shooting hares

Guest oldskool

in a scale of 1-10 i dont see much difference in sport between lampin them with a .22 and driving them into a row of guns..... ALTHOUGH, i think lamping them with a .22 is more humane, when the spotlight hits a hare it often only stands up or squats and a well place shot with a .22 is 8 out of 10 alot quicker than the hail of a shotgun trying to find a moving target... it should be said that with both guns there is always one that will find a new leash of life a stumble on a bit further but i think its more so with shotguns aimed at hares.... JMO!!! if i'd my way it would be dogs all the time but as said before its not always possible to run a dog so the next most humane method is shooting... imo, with a rifle :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest freestate hunter cfc
i think if i was a hare ide rather be shot that coursed by a dog....bang dead ....or bang ..missed ..off he plods

your trying to make it sound like it the hares welfare your out after but it not its the thrill of the run you like(as would i} dont try to kid yourself a gun is as humane as a dog

I was out one day last year with a few hunting partners and came across a shooting party,they were doing a hare cull about 35 to 40 gunmen.They had surrounded this field and started moving in there were around 40 to 50 hares in it and started shooting.The hares were running every were there was hares coming by us wounded and some needed 2 or 3 shoots to kill them i never seen anything like it.So were is the bang its dead or bang missed there, bang wounded or bang bang its dead .(If it dosnt fly dont shoot it )thats my mado.

i have seen both sides shooting and coursing. for a healthy population its running dogs or hounds everytime. the fittest animals will get away weaker animals will be caught and killed IF done responsibly at the right times of year. shooting is a quicker way of reducing the population which in some areas may be required however as some others have said you cannot tell a good hare from a bad when your swinging through with a shot gun. you will reduce numbers shooting but not neccisarly leaving the best. with dogs its either killed or it gets away. the real arseholes were those behind the ban. i know of a number of estates which ran organised coursing which unable to let it continue after the ban started culling hares to prevent illegal coursing. the ban has meant nearly all of us are forced to break the law at the end of the day we are all country people keeper poacher whatever. (i'm going to get so much stick for that i can tell!)

this is a topic which as been brought up many times and will be again,it is a sad state of affairs when a man and his dog cant legally go out and course this majestic athlete,i was brought up and still am in the opinion that hares should be run and not shot it,s to easy and unsporting,i may well upset afew people here with my next statement but if the shooting fraternity had stuck with the coursing and running dog fraternity and had given their upmost support perhaps we wouldn,t be in the position we are in today.there,s to much power and money in the shooting fraternity that the coursing and running dog lads have suffered most with the ban whilst the shooting brigade as prospered with the demise of the coursing ban i know there as always been a rift between the coursing lads and the shooting brigade ,but like the saying goe,s money talk,s.regards collie john.

this is a topic which as been brought up many times and will be again,it is a sad state of affairs when a man and his dog cant legally go out and course this majestic athlete,i was brought up and still am in the opinion that hares should be run and not shot it,s to easy and unsporting,i may well upset afew people here with my next statement but if the shooting fraternity had stuck with the coursing and running dog fraternity and had given their upmost support perhaps we wouldn,t be in the position we are in today.there,s to much power and money in the shooting fraternity that the coursing and running dog lads have suffered most with the ban whilst the shooting brigade as prospered with the demise of the coursing ban i know there as always been a rift between the coursing lads and the shooting brigade ,but like the saying goe,s money talk,s.regards collie john.

i think your right colliejohn there always has been a rift between coursing and shooting which is a real shame. hunting and terrier work have managed to carry on within the law but there was no chance for running dog lads. hopefully the ban has put the shits up those who shoot and fish but don't hunt or course so they realise they need to get behind overturning the ban and stick together in the future or we are all f****d. money does talk but shooting folk need to realise that they can't just ditch the hunters to save there own skin it won't work.

Guest big brad

i recently had words with a so called lurcherlad who as he had no dog at moment was shooting hares out of a van at night and then was stupid enough to tell me it was on some of the best coursing land near me and after years of trying the owner was now turning a blind eye to me running my dogs on there i suggested that when he does get another dog he gets a hare killer as he obviously feels inadequate

Guest markbrick1

alot of farmers want them shot because of the hassle they have with arseholes who lamp and course them illegally its a shame but a sad fact.

What makes you call them arseholes Magwitch , have you never poached ?????

only eggs my dear fellow :laugh:

:clapper: that says it all !!!! you must be a lucky man not having to do it ... good luck to you , :clapper:

Ill tell you who the arseholes are , the lads who poached , then get a bit of land and tern into keepers , and forget were they started ..... ;):D

I COULDNT AGREE MORE THE WANKERS WHO PRETEND THEY OWN THE LAND WITH THERE GUN DOGS AND FANCY HAT ON AND MOST LIVE ON ESTATES

Guest markbrick1

This afternoon drove by field locally.Shooters out in field.guess what theyre shooting? HARES.

Yes I know it goes on and that its legal and that they shoot thousands of hares legally a year but who agrees with it?

the same person who shoots them probably thinks that coursing is "dispicable"

weather we ferret, shoot, trap or dog.... we are all hunters and are all targeted. we should be sticking together.

MOST PEOPLE WOULD AGREE WITH THAT BUT LURCHER PEOPLE ARE BOTTOM OF THE LADDER WORKIN CLASS LOOK AT THESE TOFFS WHO RIDE AND SHOOTERS THEY LOOK DOWN AT US I OWN A 70 ACRE FARM AND WOULD LET A YOUNG LAD COARSE A HARE ON HERE ITS ALSO NEXT TO A BIG PHEASANT SHOOT AND THE BIRDS FLY OVER HERE BUT NO WAY I WILL LET THEM FALSE FECKERS SHOOT ON HERE YOU SHOULD GO TO THE LOCAL AFTER A SHOOT YOUVE NEVER HEARD AS MUCH SHIT THEY ALL GET IN THERE 4X4S AND GO HOME TO THERE BARRET HOUSES U WOULD THINK EVERYONE IS A LORD

Hi, Markbrick; I run a 4 x 4, live in a Barratt house and am going to a shoot tomorow, but I'll be beating !! (and giving the lurcher a run between beats !), don't lump everyone in together. It's a pheasant shoot, not a hare shoot, which I disagree with, simply 'cause I love to see a dog on a hare, not a 12 bore !

Cheers.

Guest markbrick1
Hi, Markbrick; I run a 4 x 4, live in a Barratt house and am going to a shoot tomorow, but I'll be beating !! (and giving the lurcher a run between beats !), don't lump everyone in together. It's a pheasant shoot, not a hare shoot, which I disagree with, simply 'cause I love to see a dog on a hare, not a 12 bore !

Cheers.

OK SORRY TO A FEW BUT YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN???? I HAVE OWNED AND WORKED LURCHERS 40 YRS AND I KNOW THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE LOOK UPON US AS SCUM YEA SOME MIGHT BE BUT THERE ARE A FEW IN EVERY CLASS THANKS MARK

well lads the anti's don't have to do much to ban our sports you lot seem to be doing enough for them,i can see arguements for both sides,but surely we do not need to tell the world how cruel the other mans sport is if we are trying to keep country sports alive.i've been in field sports now for over 30 years and this is the worst time i have known the sport i love, to be in its also the first time i've seen true hunters bicker with each other,i know passions run high but just remember not all of us on this sight are pro hunting.and on that note HAPPY NEW YEAR

:drink::drink::drink:

I cant help thinking we didnt help ourselves with popularising our running dogs shows organised meets idiots going on t.v telling the country what their dogs are taking and lumping ourselves with the hunting fraternity what was the poor mans pot filler became a status symbol perhaps if we had kept out of the limelight the lurcher would have been overlooked

Guest markbrick1
I cant help thinking we didnt help ourselves with popularising our running dogs shows organised meets idiots going on t.v telling the country what their dogs are taking and lumping ourselves with the hunting fraternity what was the poor mans pot filler became a status symbol perhaps if we had kept out of the limelight the lurcher would have been overlooked

THATS WHAT A LURCHER IS ABOUT KEEPING OUT OF THE LIME LIGHT I MIGHT DO ALOT OF BRAGGIN AND STIRING IN SUMMER AT THESE SHOWS BUT THE DOGS ARE OUT ALL WINTER AND I DONT SAY A LOT. NOW READ SOME OF THE THREADS ON HERE LISTEN TO SOME OF THE STORIES AT THE SHOWS AND THATS WHAT THEY ARE STORIES AND NO WONDER ITS BANNED THE GAME IS FULL OF IDIOTS ,YES THERE ARE SOME GENUINE HONEST PEOPLE WITH LURCHERS BUT ITS GOT MORE THEN ITS SHARE OF DICKHEADS

IMO despite how much i enjoy these sites it was the internet plus to many easily obtained vids of the wrong sort amongst other things that did the damage to are way of life.

Even if you go back only 15 years or so the antis etc knew what we did and that and ok you still got them at the waterloo etc but they didn,t have much of a clu about the rest,they didn,t have the info they,v had for the last 5-10 years or so,we were more or less ghosts,what went wrong eh?

Edited by dodger
Guest whitser

i shot a hare a few years back. it wasn't a clean kill and from that day on i've never shot at one. i prefer to see them about the place and watch a lurcher run them. my own lurcher courses a few during the year and very rarely if ever gets one,to be honest i like to see him get away,after a good course.