Is the .17HMR more accurate than the .22LR?

Oh come off it :laugh:

The HMR is undeniably more accurate than the .22LR , I'm suprised theres even any discussion about this!!

It has almost 3x as much energy (245ft/lbs) to (95ft/lbs subs) and much higher velocity (2550fps) to (1000fps)

Its obvious that its gonna be more accurate lol :laugh:

You obviously know jack all about ballistics mate, neither factor has anything to do with accuracy.

If your comparison is at 100yards then the HMR will be more consistent, at 50yards I'd bet there'd be nothing in it,

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for that.so if zeroed at 80 yards what groups would you expect at 200.i aint had the timeto try it out yet.most of my shots have been sub 100 yards at the mo.but withthe flat shooting the hmr delivers just thinking what would be the best distance to zero at.was told 130 yards ? not to sure tho

thanks for that.so if zeroed at 80 yards what groups would you expect at 200.i aint had the timeto try it out yet.most of my shots have been sub 100 yards at the mo.but withthe flat shooting the hmr delivers just thinking what would be the best distance to zero at.was told 130 yards ? not to sure tho

Most zero their hmr between 100 and 130 to get the most from the flat trajectory, similar to the 50/60yd zero argument with .22subs. Don't worry about 200yds for a while that's a long way out for hmr. Best to stretch the distance out slowly.

Edited by stillair1

Most zero their hmr between 100 and 130 to get the most from the flat trajectory, similar to the 50/60yd zero argument with .22subs. Don't worry about 200yds for a while that's a long way out for hmr. Best to stretch the distance out slowly.

thank you.dont know what distances i will be shooting at.hard to tell the diff from 120 yards to 200 just by looking across a field.im not into all this balistic stuff and that.just need a good zero yardish average to get me results on the crows.

It flies nice and flat so distance isn't really critical. I do mine at 50 because it easy to see where you're hitting (and it's the same as my LR). I give it a fine tune at 120 when time and space allows but 40 is around primary zero so anything over that will get you where you need to be.

I have both.

Down to pure accuracy choice.

Sorry I don't do that.

I take one or the other depending on other reasons.

I know my POI & milldot readings for the 22lr. I mostly shoot sub 100yds with it.

Apart from target shooting at 115yds my only hunting shot over 100yds was a 116yd crow.

Smacked in the place i aimed at.

I've not shot or compared back to back but will say the HMR will be accurate at distancies you can't even dream of normally with the 22lr. Sub 100yds, both the same, more loopy with the 22lr but for hunting use accuracy is within the majic death zone circle.

You cannot & will never guarentee pin point accuray with hunting shots, the target moves too much.