on you! :tongue2:

But is she a merle?I personally wouldn't give a monkeys if she was pink with green spots aslong has she carries on doing what she does :thumbs:

When you mentioned it i had a good look and you can see touches of red, but no funny eye and not much color, maybe she carries the red merle gene and expresses it a bit but not much, would be interesting to see if she passed any of the gene on. Interestingly, if you had two like her and didnt realise the merle gene in either and mated them could you produce a whole load of deformities? Hmmmm :hmm: Either way like you said who cares what color she is she works like a trooper! I've started calling finn 'the color of midnight under a starless sky' :o

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I understood it as when averaged out half the pups will turn out this way,whatever the percentage its a no no,

I dont want an argument but read what you just wrote again. . . . "I hope there is a way to breed a good looking dog that is functional otherwise there will be a seperation in lurchers that has happen

Posted Images

Guest crobinc840

Reading this thread you realise some folk just like merle dogs, or like their merle dog anyhow, for others look really is the MOST important thing. Not knocking a pretty dog, but being happy with the pretty dog you end up with is one thing and breeding to get a 'pretty dog' or litter of 'pretty dogs'. . . . .

I don't think anyone here thinks that looks are the most important thing otherwise we would be on a different site. I am a fan of the colour and find it interesting but that was not the first thing I thought of when chosing my puppy or having a litter. I hope there is a way to breed a good looking dog that is functional otherwise there will be a seperation in Lurchers that has happened in other breeds "looks" and "workability". Looking at the pictures on here I am happy to see it is possible to have both. :thumbs:

I dont want an argument but read what you just wrote again. . . . "I hope there is a way to breed a good looking dog that is functional otherwise there will be a seperation in lurchers that has happened in other breeds' - so what your saying is that in order to stop lurchers being bred for the wrong reasons and to conserve working ability we all need to concentrate on producing pretty working dogs, so that show and pet breeders can breed for looks and we can still have decent workers?. The 'seperation' in lurchers or any working breeds between looks/function does not come from having ugly or at least normal looking lurchers, it comes from muppets who 'fancy' the idea of a 'working type' who dont work their dogs and then breed for colors and looks, hoping a certain percentage of the litter will be 'cryptic brindle merles' or that their eyes will have 'geometric splits' etc.

I'm saying the muppets that you are speaking about are not on here but yes there are people that breed for looks and they show them. Look at the difference between working German Shepards and show ones. I am hoping people don't try to seperate lurchers by saying because it looks good it must not be a worker. :thumbdown: I am interested in genetics as you have pointed it out but in no way does it cause me to ruin a breed. As hogdog has pointed out merle can cause problems especially if doubled. If I was interested in making pretty money makers I could have used my merle Astra Border Colllie to breed back into red Astra lines. I wanted a stronger genetic base that I could hunt with. It was for me only. It would be nice if people could just show pictures of their dogs without being put down for the colour. Can't we all just get along? :blink:

"The muppets that you are speaking of are not on here'. . . . . . . . riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight :blink:

I wasn't putting down the dogs for the color, there are plenty of very fine looking workers on this thread (paid - that dog of yours looks a good type, racy but strong), i was just highlighting the absurdity of breeding a working animal with anything else in mind than its ability to perform the task required (obviously including temperament etc as well). Aye i'm a sucker for a merle as well and if i had a few dogs to choose from, all equally as good i may well go for the merle, but i wouldnt be trying to breed merles on purpose or in fact breeding ANY lurchers just for the sake of it, when there are so many decent pups wasted. Apart from personal desire (and hey that a fair motivator i guess) what did the dam and sire of your pups achieve in order to justify taking a litter? And at what age? And are there the pups you ALREADY have a stud lined up for? No digs just dont get it :thumbs:

I'm going to wear a sign so everyone will know, "I'm new to hunting with dogs." If you want my life story I can pm it to you. Can we let this post stay on track for all the people with merles or want to see them? It's obvious you have an issue with me. :thumbs:

I was told this is a merle(red)?????????????????Won't see her in a show ring though

Damn show pony! No place on a working mans working dog site, shame on you! :tongue2:

But is she a merle?I personally wouldn't give a monkeys if she was pink with green spots aslong has she carries on doing what she does :thumbs:

When you mentioned it i had a good look and you can see touches of red, but no funny eye and not much color, maybe she carries the red merle gene and expresses it a bit but not much, would be interesting to see if she passed any of the gene on. Interestingly, if you had two like her and didnt realise the merle gene in either and mated them could you produce a whole load of deformities? Hmmmm :hmm: Either way like you said who cares what color she is she works like a trooper! I've started calling finn 'the color of midnight under a starless sky' :o

That Finn is the blackest dog I've ever seen :thumbs:

I think if you shaved the gremlin, you would see a lot more of the merle

before

DSCF5200.jpg

after

DSCF5204.jpg

Yours is a lot darker though, so it shows up less

Gremiln!!!.....Ssssssshhhh she's led next to me she may hear you :laugh: :laugh: was going to call her Gizmo or Batfink :tongue2:

Reading this thread you realise some folk just like merle dogs, or like their merle dog anyhow, for others look really is the MOST important thing. Not knocking a pretty dog, but being happy with the pretty dog you end up with is one thing and breeding to get a 'pretty dog' or litter of 'pretty dogs'. . . . .

I don't think anyone here thinks that looks are the most important thing otherwise we would be on a different site. I am a fan of the colour and find it interesting but that was not the first thing I thought of when chosing my puppy or having a litter. I hope there is a way to breed a good looking dog that is functional otherwise there will be a seperation in Lurchers that has happened in other breeds "looks" and "workability". Looking at the pictures on here I am happy to see it is possible to have both. :thumbs:

I dont want an argument but read what you just wrote again. . . . "I hope there is a way to breed a good looking dog that is functional otherwise there will be a seperation in lurchers that has happened in other breeds' - so what your saying is that in order to stop lurchers being bred for the wrong reasons and to conserve working ability we all need to concentrate on producing pretty working dogs, so that show and pet breeders can breed for looks and we can still have decent workers?. The 'seperation' in lurchers or any working breeds between looks/function does not come from having ugly or at least normal looking lurchers, it comes from muppets who 'fancy' the idea of a 'working type' who dont work their dogs and then breed for colors and looks, hoping a certain percentage of the litter will be 'cryptic brindle merles' or that their eyes will have 'geometric splits' etc.

I'm saying the muppets that you are speaking about are not on here but yes there are people that breed for looks and they show them. Look at the difference between working German Shepards and show ones. I am hoping people don't try to seperate lurchers by saying because it looks good it must not be a worker. :thumbdown: I am interested in genetics as you have pointed it out but in no way does it cause me to ruin a breed. As hogdog has pointed out merle can cause problems especially if doubled. If I was interested in making pretty money makers I could have used my merle Astra Border Colllie to breed back into red Astra lines. I wanted a stronger genetic base that I could hunt with. It was for me only. It would be nice if people could just show pictures of their dogs without being put down for the colour. Can't we all just get along? :blink:

"The muppets that you are speaking of are not on here'. . . . . . . . riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight :blink:

I wasn't putting down the dogs for the color, there are plenty of very fine looking workers on this thread (paid - that dog of yours looks a good type, racy but strong), i was just highlighting the absurdity of breeding a working animal with anything else in mind than its ability to perform the task required (obviously including temperament etc as well). Aye i'm a sucker for a merle as well and if i had a few dogs to choose from, all equally as good i may well go for the merle, but i wouldnt be trying to breed merles on purpose or in fact breeding ANY lurchers just for the sake of it, when there are so many decent pups wasted. Apart from personal desire (and hey that a fair motivator i guess) what did the dam and sire of your pups achieve in order to justify taking a litter? And at what age? And are there the pups you ALREADY have a stud lined up for? No digs just dont get it :thumbs:

I'm going to wear a sign so everyone will know, "I'm new to hunting with dogs." If you want my life story I can pm it to you. Can we let this post stay on track for all the people with merles or want to see them? It's obvious you have an issue with me. :thumbs:

Its a fourm, this is a thread, they are somewhat fluid things, and this is still a discussion about merles. I REALLY dont have an issue with YOU, i honestly dont, although i do find it odd that your new to hunting with dogs and yet have already bred a litter of 'hunting dogs' (lurchers), something most people only do after a long process by which they find some dogs truly worth using to create a half dozen or more new life forms. For someone who is new to hunting with dogs and wanting to learn you spend a lot more of your time worrying about the wrong things and handing out advice on here and perhaps should spend a bit more out trying to learn, just an idea. But each to their own. If you fancy pm'n me your life story your welcome. . . . .. i'm snowed in, recovering from a cold and rapidly running out of tobaco and hope, so something to read might break up the evening. Atb and really like i said, i've no problem with YOU. :thumbs:

I know mate, every time i leave the room i take my truck keys with me! Came back the other day and he was high on crack listening to NWA. . . . . .i'm at me wits end. :icon_eek:

I know mate, every time i leave the room i take my truck keys with me! Came back the other day and he was high on crack listening to NWA. . . . . .i'm at me wits end. :icon_eek:

Thats just the way he rolls :laugh: :laugh:

I'm thinking of re-naming him 'OJ'. :thumbs:

Theyseemerollin.jpg

bat fink :toast:

looks a handy dog to me :thumbs:

Certainly doesnt need a good nose, with ears like that :-)

Yeh I know paid she's one of them new dogs.........a sound-hound :tongue2: :tongue2: can hear a pin drop in the next county :laugh:

She's not a bad grafter...... :thumbs:

5/8 greyhound 3/8 radar dish. Good grafter and picks up sky + which is a bonus :thumbs:

Yeh I know paid she's one of them new dogs.........a sound-hound :tongue2: :tongue2: can hear a pin drop in the next county :laugh:

5/8 greyhound 3/8 radar dish. Good grafter and picks up sky + which is a bonus :thumbs:

in HD :laugh: :laugh:

in HD :laugh: :laugh:

And if the connection on your lamp ever goes she can always use sonar :laugh: Now thats what i call an all rounder!