ferreting dogs

Don't have a dog myself but when out with my friend and his dog we just let her wonder and do her own thing. Found that she knows what's going on under there more than we do as she knows which hole it will be every time.

Spot on..... A Dogs Hearing is far far superior to ours and will often follow the action going on underneath his/her feet ( I wonder if they also feel the vibrations :hmm: )

Yes..... a young Dog will sometimes ' go in ' to early for a Rabbit when it is just sat inside the mouth of the hole unsure whether to bolt or not :hmm: :hmm: they soon learn to let them cross that ' invisible ' line before going in for a strike..... experience is the only teacher :thumbs:

If its a young dog that's made a mark I'll have it lay quietly by the hole its marked while I set the nets leaving the one next to the dog until last . Obviously the rabbits will be aware of the dog but I think it keeps a pup feeling that it is truly involved in the whole operation .

Once the ferret is in I'll keep it with me out of the direct line of the holes.

Once the dog knows the game I may place it in a tactical position to cover exits I may not be able to see clearly . I've no problem with a calm experienced dog that calmly moves to another position with a purpose as ,has been said, doggy senses are far better tuned to underground activity than our own .

Its only a personal thing but I find dogs that potter aimlessly over the burrows while the nets are being set or when the ferret is down a real annoyance . They break the concentration ,disturb nets and often put the rabbits off clean bolting .

In the real world though perfection is more often an aim than a realisation :D:thumbs:

Edited by comanche

I,m awe confused :icon_eek: only joking,most of the stuff on this thread is good advice Liam,once you get oot there ferreting you will develope your own style :gunsmilie: ,if you have a good bond with your dog and have done the basic training you will be able to read your dog and vice versa,the type of dog you use will also have an influence on how you/dog/ferrets work together,happy hunting,cheers, :thumbs:

Don't have a dog myself but when out with my friend and his dog we just let her wonder and do her own thing. Found that she knows what's going on under there more than we do as she knows which hole it will be every time.

Spot on..... A Dogs Hearing is far far superior to ours and will often follow the action going on underneath his/her feet ( I wonder if they also feel the vibrations :hmm: )

Yes..... a young Dog will sometimes ' go in ' to early for a Rabbit when it is just sat inside the mouth of the hole unsure whether to bolt or not :hmm: :hmm: they soon learn to let them cross that ' invisible ' line before going in for a strike..... experience is the only teacher :thumbs:

Well said.. :thumbs:

If its a young dog that's made a mark I'll have it lay quietly by the hole its marked while I set the nets leaving the one next to the dog until last . Obviously the rabbits will be aware of the dog but I think it keeps a pup feeling that it is truly involved in the whole operation .

Once the ferret is in I'll keep it with me out of the direct line of the holes.

Once the dog knows the game I may place it in a tactical position to cover exits I may not be able to see clearly . I've no problem with a calm experienced dog that calmly moves to another position with a purpose as ,has been said, doggy senses are far better tuned to underground activity than our own .

Its only a personal thing but I find dogs that potter aimlessly over the burrows while the nets are being set or when the ferret is down a real annoyance . They break the concentration ,disturb nets and often put the rabbits off clean bolting .

In the real world though perfection is more often an aim than a realisation :D:thumbs:

Agree with most of the above.. Apart from"potter aimlessly" A Well worked net dog isnt doing anything aimlessly, it has its own reasoning and purpose.. It will learn not to disturb nets etc, if it is aloud to learn...

You cant beat watching a good dog work the ground....

• Like 1

thanks for all the comments and roxy i already go out with my dog a ferrets but i went out the other day with a mate and is dog just layed or sat down out the way and he said thats how the dog is ment to work the ferrets but i have allways let my og mark the set and then just liseten for where the rabbit is goin to bolt but thanks for all the adivce and atb

Well said runforyourlife.... never a truer word spoken :thumbs:

People have different opinions on what they like. I like the Dog to 'HOLD' the Rabbit in the Net ( There is a VAST difference between HOLDING/GUARDING the Rabbit and a Dog that smashes into a Rabbit in the Net.... the type where it turns into some kind of WWF Wrestling Bout just to get the Rabbit and Net from down the Dogs throat :wallbash: )

at the end of the day..... a Dog can get there far far quicker than you can.

I like the Dog to find it's own spot..... it can hear what is going on under the Turf far better than i can.

I agree with RFYL,let them follow the action....(Dogs that charge up and down like a Decapitated Chicken at the slightest noise are as much use as a Chocolate Fireguard :censored: )a Dog that CALMLY follows the action is a different story :thumbs:

I have a Bitch here who is not worth a squirt of Monkeys piss as a Ferreting Dog.

She will Mark and all the rest of it BUT..... she is the Decapitated Chicken type and will ' Do one '(f*ck off) when there is a bit of a lull in the action :thumbdown: Dogs like her have ' NO PLACE' on a Days Ferreting...... they are about as much use as a Chocalate Fireguard and are best left at home :yes:..... she IS NOT a FERRETING DOG and never will be :no::no: so her Ferreting days are just a distant memory.